• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Speaker break in question.

• Thread starter speyfly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Why don't speakers makers break them in at the factory? Surely it would be to their benefit to have the potential customer listen to them sounding as intended? If you were doing a quick shootout, shouldn't the broken-in one be winning?

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Why don't speakers makers break them in at the factory? Surely it would be to their benefit to have the potential customer listen to them sounding as intended? If you were doing a quick shootout, shouldn't the broken-in one be winning?
Simply cost is my guess.
They want to get the speakers into a box and out the door as fast as they can, to sell them.
The numbers they produce would come to a grinding halt if every speaker, that takes 4 hours (at a guess) to make, then has to be hooked up to 'breaking in' apparatus, in a massive (to accommodate high turnover), soundproof (to protect the staff) room for a whole week.

A smaller, bespoke service with an additional charge would be a good idea though.
A bit like tube matching.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
I've bought 2 or 3 Weber speakers that are pre-broken in and the difference it makes is massive. All manufacturers should offer this, but it's not a real revenue stream and logistically sucks for them, so I can see why it isn't done.

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score

Scumback Speakers,​

While I have your attention and I value your opinion, what is the perfect 1X12 closed back cab for your Scumnico 12" 65/8 for late 60"s - early 80's rock/blues? I have one in a Freidman Vintage 112 but I really would love your opinion on this subject.

Thx,

EDIT:
I think my question is a little out of line since I know that I asked you to endorse a cab so...

How about cabinet size and any other info you would like to share and if necessary I could start a new thread.
The perfect 1x12? Well, that would have been the one I used to build, scroll to the bottom of this link.

Alnicos in general like to be in open back cabs, IME, and that's what most clients use for a cab that order an SC75. Something about a closed back cab diminishes some of the "alnico midrange swirl" that it provides to the tone. Open back cabs work better.

That said, I have clients that ordered 4x12's with four Scumnicos and they say they do really well from 60-80's even hard rock/metal...so WTH do I know? LOL

The size of the cab is important, you can't have them too deep for an alnico.

Not sure if this helps, but check my 1x12 size, and see who makes one out there in similar dimensions.

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
There's a lot of extra time involved in doing the break in. As SkyMonkey said, they'd have to be setup with a room, timers, etc. Many times during my break in process I'll take a speaker out and test it to see if it's getting more flexible. If not, it goes back in awhile longer.

M style 35 oz magnets take a good 20-24 hours at 11 volts on a variac. H style 50 oz magnet take 30-34 hours since the magnet keeps the cone from moving as easily due to the stronger magnetic pull.

While a speaker only takes 25-30 minutes to build, you do have to wait for the glues and doping to cure, which can be anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours depending on weather conditions. Then you add in the break in time, and you're talking a good 2-3 days before you can ship it out.

So the time, the extra cost, and keeping track of it all factors into why most speaker makers don't do it.

Latest posts