So...... I want to build an amp.

• Thread starter domct203
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

domct203

Reaction score
A 50W Plexi to be specific.

I've seen layouts from Ceriatone & Triode, but I'm not sure of the different varieties (mods) of the circuit.

I really do not want to buy a kit, not only are they overpriced, I'd rather do this a little at a time and buy what I need as I go along.

I would appreciate any tips, tricks, info, links etc. (common mods/changes too) info on building a 50W 1987 lead as well as places to get supplies. I've used Hoffmann Amps quite a bit, anywhere else good?

I'm doing this for fun, and besides, I think we should all own a plexi at least once!

Dom

illwood

Reaction score
Tubedepot.com is a decent place to pick up parts. I wouldn't source everything there as they can be a bit pricey and there was some thread about imposter Cliff jacks.

Mojotone.com is a good source for the same parts as Tube Depot, but with more hardware and tolex options IMO.

Mouser.com, Digikey.com, and Newark.com are general purpose electronics resellers and are good sources for capacitor, resistors, potentiometers. . .

Are you going to do a turret board, eyelet, or point-to-point?

Where are you located in CT? I see the "somewhere in time" so, Waterbury? Timex, somewhere in time, get it. . .

Ok, I'll go home now. . .

domct203

Reaction score
Tubedepot.com is a decent place to pick up parts. I wouldn't source everything there as they can be a bit pricey and there was some thread about imposter Cliff jacks.

Mojotone.com is a good source for the same parts as Tube Depot, but with more hardware and tolex options IMO.

Mouser.com, Digikey.com, and Newark.com are general purpose electronics resellers and are good sources for capacitor, resistors, potentiometers. . .

Are you going to do a turret board, eyelet, or point-to-point?

Where are you located in CT? I see the "somewhere in time" so, Waterbury? Timex, somewhere in time, get it. . .

Ok, I'll go home now. . .
"Somewhere in time..." it's a band joke- it means that know matter where I am, I'm "in time" (even if it's the wrong piece LOL).

Turret board build, and I'm familiar with Digikey, Mouser, Small-bear, Hoffmann amps, & Mojo Tone.

I've built a champ kit for a friend, cool little amp.

Any resources on the turret board layout and various component mods?

Dom

illwood

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have any more layout sources up my sleeve other than Ceriatone. There are some good build instructions available for download with the Tube Depot kits, but there aren't any 1987 ones.

The only amp I have built to date (Firefly) was a layout that I created from the schematic. I did learn on that one to keep the leads to and from the OT as short as possible and away from the tone circuit (amp shrieks a bit at loud volumes).

damienbeale

Reaction score
I'd be incredibly surprised if you can put together everything with good quality cheaper than buying the triode kit.

Metroamp instructions are probably the best favour you could do yourself. Download, digest, and follow. You may have to vary a little depending on the parts you get, but Valvestorm should have everything compatible with these kit instructions. Valvestorms wiring kit is a must for the first timer as well. That pre-tinned wire holds its shape nicely.

Don't scrimp on transformers, or filter caps. But don't waste money blowing out on Mercury either...

domct203

Reaction score
I'd be incredibly surprised if you can put together everything with good quality cheaper than buying the triode kit.

Metroamp instructions are probably the best favour you could do yourself. Download, digest, and follow. You may have to vary a little depending on the parts you get, but Valvestorm should have everything compatible with these kit instructions. Valvestorms wiring kit is a must for the first timer as well. That pre-tinned wire holds its shape nicely.

Don't scrimp on transformers, or filter caps. But don't waste money blowing out on Mercury either...
It sounds like the Triode kit is a quality kit then? I see it's less then $300 without transformers & chassis (I was going to use Marstran or Lydian iron).

I'm going to look into Metroamp as well but from what I've read so far it looks like George lost all his website data......

Dom