Sounding out of tune

• Thread starter mrjones2004x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I've tried Eb a few times but I can't get on wiith it. Always sounds odd.

Resident 217

Reaction score
If using an electronic tuner the tuning will go off naturally .
Try tuning them to each other should help quite a bit.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Wondered if it just me or others find this also happens to them.

I’ve been playing my evh franky exclusively since I got it and it’s tuned to e flat and mainly I’m noddling on the sofa unplugged just enjoying the feel and playability of it.

So I put it down and grabbed my Les Paul special which is tuned to E standard. No matter how accurate I get it in tune it sounds whack. It’s spot on in tune but my ear can’t adjust to it being in standard tuning and it just sounds weird and wrong.

It’s just my ear but man it’s so odd. Wondered if anyone else gets this when switching between guitars of different tunings ???
Check your intonation, your ear may be correct!

Torren61

Reaction score
If the strings are in tune, it could be the intonation being off. If you have an accurate tuner, you can try playing the open string, then gently fretting the 12th fret and playing the string again. If the fretted note is sharper or flatter compared to the open note, it’s your intonation on that guitar.
I've recently discovered that when I need to set intonation, I play an open string and then fret at the 19th fret. When I get the two spots in tune with each other, I double check at the 12th fret and I'm in tune all over the fretboard. Try it.

JJ119

Reaction score
I've recently discovered that when I need to set intonation, I play an open string and then fret at the 19th fret. When I get the two spots in tune with each other, I double check at the 12th fret and I'm in tune all over the fretboard. Try it.
Interesting!!
I will give this a try.
Been having a problem getting intonation lately.

Crikey

Reaction score
Wondered if it just me or others find this also happens to them.

I’ve been playing my evh franky exclusively since I got it and it’s tuned to e flat and mainly I’m noddling on the sofa unplugged just enjoying the feel and playability of it.

So I put it down and grabbed my Les Paul special which is tuned to E standard. No matter how accurate I get it in tune it sounds whack. It’s spot on in tune but my ear can’t adjust to it being in standard tuning and it just sounds weird and wrong.

It’s just my ear but man it’s so odd. Wondered if anyone else gets this when switching between guitars of different tunings ???
its not just you. I tune to 432 and the G string and B string sometimes don't register on the tuner.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
This is fascinating to me. I have guitars in E, Eb and D here and I usually don't have an issue switching between them. I was not even aware of this phenomenon. I wonder what causes it? I mean, every guitar have all 12 notes. Tuning down only extends the low range a bit.

Very interesting.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
This is fascinating to me. I have guitars in E, Eb and D here and I usually don't have an issue switching between them. I was not even aware of this phenomenon. I wonder what causes it? I mean, every guitar have all 12 notes. Tuning down only extends the low range a bit.

Very interesting.
I also dont have a problem switching tunings, today I have been playing in standard and a Baritone in Cm, no issues.
I think maybe its because when I learned I did not have one of those expensive electric tuners and just tuned the guitar to itself.
I knew most of the time it wasnt at concert pitch but it did not matter to me.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
I've tried Eb a few times but I can't get on wiith it. Always sounds odd.
Try tuning a quarter step down, not a half. Known as "AC/DC" tuning.

My " the fuck'n'thing won't tune up" days greatly reduced. A440HZ doesn't work for everyone.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
I think maybe its because when I learned I did not have one of those expensive electric tuners and just tuned the guitar to itself.
I knew most of the time it wasnt at concert pitch but it did not matter to me.
Yeah, I learned the same way. You might be onto something here.

I also play keys/piano which has a much bigger range and modulating keys is very easy so that might also be part of it.

PelliX

Reaction score
its not just you. I tune to 432 and the G string and B string sometimes don't register on the tuner.

Sounds like a limitation of the tuner. Logically, they're designed for concert pitch, but none of mine have issues with non standard pitches (which I use to play along with stuff sometimes). As for the A=432Hz, I don't see why people use anything except concert pitch - it's just deviating from the standard for no good reason unless you have something in your mix that can't do proper pitch, like a particular singer or some kind of untuneable instrument. And please don't go down the "harmonic frequency of the universe's cosmic energy" nonsense road... :rofl:

Crikey

Reaction score
Sounds like a limitation of the tuner. Logically, they're designed for concert pitch, but none of mine have issues with non standard pitches (which I use to play along with stuff sometimes). As for the A=432Hz, I don't see why people use anything except concert pitch - it's just deviating from the standard for no good reason unless you have something in your mix that can't do proper pitch, like a particular singer or some kind of untuneable instrument. And please don't go down the "harmonic frequency of the universe's cosmic energy" nonsense road... :rofl:
Dude its the solfeggio frequencies….. intergalatic frequency baby. Im riding that frequency wave straight to the brain 😂

Last edited: