Sound of hardcore-punk bands in 80' years

• Thread starter jopek
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jopek

Reaction score
Hi, please help me with choosing the speaker for my cabinet.

I am looking for sound of the hardcore-punk bands from 80' years.
They usually played with the marshall cabinets 1960. I know it only from photos.

Here are some examples sounds:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVpxTyOuzyQ]YouTube - Raw Power - politicians (1983 Italy)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQS6_eGTDbM]YouTube - Svart Framtid - Svart Framtid 7" EP[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaOzbsv2ZB0]YouTube - Minor Threat- Minor Threat[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ygtOJdLTM]YouTube - Blut+Eisen - Schlimme Kindheit[/ame]

G12-75T may be what I looking for ?

sorry for my bad english.... :)

topcat 70

Reaction score
Hi, please help me with choosing the speaker for my cabinet.

I am looking for sound of the hardcore-punk bands from 80' years.
They usually played with the marshall cabinets 1960. I know it only from photos.

Here are some examples sounds:

YouTube - Raw Power - politicians (1983 Italy)

YouTube - Svart Framtid - Svart Framtid 7" EP

YouTube - Minor Threat- Minor Threat

YouTube - Blut+Eisen - Schlimme Kindheit

G12-75T may be what I looking for ?

sorry for my bad english.... :)

What about the amp?

jaek

Reaction score
The exploited were good and hardcore

and they used marshalls. Id imagine just 800 cabs too.

core

Reaction score
Yeah for the most part Marshall JMP MKII's and JCM 800's with 1960 cabs with either black backs or the G12-75T.

jopek

Reaction score
I have Tesla Music 70, this is old czechoslovakia tube amp. His concept is similar as JCM 800 and i rebuilt it on JCM 800.
I had 2x12" box with celestion V12-60. I have changed one of the V12-60 for V30, and I am looking for second speaker.
Celestion V30 was a good choice, but I still looking for second speaker,

Hayride13

Reaction score
You have to keep in mind where these guys came from and what they could come up with to work with. A lot was on tight budgets, DIY and when indie labels were truly independent pinching pennies to stay alive.

Yes, 800s were desired when things got successful enough to afford them. Often though, any used amp overdriven was used, some even solid state. Fender Twins were often modified with a TS9 in front. One of my buddies played for Los Olvidados and the Dwarves over the years and he currently uses either a Fender Deluxe he modded or an old tube Peavey that he also modded. The key is an OCD in front. Depending on who he's gigging with, the OCD can dial in tones from street punk, hardcore to skate rock.

I've been able to achieve it decently with a Fender Twin, a 900 and a TSL but he can achieve it with anything because its in the hands. With Johnny Ramone gone, I think my buddy Mike has the fastest pure downstroke I've seen.

jopek

Reaction score
Ok very thanks for your reply....but my question was meant to: What type of speaker would you recommend for this style.
Hayride13: OCD - you mean OCD effect ? Overdrive/Distortion ?

Turrican

Reaction score
Honestly most bands played on the best stuff they could afford. the biggest name bands didn't make enough money to quit their day jobs if they had day jobs but that was ok. If you made too much money the kids would call you a sell out and you would be shunned. I played in bands and went to lots of shows between 81 and 86 and really when I look at old pictures from those days I see more Peaveys in the background then anything else. a lot of bands would go on tour and use the local bands amps and drums so their tone probably changed every night.

Oculophilia

Reaction score
You have to keep in mind where these guys came from and what they could come up with to work with. A lot was on tight budgets, DIY and when indie labels were truly independent pinching pennies to stay alive.

Yes, 800s were desired when things got successful enough to afford them. Often though, any used amp overdriven was used, some even solid state. Fender Twins were often modified with a TS9 in front. One of my buddies played for Los Olvidados and the Dwarves over the years and he currently uses either a Fender Deluxe he modded or an old tube Peavey that he also modded. The key is an OCD in front. Depending on who he's gigging with, the OCD can dial in tones from street punk, hardcore to skate rock.

I've been able to achieve it decently with a Fender Twin, a 900 and a TSL but he can achieve it with anything because its in the hands. With Johnny Ramone gone, I think my buddy Mike has the fastest pure downstroke I've seen.

+1 agreed! I started off with a ss crate amp until i could afford better, moving up through a modded fender bandmaster and jcm 900 4100. I like the OCD a lot, great pedal IMO. I guess you're speaking of Wholly Smokkes? Great tone and playing.

JayCM800

Reaction score
Just play what you have...with a passion! and anger!

For me nothing tops a Marshall, so, if you can swing it ... you won't regret it!:jam:
I use 1960b with 75's for punk/thrash and to me it sounds perfect

Last edited: