Sound volume problem

• Thread starter Alex33600
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex33600

Reaction score
Hello to all

I realize that after 20 minutes of playing, in rehearsal or on stage I don’t get along so well. I had the same remark from my group. Except a problem of sound on my preset ( i'm on headrush gigboard in thé loop effect) that would not be homogeneous ( yet I spent time alone to just smooth the volumes) Could it be that this sensation of loss of volume is related to the valves being tired?
I’m on a 2525h

Thankkkkssssss

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
How does “not get along so well” and “presets” and “homogeneous “ relate to a “sensation of a loss in volume?” Your post is confusing.

PelliX

Reaction score
I realize that after 20 minutes of playing, in rehearsal or on stage I don’t get along so well. I had the same remark from my group.

Cut down on the drinking before and during the first set. :yesway:

Could it be that this sensation of loss of volume is related to the valves being tired?

Could be the alcohol, too... :D

PelliX

Reaction score
Yes, technically it can be caused by that. The simplest and best way to figure out if it's the valves is to replace the valves. Worst case scenario, you now have a known to be working good set of spares.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
Valves could be the problem, but could be something else as well like something on the board getting too hot. If you have a decent amp tech in your area, they should be able to see what is going on pretty quickly since it is working for a little while, if I am understanding your issue.

How old is the amp? Has it ever been serviced and/or checked by a tech?

Sustainium

Reaction score
Every time my amps have had volume and/or cutting out problems replacing tubes has solved it. Good luck and hope you figure it out quickly.

Alex33600

Reaction score
Good evening to all

Thank you for your answers.
When I talk about volume reduction, it is still slight. I think I will first review my volumes, before incriminating the amp... I hadn’t paid attention, the amp is late 2022, and I use it as a hobby for about 120 hours in the year. Not too big i think

Gigi502

Reaction score
I don't know if it's the same scenario of the OP, but also mine 2525h gives me volume problems.
it happens that after 20/25 minutes the volume start do drop, sometimes to zero then goes up etc... like a cable that don't make good contact...
I tried changing cable or guitar but it seems something about the amp.
I read somewhere here that can be something that has to do with send and return inserts, some people suggest to connect them with a patch cable, but I'm not finding the post right now.
anyway I'm going to inquiry again and eventually have it checked in warranty.

Sustainium

Reaction score
I have had repeated tubes cause problems in my relatively new Marshall studio heads. No way did I play that loud or often to needs tubs. But, I have since learned tubes fail anytime. Thinking my power station is giving my amp a workout.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
How does “not get along so well” and “presets” and “homogeneous “ relate to a “sensation of a loss in volume?” Your post is confusing.

Cut down on the drinking before and during the first set. :yesway:

Could be the alcohol, too... :D
I'm guessing the OP's first language is not English? :shrug:

Failing tubes can definitely cause weird things to happen. I just went thru that with one of my amps. I also had volume cutting in and out and the gain was weak. I had a power tube glowing way brighter than the other one and glowing blue so I replaced those, and also found my V1 preamp tube was bad.

Last edited:

Alex33600

Reaction score
Yes, i'm sorry for m'y Bad English...and Google translate is not so good too 😋

I looked at the valve, amp off, they seem good, but i'm not tech. I will send the picture, amp on, this afternoon. You will be able to see better than me.

PelliX

Reaction score
Yes, i'm sorry for m'y Bad English...and Google translate is not so good too

No worries! You're doing pretty good. :yesway:

I looked at the valve, amp off, they seem good, but i'm not tech. I will send the picture, amp on, this afternoon. You will be able to see better than me.

Not even the most skilled tech can visually detect degradation of a valve, unless it's failed "hard" (broken, cracked, getter flash turned white, innards hanging loose). Typically, valves just wear out without any optical indication. Feel free to post the pics, but we won't be able to do much with them, just saying. :)

Alex33600

Reaction score
Hello,

There is a spot on the power amp, and the filaments inside are blue/black.

Attachments

• IMG_20240802_133232_edit_143028893409424.jpg
    IMG_20240802_133232_edit_143028893409424.jpg
    978.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240802_133202_edit_143050241778692.jpg
    IMG_20240802_133202_edit_143050241778692.jpg
    691.6 KB · Views: 4

PelliX

Reaction score
There is a spot on the power amp,

Not sure what you mean here?

The first pic shows the internal pin connections of the valve (and they look fine). The second picture shows some darkening of the glass - not a bad sign, really. Often brand new valves show this from the burn-in period tests.

Like I said before, the only thing you can visually determine about a valve is signs of burns/overheating (the dye/print turns grey or there are severe black marks) or the seal is broken and the getter flash (the silver at the top) has turned white. If it's gone white, the valve's vacuum has been broken and it's useless.