• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Soft Rock .......

• Thread starter AlvisX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So ... does anyone actually set out to be a .........soft rocker...?

I do a lotta reflecting at this stage of my life . Lookin on back to over half a lifetime ago ,when I was a kid in my room , I cannot remember not wanting to grow up to be anything less than Jimmy Page . I suppose I did pretty well with it ...

Flippin thru the FM dial this mornin , I landed on "Soft Rock Hits"

It got me thinkin , are there kids out there that aspire to be .......soft rockers ?
When people ask what kind of music do you play ,do they answer ."Im a soft rocker man "....:ugh:

poeman33

Reaction score
I certainly knew alot of people who didn't want to play Zepplin, or Hendrix because it was too "hard". I think most of them ended up playing lounges. Of course they were making more money than me playing the harder stuff at the bars...but still.

I guess its better saying you want to be a "soft rocker man", than just a "soft man" :naughty:

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So ... does anyone actually set out to be a .........soft rocker...?
It got me thinkin , are there kids out there that aspire to be .......soft rockers ?

I don't think so.
(Well, maybe there are some who notice where the money is and go after that.)

But I'm going to say that many soft rockers FELL into it,

In my experience there are people who grew up with mainly folk or jazz, and maybe they were talented at vocal harmonies... from another angle maybe they also love best the popular recordings that have the most clean production... maybe they have a $40,000 stereo at home so they can tell the difference between one studio and another....

...then they start a band....
What will THAT sound like?

An old friend said something to me recently about their band. Something like: "Whatever we do it kind of sounds like folk rock".
Seemed that he wasn't very happy about it, but that's what his line-up was naturally producing and he couldn't see how to change it.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All your soft rock favorites all day n all nite ......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRiaroLhTEo]Firefall - Strange Way - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uNG0IG7fbw]Pablo Cruise - What'cha Gonna Do? - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o]Player - Baby Come Back - YouTube[/ame]

Actually , all well written pop tunes IMO
Still , it's fun / funny to imagine a 17 yr who aspires to be a (soft) rock god .......

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh...left off this one ....kinda creepy by today's perspective though

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aWhn0Hc8ps]Benny Mardones - Into the Night ( Original Video Clip 1980 ) HQ - YouTube[/ame]

damienbeale

Reaction score
And just think what could have been...

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzsvWbgMaUA[/ame]

Man, I don't even wanna think about that one!

BAH! What's going on with the embedding? Tried removing the "s" and that's not working either...

Marshall Art

Reaction score
:Gag:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u3StTsVDD0]Van Halen - "Love Walks In" - Live Without A Net (1986) - YouTube[/ame]

Edit: just delete everything in front of www.

damienbeale

Reaction score
I was worried there wasn't going to be a Beck guitar solo, but I wasn't disappointed.:yesway:

I felt really sorry for him with that one. Apparently he only whipped that off quickly, and had every intention of going back and recording a proper one. But within hours, Mickey Most had it produced, mastered and sent off.

I'd have been mortified if THAT solo had gone out under my name. I don't think I'd have ever recovered.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Not really. Stuff like The Eagles and CSN bore me senseless. I mean there are a lot of great soft rock tunes, but I'd rather listen than play that stuff. I like stuff more along the lines of Boston, Journey, Cheap Trick, Ratt, Zeppelin - stuff with pizzazz and sizzle and showmanship. Stuff that's unique.

However, I did cut my teeth on guitar in the early days by improvising to the local Smooth Jazz radio station. That music could be diverse and the songs were often longer than Pat Benatar's 3-minute Rock radio spank.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Not really. Stuff like The Eagles and CSN bore me senseless. I mean there are a lot of great soft rock tunes, but I'd rather listen than play that stuff. I like stuff more along the lines of Boston, Journey, Cheap Trick, Ratt, Zeppelin - stuff with pizzazz and sizzle and showmanship. Stuff that's unique.

However, I did cut my teeth on guitar in the early days by improvising to the local Smooth Jazz radio station. That music could be diverse and the songs were often longer than Pat Benatar's 3-minute Rock radio spank.

I thought Journey was soft rock? Boston too?
Labels confuse me. Is Neil Young soft rock? Dylan? What's the difference between soft rock, folk rock and Americana? :scratch::lol:

damienbeale

Reaction score
I thought Journey was soft rock? Boston too?
Uh, yeah. For sure.

And I'd take CSN and Eagles over a dozen of these...

But then I definitely don't see CSN fitting into a "soft rock" genre either. They were way more boundary pushing than that (at the time at least), and not particularly rock-y, either.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eagles were super badass...singin / guitar playin (tone)/ writin ....all !

Nah , VH and other "power ballads" dont count .....You know, we all partied hard to Dream On , right ..?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Dude, some soft rock totally rocks …

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsWm0FSZYRo]REO Speedwagon Can't Fight This Feeling Japan TV 1985 - YouTube[/ame]

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
Remember Dr. Hook? produced some classic soft rock but these guys were pure raunch. Even in the 80s it was humorous too see the soft rock pour out of these bikers.