Steps for C19 Mod DSL40C for a Noob?

• Thread starter xmacvicar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xmacvicar

Reaction score
My local amp tech is saying it would cost me $40 to clip the C19 cap on my DSL40C....so I don't want to do that.

I have read that its a very easy procedure and relatively safe one as these amps drain the lethal voltage as they cool?

I am familiar with taking out the chassis but is there anything else I need to know? I read that you should use a low wattage soldering gun to lift just one leg off the pcb...

I've never done this before so just looking for any guidance or tips from seasoned experts

Thanks!

Jazz P Bass

Reaction score
If you really are not aware of what it takes to work safely on a tube amp, $40.00 is cheap insurance.

Here is a link to a pic of C19.
MarshallDSL40Ca.jpg Photo by tmac1 | Photobucket#!
It is directly in front of VR3, along with C20.
The board is clearly marked.

Keep in mind that simply 'clipping out' one lead of C19 is considered a hack job.
(if the 'mod' needs to be reversed, then a new cap has to be purchased)

To do it properly, the one lead should be hit with a soldering iron & lifted out.
Preferably with the board removed, working on the solder side of the PCB.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
Clip one leg exactly in the middle. If you don't like it, a tiny drop of solder and you're back to stock with no worries. :yesway: Removing the whole cap or desoldering is a total waste of time for this mod...

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I clipped one leg of mine. Hackjob I guess but it worked fine. Keeps both channels basically even EQ wise. I never looked back. Been over a year.

Latest posts