• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

So weird, speaker produces no sound at all

• Thread starter Tao1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tao1

Reaction score
Hi
I just bought a 16ohms 90s g12t 75w. I replaced my old g12h with it. I’m sure that the speaker wiring is right(red+,black-). And I’m sure that the amp output resistance is in accordance with the resistance of the speaker(both 16ohms). After I connected it with my 50w amp, no sound at all. I immediately use another 16ohms speaker with my amp, it made sound and worked well. So no problem on the amp.
I started to do testing. Firstly I tested the resistance of the speaker(around 13.8ohms,looks good though?). So, I powered the speaker with a 1.5V battery, and it produced sound. Finally, I checked the continuity from the positive and negative terminals to the tip of the speaker jack, all are continuous.
It’s so weird. I feel that I have ruled out all possible faults, but the speaker still does not produce any sound. Do you have any insights? This is driving my curiosity.

dtier

Reaction score
There has to be a missing part of the puzzle. Are you using the same jack to plug it in? Sometimes a plug will not break the ground connection if the output jack has that arrangement.

Tao1

Reaction score
There has to be a missing part of the puzzle. Are you using the same jack to plug it in? Sometimes a plug will not break the ground connection if the output jack has that arrangement.
Hi
Did you mean speaker jack? I have 2 cabinets, one has no sound, the other works fine. They have different jack. It’s also really weird that before I installed the g12t, the old g12h works well in the exact same cab

dtier

Reaction score
Hi
Did you mean speaker jack? I have 2 cabinets, one has no sound, the other works fine. They have different jack. It’s also really weird that before I installed the g12t, the old g12h works well in the exact same cab
I was thinking a combo but I was referring to the speaker output jack on the amp. If you are using the same speaker cable for both cabs and the same speaker output jack then that's not the issue.

Latest posts