What's your relationship like with your Gibson LP

• Thread starter Gaz Baker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
That is amazing.

i cant even look at the pic again w/o puking. it makes me sick.
thats the one les paul thats right up my alley. theres just no reason for it.
beautiful in every way imo.

shit, ok let me go get the bathroom trash can. i gotta go look at this pic
again. looking again is just self abuse.

jazzdj

Reaction score
"What's your relationship like with your Gibson LP"
You mean the "boat anchor '81 Standard"? It's breaking my old back ......

.... which is why I'd rather play my 6lb 7oz '83 Alder Stratocaster Elite with factory Fralin stacked noise-cancelling single-poles, active electronics and FreeFlyte Trem / locking keys. Can sound like a LP, a Tele or a Strat. If I NEED to play a Les Paul, it's my much lighter '73 Special or my '58 LP Jr.

Or .... maybe my '61 Les Paul Custom SG, lite and an true LP sound.

1983 Fender Strat Elite.jpg
1973 '58 Les Paul Special mint.jpg

"Back Breaker" '81 LP Std on the left, 58 Jr on the right
1981 Les Paul Std Black 1958 Les Paul Jr sales demo.jpg

1961_Les_Paul_Custom_case_vertical 1000.jpg

Lowlife

Reaction score
I've had 3, my first, a Standard Faded. Pure awesomeness, quite literally the only one of my possessions i REALLY care about. I have replaced all the electronics and pickups, and it is just so awesome.

The other are a Guitar of the week. classic. Zebrawood LP, the most beautiful guitar ever made in my opinion, but ridiculously heavy, but since it came into my fold after my faded, it really doesn't get much use.

Finally I had a 70'ies tribute, that I sold again (after putting one of the Dirty Fingers pickups on my Standard Faded).

bscenefilms

Reaction score
i cant even look at the pic again w/o puking. it makes me sick.
thats the one les paul thats right up my alley. theres just no reason for it.
beautiful in every way imo.

shit, ok let me go get the bathroom trash can. i gotta go look at this pic
again. looking again is just self abuse.

LOL why does it make you puke?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
LOL why does it make you puke?

because, thats the be all end all finish for me as far as regular finishes go.
i have a thing for guitars that look likr the were made from like school desk wood
or something lol. crazy i know.
not all natural wood finishes past the test for me. that fucking thing just raised the bar bro.
plus i love the neck board wood choice. tired of rosewood. ebony is ok when you can find it.
i would name it..........

ROFLMAO

bscenefilms

Reaction score
because, thats the be all end all finish for me as far as regular finishes go.
i have a thing for guitars that look likr the were made from like school desk wood
or something lol. crazy i know.
not all natural wood finishes past the test for me. that fucking thing just raised the bar bro.
plus i love the neck board wood choice. tired of rosewood. ebony is ok when you can find it.
i would name it..........

ROFLMAO

LOL George eh? That is a 77 LPC. Gibson made very few of them as they were very unpopular and did not sell. I have a weakness for maple fretboards so for me it was really the perfect Les Paul. I just wish the neck scale was a bit longer to fit my stupidly large and slow hands heh.

