Solar Eclipse in your area (Monday, April 8, 2024)

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cccc

Reaction score
I personally could care less about the moon covering up the sun but some people find it fascinating, to each their own as they say . Now don't get me started on the whole gender BS LOL.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
I got to experience the eclipse in totality. I only have one word to describe it:
AWESOME!
It's one of those things that you can see pics and vids of it that do not do it justice. Experiencing it in person is just ....yeah, AWESOME!

BlueX

Reaction score
OK lets get real.

The last two full eclipses put a big X across America.

Was this
1 God saying the days of the US empire are numbered.
2 An Omen of WW3.
3 A warning to repent before society collapses.
It's just an ad for a social media app (that changed name recently).

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
... Get pregnant or father a child. I'll wait.

That's not possible even with the most advanced forms of surgical reassignment. Which is best described as NEUTERING, since it removes existing reprodutive functionality and replaces it with....NOTHING.

... That kind of INSANITY is a new thing.
So if a woman can get pregnanat she's not a woman? If a man is infertile he's not a man?
I'm not sure what being able to have a child has to do with it.

IMO, it's more insane to think human sexuality will ever fall neatly into everyone is a monogamous heterosexual.
It's never been that cut and dry and it never will be.
Again though, I favor individual rights- if someone wants a sex change I see that as a personal matter.

another example- the kathoey of Thailand- they have been around for at least 700 years. Who really cares?
220px-Nongthoomfairtex.jpg

I got to experience the eclipse in totality. I only have one word to describe it:
AWESOME!
It's one of those things that you can see pics and vids of it that do not do it justice. Experiencing it in person is just ....yeah, AWESOME!
I would have to believe the full eclipse is much more interesting than a partial. I would like to see the shadow bands I read about- I never heard about those prior to this one.

RLW59

Reaction score
I would have to believe the full eclipse is much more interesting than a partial. I would like to see the shadow bands I read about- I never heard about those prior to this one.
I saw shadow bands on Virginia Beach during the 1970 "eclipse of the century". On wide expanses of smooth white sand they were mind blowing.

This time I was at my daughter's house northeast of Dallas and we saw them on the concrete drive and out on the concrete street. They're subtle and harder to see on uneven surfaces and pretty unnoticeable on grass or vegetation.

'70 was perfect viewing with clear skies. '24 the day started out completely overcast, but broke up into patchy clouds around noon and stayed that way for the rest of the day. It was nerve-wracking -- there's the Sun, oh now it's gone, yay it's back, boo it's gone again. Some high thin clouds partially obscured the beginning of totality but cleared up partway through During the partial phases there were yimes that there a perfect layer of clouds to allow direct viewing of the crescent Sun. Saw a bright red prominence on the southeast limb of the Moon that lasted for a minute or so, then a glorious diamond ring at the end of totality. We could only see Venus -- the other 3 planets were lost in the clouds.

Partials are just a mild curiosity. If you don't actively look at the Sun (with glasses) or actively look for trees doing the pinhole lens thing with hundreds of crescents dancing on the ground, you could easily not even notice there was a partial happening. A little nifty but not awe inspiring.