Sorry To Be A Pest: Clip Of The '78 Jmp And Jcm 800 2210

• Thread starter milfwah
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

milfwah

Reaction score
I know my clips aren't as "polished" or as crafty as many on here but I'm trying my hand at getting decent mixes at this point to get experience at quickly getting a "sound" down on "tape".
This is my "78 JMP and my JCM 800 2210 panned hard with my PRS SE, A bass and EZ-Drummer-2.

It's repetitive but the idea is to critique the sound:

LAARS

Reaction score
Nice job. I personally like a little more bottom in the guitar, but you have to be careful it doesn't get to be too much.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Guitars sound good, bass drum sounds too loose and like a sub to my ears.

milfwah

Reaction score
Guitars sound nice to me, what mics did you use?

Guitars sound good, bass drum sounds too loose and like a sub to my ears.

I actually ran the amps with a Hot Plate and used the "load" into Some Ownhammer cab IRs (greenback 4x12s with each panned track using an SM57 right on the cap and the other using a MD-421 5 inches from the cone).

As for the bass and bass drum being "flubby" I agree but it really comes to life at very high volume on my home stereo which is very articulate, punchy and crisp. The bass is using whatever bass amp is in Amplitube-4 and I have very limited knowledge of how to creat bass tone. Drums are "canned" and I guess I could have added an EQ to the track and rolled off the low end a little. I have found though that the louder it gets the better it sounds. Especially if your stereo speakers don't have excessive woofer resonance. Not the case with many modern off the shelf systems.

Sound Of A Gun

Reaction score
I actually ran the amps with a Hot Plate and used the "load" into Some Ownhammer cab IRs (greenback 4x12s with each panned track using an SM57 right on the cap and the other using a MD-421 5 inches from the cone).

As for the bass and bass drum being "flubby" I agree but it really comes to life at very high volume on my home stereo which is very articulate, punchy and crisp. The bass is using whatever bass amp is in Amplitube-4 and I have very limited knowledge of how to creat bass tone. Drums are "canned" and I guess I could have added an EQ to the track and rolled off the low end a little. I have found though that the louder it gets the better it sounds. Especially if your stereo speakers don't have excessive woofer resonance. Not the case with many modern off the shelf systems.

That is an interesting method, micing guitar cabs can get frustrating. I have had successes and failures.

I think your guitars sound crisp but also have punch, the bass is a little lost in the mix, but you could throw an EQ on it, cut the fundamental frequency of the kick out of your bass track using a spectrum analyser and do the same with the kick (the kick will have the lower fundamental), that should create a bit of space, boosting the bass a little bit around 1k-1.2k will give it some sparkle and if you have a spectrum analyser, use it to find the loudest part at around 100-300hz pull a bit of it out (not loads though).

This is all based on my experiences and what has worked for me, it may not work for you and the frequencies I have mentioned are only approximations. Subtractive EQ to make space in the mix does work though.

Blueslicks

Reaction score
I bet you could get a great mix going with off the floor bass and drums as beds. But given the limitations of what you were working with you did awesome IMO.

Guitar sounds really good. Outstanding actually.

Geeze

Reaction score
I know diddly about recording tech - this sounds very good. I also like the repetitive jam as it gives a better test of the tone than the 'hear me wank' demos.

Russ