Some studio pics and finished songs to boot. Lotsa Marshalls

• Thread starter Purgasound
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
U.S. BRASS | Richmond, VA | Rock | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

Here are some pics from the last session we had. To check out some of the songs go to our Reverbnation page. I have no idea how to stream audio on these forums, sorry.

Hopefully you guys dig the tunes.

I figured this would be relevant since the recording involved plenty of Gibsons and Marshalls. There was an SG Standard, Les Paul, Fender Jazz, and two 2203's, two 2204's and a 1959SLP. One of the horizontal input 2203's was kept as a backup and not tracked. We didn't end up using every amp for every song but whatever fit. I think for the most part the record sounds uniform. We used two 4x12's loaded with Vintage 30's and two 4x12's with Vintage 30's and G12-65's mixed in an "X" pattern. The V30's were the one's mic'd in that case. I actually ended playing all my leads on an old Dean with Gibson 498T/496R pickups. Same pickups in my Les Paul FWIW. Who knows what's in the SG, he thinks it's the same as mine but it's definitely not as hot so he uses a boost pedal which I do not. At least not for any rhythm tracks. The 1959SLP was the best sounding amp of the whole session. I let my other guitarist use that one. Funny story is a guy brought it in to have it retubed, biased and he wanted to be able to play it without going deaf so I hooked him up with a Lar/Mar PPIMV. I was returning it to the guy that weekend but I was able to keep it for a few more days so I definitely used the opportunity to track with it before giving it back. Score! Everything was recorded live and there were no punches. Multiple takes of course except for the track "Rock and Roll" which is one of the Motorhead covers. That was done spur of the moment and we kept the only take.

I'm not in any of these by the way, too ugly. Well, if you want a mug to go with the boorish messages I write than check the last pic, I'm the dude on the left.

IMG_20110604_125837.jpg

IMG_20110604_125942.jpg

IMG_20110604_125904.jpg

IMG_20110604_125849.jpg

IMG_20110604_130021.jpg

IMG_20110604_130103.jpg

IMG_20110604_125913.jpg

The backup

IMG_20110604_125923.jpg

IMG_20110604_130132.jpg

SVT810, always necessary

IMG_20110604_130119.jpg

IMG_20110604_125932.jpg

IMG_20110604_130151.jpg

IMG_20110529_164152.jpg

johnfv

Reaction score
Sounds like some kick ass high energy shit to me...

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
cool, these are originals i assume? cept for the MH covers?

pretty nasty stuff, i liked the hooker one a lot.

you guys must have overdubbed the guitar solos and vox right? sounds like a wall of marshalls, classic vike.

i love that room you guys played in too, what is it, an old factory or mill building? pretty cool

TubeStack

Reaction score
Sounds fucking great, man. Guitars sound huge. Love it.

"Hooker Bust" is wicked!

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
are the guitar cabs facing the wall behind the heads? facing cubical panels? ive got a bunch of those too, they work great for isolating or deadening

sorry for all the questions, i love the details ya know? i like to know how it all ticks...

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool, these are originals i assume? cept for the MH covers?

pretty nasty stuff, i liked the hooker one a lot.

you guys must have overdubbed the guitar solos and vox right? sounds like a wall of marshalls, classic vike.

i love that room you guys played in too, what is it, an old factory or mill building? pretty cool

Yeah, all originals except for "No Class" and "Rock and Roll" which are Motorhead tunes.

Yeah the solo's and vocals were dubbed last. Just the two main guitars, bass, and drums were all done live. There were some scratch vocals but the only bit that made it was me talking at the end of "Rock and Roll". I couldn't bring myself to fade it out since you can't fade out live. We don't end it like that at a show but I thought it would be funny to leave it like that.

The room is the top floor of a lighting and stage company here in Richmond. The building is definitely historic and was probably some kind of factory or manufacturing warehouse during the early 1900's.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
are the guitar cabs facing the wall behind the heads? facing cubical panels? ive got a bunch of those too, they work great for isolating or deadening

sorry for all the questions, i love the details ya know? i like to know how it all ticks...

Yeah they are facing the wall and have those separation panel dealies around them. It worked pretty well isolating the sound without completely deadening the room. For solo's they were removed.

Some of the tracks have a little extra fuzz, more noticeable on some of the leads because the engineer inadvertently drove the front of the board a little hard. It wasn't enough to have us go back and fix anything but I think next session will be much cleaner.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just added two more songs for the hell of it. Thanks for all the responses so far!

Clammy

Reaction score
Fuckin' SWEET, man! "Rock and Roll" is one of my favourite Motorhead tunes, and you guys CRUSHED it!!! :rock:

I can hear some Motorhead in the originals, too (that's a COMPLIMENT, by the way :headbanger:)

Digging it, dude!

Cheers!
:dude::dude::dude:

Blisster

Reaction score
nice dude. Are you still involved in the BM band/project?

This shit is great, really takes me back....

StootMonster

Reaction score
I love the Ramones-esque "1 2 3 4!!!!"

My 2 year old came in to the office when I started playing the tunes, he loves it. He went over to the drums and started banging on them. AWESOME. Definitely a great rock vibe. I bet you guys rock the house when you play gigs.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
Awesomesauce!

The pictures are getting me that much more excited about setting up my studio in the basement of the house I'm moving to in a couple weeks. :dude::dude::dude: Totally GASing for a 1959 / 1987, but we'll have to see what the budget says over the next couple months. :fingersx:

Latest posts