Speaker replacement (Rex/V30) & Build/Modify old cab for DSL20CR

• Thread starter bhatta
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bhatta

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am now in a place to either build/modify a cab for a 112 or 212.

Being where I am, I have got 2 speakers that I have heard much about and have no experience with.
The Celestion G12 vintage 30 or Eminence Cannabis Rex.

I understand that the Celestion is more suited towards the British sound and goes well with Marshall.
However I am getting the Rex far cheaper and I am yet to read anything bad about them.

Some people have used them with Marshalls to their liking.

Also, I have never built a cab and am only armed with a Jigsaw, Drill, Screwdriver and that's about it.
All the videos I have seen in YouTube point towards finger-joints which seems to be well beyond my building abilities.

However, I have an old White Horse 4X8 cab (Dont use anymore), I was thinking of cutting a 12 inch hole at the back side of this cab and hook it up, if you know what I mean. The cab is made of MDF and the back side is about quarter inch board.

I know you people have a lot of expertise in these matters and want you to guide me.
Both regarding the selection of Rex and cab build/modify.

Maybe I am insane, but I really am gassing for a speaker upgrade to my DSL20CR.

Cheers

PS: If you need pictures of the cab I am referring to, just let me know

BlueX

Reaction score
Have you checked what it would cost to order any of these from Thomann (see below)? You can buy them with speakers as well.

If you don't have equipment to cut material yourself (correct dimensions, straight edges, and square corners), maybe you can buy material cut-to-measure? Or pay some wood-worker to cut it for you.

Finger-joints are not necessary (but good of course). You can put reinforcements inside instead. If the baffle is properly fastened inside cab it will make a strong box, particularly with the back panel put in place.

You probably want to go over edges and corners with radius router bit when box is ready. Looks much better, and reduces wear.

There are cab plans available, and you can probably get a lot of advice here if you decide to DIY (which is fun, and satisfying when completed).

Last edited:

bhatta

Reaction score
Thanks a ton @BlueX
I understand, HB sells loaded 212 for less than the cost of the speakers !

But HB is not available in India.
Not seen much, definitely not cabs.
Also, the unloaded cab from Thomann along with shipping (surely there'll be exise duties added later) is more than what I am paying for speaker.

I am leaning towards the Cannabis Rex coz of pricing, I can get 2 of them.
Here's their details:
If you don't have equipment to cut material yourself (correct dimensions, straight edges, and square corners), maybe you can buy material cut-to-measure? Or pay some wood-worker to cut it for you.
This here, what you've said is making a lot of sense to me.
But will they be able to do the grill work, is a question. I intend to paint them and not cover them in tolex or whatever that black thing is.

Last edited:

BlueX

Reaction score
But will they be able to do the grill work, is a question.
Maybe have a go at it yourself? Buy extra, and make a "trial run" first. There are plenty of Youtube videos how to, plus help here on the forum.

If not, do you know someone "dressing" furniture (or what's it called in English)? Such a person can surely do it.

Also, wouldn't be surprised if @fitz contributes with some good advice.

bhatta

Reaction score
& now I am torn between a CV75, which is more British sounding, V30, than the Cannabis Rex!

Damn.
Need to settle this quick.
Also, is 212 twice as loud as 112?

BlueX

Reaction score
Also, is 212 twice as loud as 112?
Speaker sensitivity (measured in dB) will influence how loud the sound is, not necessarily the number of speakers. Bigger cab and more speakers usually give a "fuller" sound, although you can get phase cancellation effects from multiple speakers.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an old White Horse 4X8 cab (Dont use anymore), I was thinking of cutting a 12 inch hole at the back side of this cab and hook it up, if you know what I mean. The cab is made of MDF and the back side is about quarter inch board.
I would not recommend using the 1/4" back panel to mount a 12" speaker.
A new front baffle panel would be worth the effort.
If you could cut a speaker hole, you should be able to cut a new baffle panel
PS: If you need pictures of the cab I am referring to, just let me know
Pics would be nice for ideas on mods, but rough dimensions would also be helpful.
If it's in the range of about 24" x 24", you could possibly make a 2x12.

bhatta

Reaction score
I would not recommend using the 1/4" back panel to mount a 12" speaker.
A new front baffle panel would be worth the effort.
If you could cut a speaker hole, you should be able to cut a new baffle panel

Pics would be nice for ideas on mods, but rough dimensions would also be helpful.
If it's in the range of about 24" x 24", you could possibly make a 2x12.
I am attaching a pic of the cab, but the dimensions don't look good to me.
Its a 24x24 inch cab alright.
The top half is slanting (in case it's not clear in the picture) and the white piping inside measures 21 inch X 21 inch.
Not very hopeful.

24x24Cab.jpg

But I can always get a half inch or 1-inch MDF or suitable board for the back panel.
I hafta check if that way I can fit the 12-inch speakers somehow, maybe, diagonally.