Old Punker

Reaction score
My first guitar was a 1977 Ibanez Les Paul Custom copy, then I bought a 1979 Antigua Stratocaster when I got my first job. Nice Strat but I must say I prefered the Humbucker sound of the Ibanez.
Soon after, during a trip in London I bought an old 1963 Fender Musicmaster body with a completely cracked & chipped paint job and reassembled it with a Stratocaster neck and a Gibson PAT 2.737.842 on the neck side and a Di Marzio Super Distortion DP 100 on the bridge side.
This "monster" guitar became my #1 and remained so for 25 years. Unique, solid as a rock that has rolled down a river for millennia, powerful as Thor's hammer, I had no fear of it being stolen or damaged from playing it in the most "dangerous" bars, festivals and concert halls.
After my successive bands died out (Rock' N' Roll, Garage Rock, Garage Psych) I had to calm down due to a bad prostate cancer. Not knowing if I had long to live and having received a part of my inheritance following the death of my father, I decided to spend the money in the guitars of my teenage dreams, mainly Gibsons.
And there the Pandora's box opened: enter 3 SGs, a Firebird V, a Les Paul DC Faded, a Les Paul 60's Tribute T, a Les Paul Classic and top of the crop 5 Les Paul Standard Faded, three 2005 and two 2008.
These Fadeds are what I had always hoped for without knowing it. You will ask me why 5 Faded LP's, it's simple they are different, 50's or 60's necks, chambered or unchambered and I equipped each one with different pickups except my first one which is stock and has the original Burstbucker Pro's.
All 5 have a gorgeous feel, tone and resonance that I haven't found in other Gibson Les Paul models, many say it's due to their thin satin finish and I tend to believe it too.
I LOVE my Fadeds on any of my amps and obviously, played on my 1972 JMP1992 Super Bass they shine heavenly!!!
Here's one from the harem.

2020-0501-182133-AA.jpg

@JMP1992SB1972 - Beauty Les Paul, love the red Marshall too!

With all those LP's it looks like you have all of the various weight relief types covered, so I have to ask...Is there any really noticeable difference (good or bad) in tone amongst the various weight relief methods (9 hole, chambered, etc.), or between any of the weight relieved ones as compared to a 'solid' (non-relieved) LP? I'm mainly interested in differences that are not due to having different pickups or necks.
Also, do you think the solid bodies have better 'chug' when palm muting, or is that an urban legend?

The reason I ask is because I am looking into getting a second Les Paul sometime, and leaving it set up with heavier strings and drop tuning, and I am wondering if it would be worth spending the extra $$ for a solid body, or just going for the best price instead. My current LP is weight relieved. Thanks!

Glad to see you beat the cancer! :D

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

With all those LP's it looks like you have all of the various weight relief types covered, so I have to ask...Is there any really noticeable difference (good or bad) in tone amongst the various weight relief methods (9 hole, chambered, etc.), or between any of the weight relieved ones as compared to a 'solid' (non-relieved) LP? I'm mainly interested in differences that are not due to having different pickups or necks.
Also, do you think the solid bodies have better 'chug' when palm muting, or is that an urban legend?

The reason I ask is because I am looking into getting a second Les Paul sometime, and leaving it set up with heavier strings and drop tuning, and I am wondering if it would be worth spending the extra $$ for a solid body, or just going for the best price instead. My current LP is weight relieved. Thanks!

I dont think there is any diff tonally between the solid and the weight relieved electrically. The pickup has way more to do with it. My 76 is a solid body with a non potted PUp, quite bright and not overly hot.
Way better chugging from say the Custom Shop modern with thin body and sculpted neck joint and 490 bridge Pickup.
My other weight relieved LPs sound chunkier and thicker than the 76. In fact, I am changjng out the bridge to a 57+.

Old Punker

Reaction score
I dont think there is any diff tonally between the solid and the weight relieved electrically. The pickup has way more to do with it. My 76 is a solid body with a non potted PUp, quite bright and not overly hot.
Way better chugging from say the Custom Shop modern with thin body and sculpted neck joint and 490 bridge Pickup.
My other weight relieved LPs sound chunkier and thicker than the 76. In fact, I am changjng out the bridge to a 57+.

OK good to know, so maybe I can save some money and just get another (probably older) LP with a 490 or 498.
Is your Custom Shop Modern 9 hole weight relief?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
OK good to know, so maybe I can save some money and just get another (probably older) LP with a 490 or 498.
Is your Custom Shop Modern 9 hole weight relief?
It has 9 hole weight relief AND thinner. Hot pickups and go, I say. My other Lps are weight relieved too and are nice amd thick amd chunky sounding.

Old Punker

Reaction score
It has 9 hole weight relief AND thinner. Hot pickups and go, I say. My other Lps are weight relieved too and are nice amd thick amd chunky sounding.

