• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Steve Vai's modded 1959 JMP

• Thread starter Strateuphoria
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
$%28KGrHqVHJ!0E8+klowoCBP%2855tL7EQ~~60_57.JPG

$%28KGrHqJHJCYE9!E7%292ozBP%2855gr0VQ~~60_57.JPG

STEVE VAI

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
I'm concerned at the 2 amp HT Fuse rating. Should only be 1A on 100 watters. Mains fuse should be 4 amp if it's wired for 120V operation and 2 amp if it's wired for 230/240V operation.

Mr. Bones

Reaction score
The small white printing makes me think the caps are ARS, same brand as the tubes.
Is this amp actually a 2203?
It appears to have had an original master volume and a Pre amp volume instead of a volume for each channel, and they could have added the extra two jacks at some point in time. ????

plexifier

Reaction score
I'm more concerned about anyone chasing Vai's tone! (not that Strateuphoria mentioned this). Vai is obviously very talented but his tone has never inspired me. Just my opinion.

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
Master 1 in front and a master 2 on the back. What setup is that? What do they do?

I'm thinking, the one in the front is a pre-gain (this 1959 is modded like on a 2203) and the volume on the back could be a PPIMV.

"The 100 watt Marshall JMP was given to Ted Templeman by Steve Stevens during the NYC recording sessions for “Eat Em and Smile.” The amp was then modded to Steve’s liking by Lee Jackson, famous for performing sought after custom modifications to Marshall amplifiers for top artists in the 1980′s and 1990′s. It was Steve’s main amp for the “Eat Em and Smile”sessions and used on the entire David Lee Roth tour. The 100 watt plexi head features an extra gain stage, frequency adjust control, effects loop & master volume. The head has been well maintained in Los Angeles and features matching Drake transformers, KT88 quad-matched power tubes & hand-selected pre-amp tubes to Steve’s liking.

The twin 4×12 cabinets are outfitted with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers made in Ipswich, England. Both cabinets bear Steve’s signature, certification & are in perfect working order."

the 2 extra tubes could have to do with the fx loop and freq adjust?

AudioWonderland

Reaction score
I'm thinking, the one in the front is a pre-gain (this 1959 is modded like on a 2203) and the volume on the back could be a PPIMV.

"The 100 watt Marshall JMP was given to Ted Templeman by Steve Stevens during the NYC recording sessions for “Eat Em and Smile.” The amp was then modded to Steve’s liking by Lee Jackson, famous for performing sought after custom modifications to Marshall amplifiers for top artists in the 1980′s and 1990′s. It was Steve’s main amp for the “Eat Em and Smile”sessions and used on the entire David Lee Roth tour. The 100 watt plexi head features an extra gain stage, frequency adjust control, effects loop & master volume. The head has been well maintained in Los Angeles and features matching Drake transformers, KT88 quad-matched power tubes & hand-selected pre-amp tubes to Steve’s liking.

The twin 4×12 cabinets are outfitted with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers made in Ipswich, England. Both cabinets bear Steve’s signature, certification & are in perfect working order."

the 2 extra tubes could have to do with the fx loop and freq adjust?

They referenced that as a plexi? I thought the plexi era was long over by the time this amp was built

Fe911

Reaction score
My vote goes to 1979 2203, with the "L" serial number. But what is the large blue thing between the transformers that is taller then the tubes?

dreyn77

Reaction score
maybe the last shows were in australia, england etc... hence the 240 volt fuse! I know steve maybe I'll ask him if your nice to me.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Its probibly the SAME F...ING AMP under the vinyl! In guitar player mag there is a pick of steves gear with 4 marshall heads and one marshall practice combo (grey colour) they have the labels which say 'loud, louder, too much and rediculous'! Find the tab book of eatem and smile and it tells you details and speaker wattages! great news!