What's your relationship like with your Gibson LP

• Thread starter Gaz Baker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

junk notes

Reaction score
1961_les_paul_custom_case_vertical-1000-jpg.
Since my LP is stupid heavy, which does affect my relationship with my Les Paul, I thought I'd ask you guys; What's a good cheap scale to buy for weighing guitars? I can't seem to find the right thing on all of eBay.....go figure.
For the serious business end of selling - a 25 pound postal scale - kg.//lb./oz. Never an issue.
(My lightest LP is 8lbs/6oz. I would never accept an LP Standard less than eight pounds. BTW. No pickups will help rectify too light a body.. Although I feel that Billy Gibbons is the only one proving this wrong lol)

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my Les Pauls @Gaz Baker, the Les Paul, to me, is the epitome of a Rock & Roll guitar.

I bought my first LP in 1971, I was 15 years old, yeah I’m old, lol! It was a brand new 1971 Les Paul Deluxe in Sunburst, (more like Clownburst), I loved that guitar but I stupidly sold it 3 years later. This is the only pic, or a piece of a pic, that I have of it.

My next LP was a Custom that I bought new in 1982, I had wanted a Gibson Les Paul Custom for the longest time. So early in that year I started looking for my future Custom, keep in mind in those days there was no internet, no Guitar Center or Musicians Friend.

No big guitar stores back then either, mostly mom and pop shops except in large cities, which had places like Sam Ash and Manny’s. I searched every guitar store, (including a Sam Ash in White Plains in NY), within about a 100 mile radius of my home, I couldn’t find what I wanted.

What I wanted was a Wine Red Custom LP, that plays good. There were no WR Custom LPs anywhere, none,...only Black and White, and they were few and far between.

I finally ended up at Rainbow Music in New Paltz NY. They didn’t have any either, but the salesman said they could order it for me, it would take about 4 or 5 weeks. I had no idea I could do that!

Back in those day you could order a stock USA Gibson, so I ordered it! About 4 weeks later I got a call from Rainbow Music telling me it was ready to be picked up! So I jumped in my car and took off on my hour drive to pick it up!

I remember the excited anticipation I felt for that whole one hour drive, it was incredible!

I opened the giant hard plastic Protector case Gibson was using ATT, better known as the ‘chainsaw’ case,....and I almost passed out from the strong smell of the nitro lacquer.

The guitar turned out to be a great playing, and great sounding Les Paul and I was happy! The whole 4 weeks I was worrying so much that I’ll get a dog, that I almost canceled it. I’m so glad I didn’t,... and the best part, I still have that Les Paul today,... :agreed:

Lastly is my 2006 Studio Premium Plus in Natural. This model LPs were only made for 3 years, 2006- 2008 I believe.

It was my 50 birthday and me and my lovely wife took a weekend and traveled around the Florida guitar shops looking for a Les Paul. I found this one in a GC in Tampa.

I picked it up and I knew immediately it was for me, even though it wasn’t the model I wanted, and I didn’t like the looks of it at all.

I’m not a huge fan of gold hardware and the gold hardware on this particular finish LP was just soooo in your face blingy looking. But I bought it anyway because it played and sounded so good.

After a couple of years of the gold I needed to change the appearance of this LP. So I changed out the gold for nickel and put a set of double cream Dimarzios in,...

Stock,...

Now,...

Side note; this LP came with a flame mahogany neck and headstock,...

Sorry about the long post and the giant pics! :D

Last edited:

Sparky2

Reaction score
As some have mentioned before, it is rare that any two LP guitars sound or play the same. The same goes for Strats. Over the years there have been so many changes and variations in pickup design, and type of woods used. Even guitars of the same design and serial number range can have different neck shapes, pickups, and finishes. Leo Fender used to take off-the-cuff change suggestions from his employees while walking through the Fullerton, CA plant and tell them to go ahead and try it. Gibson did similarly. So, there are hundreds of variations. If you pick up any LP-type guitar, with a fairly dense wood, Humbuckers, and glued-on neck, you should be able to recognize the basic LP sound, but with great variation between different specimens. You can change pickups and tone capacitors to tweak the sound. The most notably unique sound is from the Deluxe models, which used the narrow EPI humbuckers with fewer windings, so less inductance, and more Treble. Barry Bailey of the Atlanta Rhythm Section plays two '69 Deluxes and has a very clear, clean sound, except when really playing hard and over-driving his amp, like on Spooky. I have a 1980 Gibson Black LP dot-neck with white front binding with special Tim Shaw pickups, which sound most like late 1950's PAF's. It has a wonderfully thin neck at the nut and an even taper all the way up to the heel, and heavy wood, so very little loss of sound energy to body vibrations. Everyone who plays it loves it. I also have a very cheap low-end Epiphone LP Special with lightweight wood, a screwed on neck, and what I think are standard EPI humbuckers. It sound sort of like an LP, with a thinner sound, and seems to distort early on playing hard. Great practice guitar. My real Gibson LP blows it away when played side-by-side. So, you can get LP's with many different sounds, hand-feel, weight, finish, binding, etc. I would like to have other LP's with beautiful finishes, gold tops, tobacco sunburst, cherry sunburst, tiger-stripes, etc., but I cannot justify or afford them as a retired casual gigger. I play everything from country to fusion rock to jazz. My Strat is a 1985 special model Contemporary Strat, only made in 1984-1987, Shalar fine-tuner vibrato with nut string lock, beautiful deep clear coat metallic red finish, heavy chrome plate, heavy wood. The Strat and the LP are my two main guitars, and I consider them top-of-line for playability and sound. Enjoy trying different guitars and picking the ones you want!

