Strange 1967 halfstack

• Thread starter granttg83
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BygoneTones

Reaction score
The speakers are mid 68. They have the sticker residue on the labels from the 25w sticker. Also you can see the date codes on the chassis. Likely April 68 to July 68.

Assuming original to the cab, then they are probably DA date codes and that would be one of the last pinstripe cabs. EA maybe but that would be a first for me if original.

Of course the speakers might not be original to the cab, and the pinstripe grill might not be original etc etc. Never trust a dealer. Needs to be looked at more closely to authenticate. The 100 logo is not right for a cab loaded with T1221. So something is off there. I would want to see the metal handles properly for a start to make sure they are the correct type for a pinstripe cab.

Blake F

Reaction score
Ditto on the statement about uploading A LOT more pics. It's going to be a little difficult to evaluate from such a distance and the fact that this person/shop has only sold 15 items would make me nervous to give them such an amount of money. I won't get into the price- if you have that kind of money and it's no biggie for you, go right ahead. Having bought a lot of vintage gear I will tell you what I have learned and what I would do: *If* the amp and cab are legit, and none of the speakers are blown or reconed (which is very common for those 20 watters) then your work will be in evaluating the originality and working order of everything. A $15k half stack will require LOTS of pics of the amp guts and transformers. Blown/replaced transfomers will drop the price by many thousands and personally I wouldn't even buy it without original working transformers as I'm convinced there is nobody making them exactly like the old ones despite claims otherwise. Those 20 watt speakers sound KILLER and are highly coveted but you will need to check out the stamps on the cones and gaskets and the seller will need to provide those to you. You can use the ByGone Tones site to verify their authenticity and the person who runs that site usually will even assist you without charge. Do not buy if speakers are reconed. If you buy it and get it home I would IMMEDIATELY get it to a GOOD amp tech to verify that there's nothing wrong with those transformers and speakers. Even some good amp techs don't know there are 2 different simple tricks to testing transformers for shorts that can be done without removing the transformers- if you get that far DM me and I will supply the test method to your tech. Next, you will need an attenuator in advance so you don't blow the speakers. I strongly recommend the Fryette Power station and stay with the 50W model so as not to damage those speakers. Then listen to the speakers for buzz or any other weird noise. If the speakers pass the listen test, due to the value of them, I would also carefully take each one out and do the 'finger press test' to make sure there's no coil rub- however, learn how to do this first so you press evenly and don't press too hard. Transit from Belgium might make the speakers' spider gasket come loose and that's not a deal-breaker for such old speakers and it's easily repairable and you can do it yourself.

If the seller won't provide all the pics you need and says something like "I'm not removing the chassis from the cabinet, or I'm not taking the speakers out to get pics of the cone and gasket stamps", walk away. Also remember there *are* a couple Reverb scams where you could get burned for your money. Look it up on YouTube on Trogly's channel. I would also get in phone contact with Reverb employees and ask them how to complete this transaction without risk. Reverb will give you several days to evaluate before paying the seller but you have to do the transaction EXACTLY like they say. Watch Trogly's video and treat this seller like a scammer- he fits the profile with his low number of items sold- those items could have been sold to himself to make his site look legit just to get the big ticket item scammed.

BluezMe

Reaction score
My first thought is why are the top speakers mounted incorrectly.
Thinking the top speaker Tabs should be facing inward and not down.
Possible explanation is the wiring isn't long enough from bottom to top to mount them correctly.
The speakers may be original.... but then why is the Wiring Harness (loom) so messed up. There should be more tighter Braids in the twisting of the Black and Red Wires.
I suspect if the loom is incorrect... the Speakers have been replaced as well

Last edited:

Brewster

Reaction score
Well if the speaker dating is that late the cabinet should have a basket and not a pinstripe.