What is a baffle exactly, please pardon my ignorance. The frame with the grill cloth?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a 24x24 inch cab alright.
The top half is slanting (in case it's not clear in the picture) and the white piping inside measures 21 inch X 21 inch.
Not very hopeful.
This Marshall SJ 2556A cab is 24x24 outside dimensions.
A pair of 12" speakers fit just fine diagonally.

2556.23.jpg
2556.22.jpg

What is a baffle exactly, please pardon my ignorance. The frame with the grill cloth?
Yes, the baffle is the board that you mount the speakers onto.
The grill cloth is often also attached to the baffle, but it can also be on a separate frame.

bhatta

Reaction score
This Marshall SJ 2556A cab is 24x24 outside dimensions.
A pair of 12" speakers fit just fine diagonally.

View attachment 153340
View attachment 153341

Yes, the baffle is the board that you mount the speakers onto.
The grill cloth is often also attached to the baffle, but it can also be on a separate frame.

Oh! this gives me hope, in case things turn south in making one.
Thanks for explaining the baffle @fitz , was always puzzled by the term.

I am gonna go lookout for a carpenter and check the cost estimates.
Also, am reading up on the speakers.

Am I committing sin in pairing Rex with Marshall, a few people on different boards including MF have been quite pleased with a Rex with their DSL40 and other bright Marshall amps.
Wonder how the DSL20 will sound.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with mixing speakers of different brands.
The different tones can sometimes complement each other.

Sensitivity is one of the more important speaker specifications when you are mixing different speakers.
A higher sensitivity will be louder, and you will hear it more than a lower sensitivy speaker in a pair.

BlueX

Reaction score
Speaker preference is very individual, nothing right or wrong except what you think about the sound.

In addition to sensitivity mentioned by @fitz you also need to match impedance (typically 8 or 16 Ohm) for two or more speakers.

bhatta

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with mixing speakers of different brands.
The different tones can sometimes complement each other.

Sensitivity is one of the more important speaker specifications when you are mixing different speakers.
A higher sensitivity will be louder, and you will hear it more than a lower sensitivy speaker in a pair.
The Rex sensitivity is 101.8 and for CV75 it's 102.2
Not much there, so if i mix them I will get a balanced output (almost)

But does one British voiced speaker go with a Rex, which I believe is more American.
Being a smoker, i bend towards the hemp cone 😂

Speaker preference is very individual, nothing right or wrong except what you think about the sound.

In addition to sensitivity mentioned by @fitz you also need to match impedance (typically 8 or 16 Ohm) for two or more speakers.
Having not used any speaker other than those that came with combos like BluesJr am very little experienced.
Both speakers are 8 ohm. So if i hook them in series I will have a 16ohm cab, if I remember my physics correctly.
That's another thing.
The outputs of DSL20 are one 16ohm and then 2 more with 8ohm and 16 ohm written.
I am confused by those 2. Will I need to fix both with cabs or any one either 8 or 16 will do?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The outputs of DSL20 are one 16ohm and then 2 more with 8ohm and 16 ohm written.
I am confused by those 2. Will I need to fix both with cabs or any one either 8 or 16 will do?
Those 2 jacks are parallel wired on the 8 ohm transformer tap.
You can use one 8 ohm cab in either, or two 16 ohm cabs in both.

bhatta

Reaction score
Those 2 jacks are parallel wired on the 8 ohm transformer tap.
You can use one 8 ohm cab in either, or two 16 ohm cabs in both.
So I can use one of them for 8 ohm, but if I am using 16ohm cab I have to use 2x16ohm cabs?

If I make a 16ohm cab using the 2 speakers, I can simply disconnect the existing speaker and plug in the cab in that same socket?

I am thick.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For one 16 ohm cab, just use the 1x16 jack.
So yes, if the combo speaker is 16 ohm, unplug and use that jack for the external cab.

If you make a 16 ohm 2x12 cab, you could use the internal speaker and the cab together in the (1x8) 2x16 jacks.
The internal speaker will receive 1/2 of the amp output watts and may be a little louder than the 2x12 cab, but no harm to anything.

Geeze

Reaction score
Doing the diagonal mounting as @fitz mentioned you can probably use 1/2" thick plywood. It's important to be furniture grade or BB plywood - these don't have hidden voids in the inner ply's that can resonate odd noises. You'll probably need to add bracing on the back side as well.

Russ

bhatta

Reaction score
Update: I tried to transfer the money for the speakers yesterday but there was some banking glitch. It has put some doubt in my mind about the authenticity of the deal.
I found the dealer thru' Eminence website 'Find a Dealer' link.. but still with the glitch I got nervous.

Btw, I was ordering 2 Rex .

I will try today again. But maybe, just get one speaker first, check for the product and then get another.

This also allows me to fit the Rex in my combo and check for the tones. I get that it will need some breaking in to shine.

Does a Rex fit in DSL20 combo? I hafta find out.
No help on web, only DSL40's with Rex I could find!

Let's see how it goes.

Latest posts