So who got/gets your favorite tone out of a Marshall?

• Thread starter Zensee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What?

Reaction score
Let’s not forget here the man who started all this, Jimi Hendrix

I thought it was Pete Townsend.

But Hendrix took it out of this world. I read recently that Hendrix was into reading sci-fi, which had an influence on his lyrics (Purple Haze, for example).

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I thought it was Pete Townsend.

But Hendrix took it out of this world. I read recently that Hendrix was into reading sci-fi, which had an influence on his lyrics (Purple Haze, for example).

Don't like to not give credit to Jimi for anything but I believe Eric was the first person to find out what happened when you put it on 11 and played a solo. In fact Jimi went to Eric to ask him what amps to get when he came to the UK. Of course as you say Jimi took it much further than Eric ever could.

junk notes

Reaction score
Don't like to not give credit to Jimi for anything but I believe Eric was the first person to find out what happened when you put it on 11 and played a solo. In fact Jimi went to Eric to ask him what amps to get when he came to the UK. Of course as you say Jimi took it much further than Eric ever could.
The Brit's had initial animosity toward Jimi and was even caught on film IIRC. Eric was his biggest fan. not.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Hands down Jimi Hendrix at Monterey pop... That JTM45/100 sounds absolutley incredible to me and this performance is by far his and the best Marshall tone ever in my opinion. The amp sounds so clean yet almost ready to explode at the same time... pure fiery rock n roll. I have yet to hear anyone get THAT sound out of any Marshall. Over the years I migrated from being a big fan of his later tone with the superleads to really appreciate his early sound with the JTM45/100, so much so that I am not really interested in his later tone anymore. There is just something so raw and organic with the early amp and germanium fuzz face combo that just cant be beat imo.

What?

Reaction score
Hands down Jimi Hendrix at Monterey pop... That JTM45/100 sounds absolutley incredible to me and this performance is by far his and the best Marshall tone ever in my opinion. The amp sounds so clean yet almost ready to explode at the same time... pure fiery rock n roll. I have yet to hear anyone get THAT sound out of any Marshall. Over the years I migrated from being a big fan of his later tone with the superleads to really appreciate his early sound with the JTM45/100, so much so that I am not really interested in his later tone anymore. There is just something so raw and organic with the early amp and germanium fuzz face combo that just cant be beat imo.

Damn good stuff. Forget the tone. The playing... Lose, wild, furiously fast, expressive as all hell.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Damn good stuff. Forget the tone. The playing... Lose, wild, furiously fast, expressive as all hell.

I couldn't agree more! Its a shame because to me you can really hear Jimi burning out, atleast energy wise by the end of '68. The energy he possessed early in his career is just on another level, tho there are glimpses of it all thru his career, '67-'68 his live performances and tone are just on another level.

Tho this maybe starting to get off topic but still in the realm of Marshall tone... I obsessively wonder what was going on with his gear that night. You can hear a bad cable thru the night "popping" and "clicking" and he left his fuzz face on, to me there is some extra distortion going on... A blown speaker? His clean has such a gritty undertone i have never heard duplicated nor have i ever been able to reproduce.

What?

Reaction score
Tho this maybe starting to get off topic but still in the realm of Marshall tone... I obsessively wonder what was going on with his gear that night. You can hear a bad cable thru the night "popping" and "clicking" and he left his fuzz face on, to me there is some extra distortion going on... A blown speaker? His clean has such a gritty undertone i have never heard duplicated nor have i ever been able to reproduce.

You talking about how the bass in his tone is loose at times?

Zensee

Reaction score
So many- but those that really were the biggest

Anything Robbo

You can forward to 2:30

Specifically Adrian

Adrian is one of my all time favorite songwriters.
Dave is great but Adrian wrote so many more classic songs. Every time I see them live i try to get a good spot facing him lol.

jeffb

Reaction score
Adrian is one of my all time favorite songwriters.
Dave is great but Adrian wrote so many more classic songs. Every time I see them live i try to get a good spot facing him lol.

I don't know if you or anyone else noticed because its cut off in the title, but that vid I posted has Dave's guitar pulled back nearly out of the mix. (There's also a version where Adrian's is done the same way). I love Dave too, he's as essential as Steve or anyone else, but I always learned and played Adrian's parts. Never had a desire to learn Dave's work. Adrian's playing is so much more interesting and less straightforward.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
The Brit's had initial animosity toward Jimi and was even caught on film IIRC. Eric was his biggest fan. not.
Hhhmm. A friend of my wife was very on the scene in the 60s and she saw either the Experiences first or a very early gig. She said the crowd went nuts. Also Paul Mc Cartney qnd Brian Jones amonst others got it immediately and spread the word far and wide. Never quite got a handle on Eric's true feelings towards Jimi. It was hard not to like Jimi in person, he was a very friendly and affable guy but I don't think Eric ever got over suddenly being *very * second best.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more! Its a shame because to me you can really hear Jimi burning out, atleast energy wise by the end of '68. The energy he possessed early in his career is just on another level, tho there are glimpses of it all thru his career, '67-'68 his live performances and tone are just on another level..

Really - what about Woodstock? Or the Fillmore concerts that became Band of Gypsys? Or Berkley? I agree that he burned out for a while but he came back much stronger.

Buzzard

Reaction score
Anyone know why he switched to the fender silver face amps? Or was it only a 1 time thing?

Latest posts