Speaker upgrade for Marshall Valvestate S80 8240

Afonsom98

Reaction score
Hi guys, i recently adquired a Marshall Valvestate S80 8240 combo amp. I´m happy with my purchase and I´ve been using the amp with my Boss GT-100, which has been fun. I noticed than the clean tone of the amp has a sound that i don´t like when the mid control is at 12 o´clock. Sounds kinda honky. When I turned it at 9 o´clock, sounds better, but it gets lost in rehearsals/gigs since the guitar is mid range instrument. I´ve read that replacing the speakers might be a good solution. I ask you if it is, and if you guys have some speakers recommendations? Thank you in advance.

PS: sounds like this whether the fx loop is all the way dry or wet

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i recently adquired a Marshall Valvestate S80 8240 combo amp. I´m happy with my purchase and I´ve been using the amp with my Boss GT-100, which has been fun. I noticed than the clean tone of the amp has a sound that i don´t like when the mid control is at 12 o´clock. Sounds kinda honky. When I turned it at 9 o´clock, sounds better, but it gets lost in rehearsals/gigs since the guitar is mid range instrument. I´ve read that replacing the speakers might be a good solution. I ask you if it is, and if you guys have some speakers recommendations? Thank you in advance.

PS: sounds like this whether the fx loop is all the way dry or wet
:welcome: to the forum.
I don't know much about the stock G12T speakers beyond that they are 4 ohms.
Just about any pair of 12" speakers can be used - as long as the replacements can each handle at least 40 watts.
25w Greenbacks might sound nice for example, but that amp could fry them.
Higher ohm rating will lower the output wattage of the amp but should be fine other than that.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
There are a lot of choices in speakers. Lots of brands. Not only Celestion makes speakers. To me, the best thing a player can do, who truly wants to improve on their amp and tone, is listen Mto it's tone closely closing their eyes. And think about how you want to shape it. A tighter bottom end. Make it brighter or warmer. More prominent or less prominent mids. Than listen to every example they can find of people who have the same amp and have changed the speaker out of theirs and made videos on it. And listen to how it was shaped. Then listen to as many good examples of speakers out there and there differences, read there descriptions, and pick the one you think will give you what you are looking for best.

These are some.

Or you can say to hell with that and just buy what everyone else does.