Some 80s JCM800s and JMPs With a Bogner Twist

Eddylenz

Reaction score
I recently got extremely lucky and bought a 1982 Marshall 2204 that was modded by Reinhold Bogner back in the 80s. It was one of the first, if not the first, Marshall he ever modded.
Unfortunately, you could hear that, because it just didn't sound as good as his slightly later work.
I then got to compare the amp I bought to two other Bogner modded Marshalls, that the seller owns. After a few hours of playing, I had a clear favorite.
The amazing thing is, that he lend me the amp to study the circuit, which I did.
As soon as I was done with that, I tried to buy that amp from him as well, but he wouldn't let it go, so I decided to put this late 80s Bogner circuit into the one I just bought.

Fast forward a few days... Now I have the best Bogner mod that I've ever come across and couldn't be happier.

Here's my Bogner before I rebuilt it

Here's the Bogner that won the comparison

and here's my 2203 that I recently modded with yet another Bogner mod

I have some more videos in the making, where you can hear my rebuilt Bogner Marshall and the original Bogner JMP cranked in a studio.

What do you guys think of these amps and have you ever played a Bogner modded Marshall?

Cheers, Eddy

Attachments

• 1982-bogner-amp.jpg
    1982-bogner-amp.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 6

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently got extremely lucky and bought a 1982 Marshall 2204 that was modded by Reinhold Bogner back in the 80s. It was one of the first, if not the first, Marshall he ever modded.
Unfortunately, you could hear that, because it just didn't sound as good as his slightly later work.
I then got to compare the amp I bought to two other Bogner modded Marshalls, that the seller owns. After a few hours of playing, I had a clear favorite.
The amazing thing is, that he lend me the amp to study the circuit, which I did.
As soon as I was done with that, I tried to buy that amp from him as well, but he wouldn't let it go, so I decided to put this late 80s Bogner circuit into the one I just bought.

Fast forward a few days... Now I have the best Bogner mod that I've ever come across and couldn't be happier.

Here's my Bogner before I rebuilt it

Here's the Bogner that won the comparison

and here's my 2203 that I recently modded with yet another Bogner mod

I have some more videos in the making, where you can hear my rebuilt Bogner Marshall and the original Bogner JMP cranked in a studio.

What do you guys think of these amps and have you ever played a Bogner modded Marshall?

Cheers, Eddy

They all sound good but different in their own right, I'd have a hard time choosing between them. :yesway:

tschrama

Reaction score
Both do sound like a early Bogner. Nowadays he makes much more articulate amps, less muffled. What did you see inside? Radical differences? Slight differences, .. could you summarize the specs?

Eddylenz

Reaction score
Both do sound like a early Bogner. Nowadays he makes much more articulate amps, less muffled. What did you see inside? Radical differences? Slight differences, .. could you summarize the specs?
The one that I bought did sound kinda muffled, but the JMP is easily one of the best High Gain amps I've ever played. It's way better than any of the new Bogner stuff if you're into 80s Metal.
The circuits are also very different from the production Bogner amps. All his old High Gain mods are 4 stage non CF designs with very unique values. I've never seen anybody design a circuit the way he did back then.

tschrama

Reaction score
IIRC
the triple gaint was: 1k5//25uF-100k, 3k3//47nF 330k, 3k3 330k, 1k5 25uF 100k.

I think I can hear atleast one 330k. correct? and no 47nF cathode cap at al. but maybe a late highpass like the triple giant?

Last edited:

Eddylenz

Reaction score
IIRC
the triple gaint was: 1k5//25uF-100k, 3k3//47nF 330k, 3k3 330k, 1k5 25uF 100k.

I think I can hear atleast one 330k. correct? and no 47nF cathode cap at al. but maybe a late highpass like the triple giant?
The first cathode in the Triple Giant is 470nF. The Bogner JMP has completely different cathodes and lots of other different things.