What's your relationship like with your Gibson LP

• Thread starter Gaz Baker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
For the serious business end of selling - a 25 pound postal scale - kg.//lb./oz. Never an issue.
(My lightest LP is 8lbs/6oz. I would never accept an LP Standard less than eight pounds. BTW. No pickups will help rectify too light a body.. Although I feel that Billy Gibbons is the only one proving this wrong lol)
I don't think weight has anything to do with it. My SG Junior sounds incredible - and it practically floats at 5ish pounds, whereas my Standard is unusually heavy and sounds great too, just different. And one of my two teles is quite light and is a monster. I spent the late 70' and all of the 80's thinking heavier guitars sounded better but it just isn't the case. There's no key formula between weight and tone. My '71 LP Deluxe sounds great but not really better than the others, and I'm betting, once I weigh it, it'll clock in about 12 to 13 pounds.

Gaz Baker

Reaction score
I think Riff Raffs could do metal. Nailbombs definitely can. I also have BK Abraxas in a Carvin that's pretty hot, though not as hot as the Nailbombs. I also have Black Dogs in my PRS, which are a little hotter than the Riff Raffs. Can you tell I'm a big Bare Knuckle fan?

I think I'll go a set of mules in my LP.
Not metal oriented, but will cover a lot of ground.

It's my Ibanez RG I'll kit out for metal, but I'm not sure of which set. The Aftermath set are harshly trebley.
And I'm not interested in a metal specific set.

So at the moment I'm looking at Juggernaut's, Silo's, or Holy diver's.

I play from clean to modern metal, but mainly hard rock, punk and 80s metal styles

Last edited:

giblesp

Reaction score
MY LP Studio is one of the best LP's I've played. I went into a shop with a Traditional in mind, but decided on the Studio. Just played better for me.

The issue I have is with the nitro finish; though yellowing was to be expected I literally have a dark stain where my arm rests. Pretty sure the older, vintage nitro Gibsons weren't as fragile. That could be due to lower VOC's in the finish, or the thinner application of nitro.

Other issues, one of the trapezoids has come loose after 4 years of home use. A common Gibson problem.

If I had the choice, I'd have chosen the 'Swiss Cheese,' weight relief. I can appreciate the resonance of the modern weight relief, but the treble position does get a little thin compared to LP's with less weight relief. Not a deal breaker though, and though its a little weird to have an LP lighter than my strats its become part of the individual character of the guitar, which I wouldn't change.

Sapient

 
Reaction score

Done:

vgXEDXn.png

That was fun.

:)

Old Punker

Reaction score
I don't think weight has anything to do with it. My SG Junior sounds incredible - and it practically floats at 5ish pounds, whereas my Standard is unusually heavy and sounds great too, just different. And one of my two teles is quite light and is a monster. I spent the late 70' and all of the 80's thinking heavier guitars sounded better but it just isn't the case. There's no key formula between weight and tone. My '71 LP Deluxe sounds great but not really better than the others, and I'm betting, once I weigh it, it'll clock in about 12 to 13 pounds.

Yeah my SG is only 6.5 lbs. but can rip my head off through any decent amp!

Old Punker

Reaction score
MY LP Studio is one of the best LP's I've played. I went into a shop with a Traditional in mind, but decided on the Studio. Just played better for me.

The issue I have is with the nitro finish; though yellowing was to be expected I literally have a dark stain where my arm rests. Pretty sure the older, vintage nitro Gibsons weren't as fragile. That could be due to lower VOC's in the finish, or the thinner application of nitro.

Other issues, one of the trapezoids has come loose after 4 years of home use. A common Gibson problem.

If I had the choice, I'd have chosen the 'Swiss Cheese,' weight relief. I can appreciate the resonance of the modern weight relief, but the treble position does get a little thin compared to LP's with less weight relief. Not a deal breaker though, and though its a little weird to have an LP lighter than my strats its become part of the individual character of the guitar, which I wouldn't change.

@giblesp - I sometimes get cloudy areas on my LP Studio too, both where my arm sits and around the volume/tone knobs. IME the best way to keep this from getting out of hand is to use a good polish like Gibson pump polish and wipe down your guitar after every use. If you already have a discoloration then you may need another product to help reduce/eliminate it. Years ago a guitar tech sold me some GHS Guitar Gloss and told me to use it only on the afflicted areas and it did a great job on my Studio. I had to apply several light coats, let them dry, and buff them off. After a while I could really see the improvement. Now I only need to use it occasionally. I've also heard that another product called Virtuoso Polish/Cleaner works very well too. Your degree of success may depend on how bad it is?

Which bridge pickup do you have in your Studio? I've got the 498T in mine, which is also weight relieved, and I haven't really noticed any problem with 'thinness'.

Do you know how much yours weighs? My Studio tips the scale at 8.2 lbs.

:cheers:

Last edited:

Thevenin

Reaction score
After 50 years on this earth, I have yet to play a LP. I own 3 SGs and a Firebird so I imagine a LP is somewhere in that mix. Cancelled my Epi 1959 order and still looking around on CL for a Gibson that is priced right. Kind of tough right now.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I think Gibson's Les Paul, along with a Strat, is my most traded and sold guitar I've ever owned.

It's not that I think a Les Paul is bad................it's just, IMO, one of the most coveted guitars I'll ever part with and my most, "I really want".

I never part with a guitar if it's bad.................except my, long gone, Aria ZZ or early 60's Epiphone Coronet (they were god awful).

Deftone

Reaction score
I used to think they were lame. I liked my Charvel, Jacksons etc.... Then I bought an Explorer and was pretty amazed by the tone. So my neighbor says: "If you like that, try my Les Paul." And he loaned me his '84 Standard with EMG's. Absolutely floored me. I gave him back his LP and I told him I had ordered one. A 2000 LP Standard Raw Power. Should have kept that one.
RP.jpg
IIRC there were four more since then: a Studio, Studio Lite w/floyd and two Custom Lites. I own three LP's now:
1979 LP Custom
1989 LP Custom Lite w/Floyd (Only '89 & I've seen less than 10 of these)
2014 Standard Light Flame 120

I became pretty obsessed with '87-'89 LP Custom Lites.

LP's are #1 for me. Nothing sounds as good to my ears.

Old Punker

Reaction score
Digging the line up! What is the blue one?

I love the feel of my new one, so much so that I let go of my SG for a Mesa.
DY1cKh9.jpg

I see the Mesa Single Rec head in your sig, I recently picked one up too. Love the Vintage mode. Killer with a Les Paul and an OD808 boost.

I kept my SG though.

RobV

Reaction score
I see the Mesa Single Rec head in your sig, I recently picked one up too. Love the Vintage mode. Killer with a Les Paul and an OD808 boost.

I kept my SG though.

My plan is to get a P-90 SG next, both my other guitars a double HB's. I haven't really played my Mesa yet at home, tried it out at my instructors studio but have been sick as a dog since I got it, finally feeling better so hopefully I will be back to normal in a day or 2 :)

Old Punker

Reaction score
My plan is to get a P-90 SG next, both my other guitars a double HB's. I haven't really played my Mesa yet at home, tried it out at my instructors studio but have been sick as a dog since I got it, finally feeling better so hopefully I will be back to normal in a day or 2 :)

Hope you feel better real soon. Maybe looking forward to playing the Recto will help you recover faster.

Because of the extra volume control (Output) I find these are good for getting nice saturated tones at lower (home) volumes. I hooked up my P90 guitar (Mosrite copy) to it when I first brought it home and it sounded great. The Mesa made it sound 'bigger' than it does on my other amps. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the parallel FX loop, but I'm slowly learning how to deal with it.

Latest posts