Good stuff. Do you happen to know if the Burstbucker Pros are hotter than the 57 Classics? I keep seeing a lot of LP's showing up with them.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Good stuff. Do you happen to know if the Burstbucker Pros are hotter than the 57 Classics? I keep seeing a lot of LP's showing up with them.

I did a record test with many of my guitars for raunch and output. The Classic with the 57+ and the Explorer with same really did cook well. The 498 is hotter granted. As I recall, the low end seemed better on the 57+. As I recall.

b455103c6ce5572d6bcfbb8ab6e68e6b.jpg

jmp45

Reaction score
"What's your relationship like with your Gibson LP"
You mean the "boat anchor '81 Standard"? It's breaking my old back ......

.... which is why I'd rather play my 6lb 7oz '83 Alder Stratocaster Elite with factory Fralin stacked noise-cancelling single-poles, active electronics and FreeFlyte Trem / locking keys. Can sound like a LP, a Tele or a Strat. If I NEED to play a Les Paul, it's my much lighter '73 Special or my '58 LP Jr.

Or .... maybe my '61 Les Paul Custom SG, lite and an true LP sound.

View attachment 88203
View attachment 88204

"Back Breaker" '81 LP Std on the left, 58 Jr on the right
View attachment 88205

View attachment 88206

Very cool.. that 58 Jr, is very much like my long gone 58 TV. Same finish too. That TV and a 1959 stack was a perfect match.

Old Punker

Reaction score
I did a record test with many of my guitars for raunch and output. The Classic with the 57+ and the Explorer with same really did cook well. The 498 is hotter granted. As I recall, the low end seemed better on the 57+. As I recall.

b455103c6ce5572d6bcfbb8ab6e68e6b.jpg

Thanks man, that's a handy chart. I'm looking forward to trying out some of the SOAD tunes I'm learning on my 2013 SG Standard with the 57 Classics. My Studio with the 498T handled it really well, but I do recall some added clarity on the 57's from the last time I played my SG. Not sure if the added bottom end will be evident on the lighter SG though.

Looks like the 500T is super hot. I saw a 'Hot Rod' Les Paul with 500T for sale a while ago on Kijiji but I figured that might be overkill. I have heard they work well in the Explorers though.

:cheers:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Thanks man, that's a handy chart. I'm looking forward to trying out some of the SOAD tunes I'm learning on my 2013 SG Standard with the 57 Classics. My Studio with the 498T handled it really well, but I do recall some added clarity on the 57's from the last time I played my SG. Not sure if the added bottom end will be evident on the lighter SG though.

Looks like the 500T is super hot. I saw a 'Hot Rod' Les Paul with 500T for sale a while ago on Kijiji but I figured that might be overkill. I have heard they work well in the Explorers though.

:cheers:
I should try a 500T in.... something....

mirrorman

Reaction score
I'm surprised that the 57+ is showing hotter than a BB Pro. IME, the BB Pro would go into distortion sooner than the 57+. Maybe it's the Alnico V vs Alnico II magnet, or maybe I just got a BB Pro that was overwound. Whatever the case, the 57+ is a much superior pickup, IMO.

JMP1992SB1972

Reaction score

The only really noticeable difference between chambered and 9 holes or 'solid' is when playing unplugged. The chambered ones are louder, which is logical.
No difference or minimal when amplified, but when playing really loud the chambered ones may feedback a little earlier. Anyhow I rarely play loud enough to notice it.
Concerning the solid bodies better 'chug' when palm muting, IMHO no. I rather think that the pickups make the difference. I definitely get a better 'chug' with a hot PU like a Di Marzio Super Distortion DP 100 than with a PAF type PU.
Thanks for your kind words concerning my fight against cancer.
Namaste :thumb:

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Since my LP is stupid heavy, which does affect my relationship with my Les Paul, I thought I'd ask you guys; What's a good cheap scale to buy for weighing guitars? I can't seem to find the right thing on all of eBay.....go figure.

Latest posts