Sovtek - Electro Harmonix Mig 50 Amps

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've been curious about these amps but havent found one to try, they are very affordable. Does anybody have any experience with them?

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I've been curious about these amps but havent found one to try, they are very affordable. Does anybody have any experience with them?

You have to change the pots.
The pots were so cheap and flimsy that they literally fall apart. But, with flying leads you can put good pots in.

The amp itself is kind of clean like a bandmaster, but you can tweak it up. It would be a good pedal amp...by itself the sound is pretty weak until you modify it.

mig50 three smallpic.png

mig 50 two smallpic.png

mig 50 one smallpic.png

Im247frogs

Reaction score
I remember back in the 90's when those hit, even my friends who played clean were like "they're too clean".

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Clean? Yeah if you play at low volumes. It does not have a master volume.
I have one. It is stock and I wouldn't call it weak sounding. I do agree that the stock pots are plastic trash. But the 90's russian sovteks. I don't think the new Electro Harmonix reissues have those shitty pots.

All guitars here were recorded with the same Mig50. I don't recall using pedals, if there was a pedal it was probably a clean boost. But pretty much all knobs on 10:

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Clean? Yeah if you play at low volumes. It does not have a master volume.
I have one. It is stock and I wouldn't call it weak sounding. I do agree that the stock pots are plastic trash. But the 90's russian sovteks. I don't think the new Electro Harmonix reissues have those shitty pots.

All guitars here were recorded with the same Mig50. I don't recall using pedals, if there was a pedal it was probably a clean boost. But pretty much all knobs on 10:

"I don't think the new Electro Harmonix reissues have those shitty pots."

I hope not.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember back in the 90's when those hit, even my friends who played clean were like "they're too clean".

They're not, ya just gotta know how to work 'em
Ive been using 'em on 3 continents since 1999......AND rebuilding em when need be

I know nothing of the new EH version ,as they cost Traynor / Bassman /Laney money, meaning, Id buy one of them before Id spend $500 on a Sovtek
Of the 3 90's ones that I have ,I think the most I paid was 200-250

Usual Euro rig since about '04

My rig on the Gary Moore tour Germany 2009 .I used the combo speakers as a cab ,running 4x10s and 2x12s with the MiG

Last edited:

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
They're not, ya just gotta know how to work 'em
Ive been using 'em on 3 continents since 1999......AND rebuilding em when need be

I know nothing of the new EH version ,as they cost Traynor / Bassman /Laney money, meaning, Id buy one of them before Id spend $500 on a Sovtek
Of the 3 90's ones that I have ,I think the most I paid was 200-250

Usual Euro rig since about '04

My rig on the Gary Moore tour Germany 2009 .I used the combo speakers as a cab ,running 4x10s and 2x12s with the MiG

A lot of players use them for bass amps because the distortion is so low.

The original pots were something like this: (only cheaper)
images

royslead

Reaction score
I think someone else here, has one of the first reissues from ElectroHarmonix, but I cannot remember who it was. I've never played one, just don't see them around too much. I thought they had a circuit closer to a Marshall of some type; but I'm sure I am mistaken.

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
My first tube amp was a Sovtek MiG60 (2204-style amp), I remember it fondly. Wish they'd reissue this one as well, I'd be tempted...

And yeah, I've seen a few bass players using the Mig50, especially metal/stoner guys.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of players use them for bass amps because the distortion is so low.

The original pots were something like this: (only cheaper)
images

Not a fan of the pots. Ive changed 'em on two of my amps .One direct hit from the front and those pots are gone ......the plastic switches too
I still have yet to change the pots on one of 'em ,probably because it's always in a case when not being played .

We've used em for bass on occasion .....usually where we're playin ROCK in a close quarters coffeehouse style gig , where I might be using a Champ or Pro Jr for guitar

If you guys notice ,in the Gary Moore pic, the brite vol on my amp is about 80%. There's nothing "clean" about that coupled with a Les Paul, I guarantee

Moore loved the sound of it , he'd bring his entourage out to see our set pretty much every night

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few old MiG clips . This amp has a PPIMV, you can't get too loud into the phone ;)

1st with a Les Paul. I can't see where the volume is because there's a meat hook is in the way

Same amp with a couple strats, settings probably about the same
Clean-er , as it should be

Latest posts