View attachment 87987

I'm curious about other owners experiences with their Gibson LP's.

I've only ever owned one LP, purely because of their price here, and it's gone up $1500NZD since I brought it. The one I own, a 2018 traditional, I chose after doing a lot of homework, and it seemed like the most similar at the time of it's manufacture to the specs I wanted body wise. No weight relief or chambering.
During my hours of trawling the internet for info, I read that Gibson apparently changed the specs in 2009 so the Standard has more modern features, and the Traditional took up the build specs, body wise at least, where the Standard left off.

I have to say, that it hasn't been love at first jam for me.
I've had a love/hate relationship with it.
One day I'd pick it up and love it, the next I would consider selling it because I felt I couldn't gel with it.

But after a year or more now, I feel that I'm getting along great, and understand it better, and how it is set up to play.
It's definitely a soft touch feeling guitar, and it's taught me to adjust the way I was playing.
Possibly a combination of the guitar breaking in?
Definitely a bit of me understanding it better.

The tuning is really stable, which was an off putting factor in some of the reading I encountered, but now I feel that can be partly due to playing a soft touch guitar ham fisted, as with 010's on it, it's light enough to bend whole chords!
If it starts to need any sort of regular tuning, I Graphite the nut and change the strings. Problem solved

Complaints?
Well, I'm not a fan Burstbucker pro's.
They're ok, but don't cut it for heavier music. They can make your playing sound muddy/flubby even if you're tight, but dialing back the vol pot a little helps a lot.

But the saddles, for a high end price axe, are a cheap looking crap design, and will probably get an upgrade when I finally decide on what pup's to transplant into it.

This LP is ''out of the box'' and never had a set up, so that's pretty amazing that it feels like it does, and as soon as you plug it in, it has an instantly recognizable sound that any number of rock bands has exhibited in the past.

I'm liking it a lot now, but was wondering how others have liked/disliked theirs, and would like to hear a comparison of those who have owned a Traditional, or a Standard, and a customshop.

Cheers :cheers:
View attachment 87987

I'm curious about other owners experiences with their Gibson LP's.

I've only ever owned one LP, purely because of their price here, and it's gone up $1500NZD since I brought it. The one I own, a 2018 traditional, I chose after doing a lot of homework, and it seemed like the most similar at the time of it's manufacture to the specs I wanted body wise. No weight relief or chambering.
During my hours of trawling the internet for info, I read that Gibson apparently changed the specs in 2009 so the Standard has more modern features, and the Traditional took up the build specs, body wise at least, where the Standard left off.

I have to say, that it hasn't been love at first jam for me.
I've had a love/hate relationship with it.
One day I'd pick it up and love it, the next I would consider selling it because I felt I couldn't gel with it.

But after a year or more now, I feel that I'm getting along great, and understand it better, and how it is set up to play.
It's definitely a soft touch feeling guitar, and it's taught me to adjust the way I was playing.
Possibly a combination of the guitar breaking in?
Definitely a bit of me understanding it better.

The tuning is really stable, which was an off putting factor in some of the reading I encountered, but now I feel that can be partly due to playing a soft touch guitar ham fisted, as with 010's on it, it's light enough to bend whole chords!
If it starts to need any sort of regular tuning, I Graphite the nut and change the strings. Problem solved

Complaints?
Well, I'm not a fan Burstbucker pro's.
They're ok, but don't cut it for heavier music. They can make your playing sound muddy/flubby even if you're tight, but dialing back the vol pot a little helps a lot.

But the saddles, for a high end price axe, are a cheap looking crap design, and will probably get an upgrade when I finally decide on what pup's to transplant into it.

This LP is ''out of the box'' and never had a set up, so that's pretty amazing that it feels like it does, and as soon as you plug it in, it has an instantly recognizable sound that any number of rock bands has exhibited in the past.

I'm liking it a lot now, but was wondering how others have liked/disliked theirs, and would like to hear a comparison of those who have owned a Traditional, or a Standard, and a customshop.

Cheers :cheers:

Old Punker

Reaction score
I love my Les Pauls @Gaz Baker, the Les Paul, to me, is the epitome of a Rock & Roll guitar.

I bought my first LP in 1971, I was 15 years old, yeah I’m old, lol! It was a brand new 1971 Les Paul Deluxe in Sunburst, (more like Clownburst), I loved that guitar but I stupidly sold it 3 years later. This is the only pic, or a piece of a pic, they I have of it.

My next LP was a Custom, I had wanted a Gibson Les Paul Custom for the longest time. In 1982 I started looking for my future Custom, and in those days there was no internet, no Guitar Center or Musicians Friend.

No big guitar stores, mostly mom and pop places except large cities. I searched every guitar store within about a 100 mile radius of my home, I couldn’t find what I wanted.

What I wanted was a Wine Red Custom LP, that plays good. There were no WR Custom LPs anywhere, none,...only Black and White, and they were few and far between.

I finally ended up at Rainbow Music in New Paltz NY. They didn’t have any either, but the salesman said they could order it for me, it would take about 4 or 5 weeks. I had no idea I could do that!

Back in those day you could order a stock USA Gibson, so I did. About 4 weeks later it was ready and I picked it up!

I opened the giant hard plastic Protector case Gibson was using ATT, better known as the ‘chainsaw’ case,....and I almost passed out from the strong smell of the nitro lacquer.

The guitar turned out to be a great playing, and sounding Les Paul and I was happy! The whole 4 weeks I was worrying so much that I’ll get a dog, that I almost canceled it. I’m glad I didn’t, I still have that Les Paul today,...

Lastly is my 2006 Studio Premium Plus in Natural. This model LPs were only made for 3 years, 2006- 2008 I believe.

It was my 50 birthday and me and my lovely wife took a weekend and traveled around the Florida guitar shops looking for a Les Paul. I found this one in a GC in Tampa.

I picked it up and I knew immediately it was for me, even though it wasn’t the model I wanted, and I didn’t like the looks of it at all.

I’m not a huge fan of gold hardware and the gold hardware on this particular finish LP was just soooo in your face blingy looking. But I bought it anyway because it played and sounded so good.

After a couple of years of the gold I needed to change the appearance of this LP. So I changed out the gold for nickel and put a set of double cream Dimarzios in,...

Stock,...

Now,...

@scozz - Yes the gold hw on the Studio was too much, much improved after you changed it.

Absolutely love that Custom! I bet it's a tone monster. :flex:

Gaz Baker

Reaction score

I bought my first LP in 1971, I was 15 years old, yeah I’m old, lol! It was a brand new 1971 Les Paul Deluxe in Sunburst, (more like Clownburst), I loved that guitar but I stupidly sold it 3 years later. This is the only pic, or a piece of a pic, they I have of it.

My next LP was a Custom, I had wanted a Gibson Les Paul Custom for the longest time. In 1982 I started looking for my future Custom, and in those days there was no internet, no Guitar Center or Musicians Friend.

No big guitar stores, mostly mom and pop places except large cities. I searched every guitar store within about a 100 mile radius of my home, I couldn’t find what I wanted.

Back in those day you could order a stock USA Gibson, so I did. About 4 weeks later it was ready and I picked it up!

The guitar turned out to be a great playing, and sounding Les Paul and I was happy! The whole 4 weeks I was worrying so much that I’ll get a dog, that I almost canceled it. I’m glad I didn’t, I still have that Les Paul today,...

Stock,...

Now,...

Geez mate, that wine red LP is a real peach.
There's something about some of those older LPs that really spins my wheels.
And to be honest, I'm not a big fan of the "Teardrop" burst shape.
Personally, perimeter burst or a solid color holds more appeal for me.

Sparky2

Reaction score
You have a nice looking Cherry Sunburst LP style guitar. I can't make out the brand name. I, too, have had both of my COVID-19 Moderna shots and feel great at age 68. Everyone should go and get vaccinated. It is the only defense against the Chinese Wuhan virus. They either planned this, or took the opportunity to sic it on us and the rest of the world.

NoelH

Reaction score
Don't have a Gibson. BUT! Just bought an Aria Mach 1 (Custom) from the mid-late '70's. But here's the interesting part. It's a SET-NECK, not a bolt-on. Only one I've ever seen. Cherry sunburst and plays amazing!
I think they must be pretty rare. But the build quality sealed it for me. The used store I bought it at had an Orville, the Aria and 2 Gibsons. The Aria SMOKED them both. True story.

Delete!!

Reaction score
I have 3 Les Pauls, and just put a 4th on layaway a couple of days ago. I have owned many over the years, as well as other guitars (mostly Strats). As far as a “relationship” goes, I do think I play my best when I use a Les Paul. I tend to play more aggressively, with more energy. I also have 2 Strats, but tend to be more subdued and laid back when I use them. The Les Paul just brings out something in me that I think enhances my playing.

Old Punker

Reaction score
I have 3 Les Pauls, and just put a 4th on layaway a couple of days ago. I have owned many over the years, as well as other guitars (mostly Strats). As far as a “relationship” goes, I do think I play my best when I use a Les Paul. I tend to play more aggressively, with more energy. I also have 2 Strats, but tend to be more subdued and laid back when I use them. The Les Paul just brings out something in me that I think enhances my playing.

"The Les Paul just brings out something in me that I think enhances my playing."

Yeah, it's called Rock and Roll! :shred:

JP2036

Reaction score
You have a nice looking Cherry Sunburst LP style guitar. I can't make out the brand name. I, too, have had both of my COVID-19 Moderna shots and feel great at age 68. Everyone should go and get vaccinated. It is the only defense against the Chinese Wuhan virus. They either planned this, or took the opportunity to sic it on us and the rest of the world.

1985 Tokai LPC.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts