• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Strat Neck Swap - Rosewood And Maple

• Thread starter johnfv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Swap the necks?

• go for it - rosewood/ash and maple/mahogany FTW

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • leave them as is

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

johnfv

Reaction score
Thinking about swapping these necks, what do y'all think? I'm considering this for the tone, hoping that the rosewood fingerboard will warm up the tone from the blue swamp ash body and the also the punch of maple fingerboard will compliment the mahogany/maple top body. What do you think about the look? Here is how they are before:
NeckSwapB4.jpg

Here is the swap I am considering:
NeckSwapAfter.jpgGreat Warmoth necks and bodies:
NeckSwap.jpg

Philip Lyon

Reaction score
My own personal preference would be to leave them as they are - Maple neck + Swamp Ash body and Rosewood neck + Mahogany / Maple body.
From my own experience I feel that this arrangement allows the woods of necks and bodies to best compliment each other tonally and gives two very different sounding instruments, one leans more toward Gibson territory and the other is more Fender flavored.
I have personally never liked the look of Lake Placid Blue with rosewood and feel it is more aesthetically pleasing when mated up with a maple neck.
I wouldn't say no to either in whatever form though - I used to have a 3 lb 10 oz Alder Warmoth body Strat in Lake Placid Blue with a Floyd, single bucker and a bird's eye maple neck and really regret selling it now - that thing was a Charvel killer and a half !
Warmoth know good wood - end of story.

johnfv

Reaction score
I like the look of blue with the rosewood (in fact I have 2 others :) ) but am struggling a bit with the look of the maple fingerboard with the dark flame top. Plus the abalone inlays on the maple compliment the blue nicely. I may chicken out and leave them as they were...

Philip Lyon

Reaction score
SDC11169.JPG We obviously share very similar tastes in necks. My bird's eye maple neck had blue abelone dot inlays too !
I forgot that this was one of the reasons it complimented the blue body so well - this is where my aesthetic bias comes from.
I even fitted blue abelone topped chromed dome knobs to continue the theme eventually - sad aren't I !!!!

Last edited:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Thinking about swapping these necks, what do y'all think? I'm considering this for the tone, hoping that the rosewood fingerboard will warm up the tone from the blue swamp ash body and the also the punch of maple fingerboard will compliment the mahogany/maple top body. What do you think about the look? Here is how they are before:

Swap out that brown bodied mother all together. lmao
It's not a very pleasing aesthetic, as they say.(jk)

rick16v

Reaction score
Do it, and take recordings with fresh strings on both guitars before and after the swap, without adjusting your amp.

And take recordings of the clean sounds too.

I would love to hear the maple/rosewood difference people refer to.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't care for the maple neck against the dark maple top, but I think rosewood on Lake Placid Blue is sexy! I am a bit biased though.

bEVXXs3.jpg

johnfv

Reaction score
Thanks everyone that offered an opinion. I did decide against the neck swap (kept them as is). The one thing I DID change: I had a treble bleed on the blue one and I think it was contributing to the thin tone. I clipped it off and now the bottom end is fatter for sure but still plenty of punch from the maple/swamp ash. As an added bonus, both guitars now have fresh strings and are in top playing condition so I'm giving them a workout.
NeckSwapTrebleBleed.jpg

I did consider a vintage tint neck on the mahogany body but ended up putting the rosewood back on there. I was thinking maybe an ebony board with pearl inlays might be cool on there... :hmm:
NeckSwapAnotherOption.jpg

Gianni

Reaction score
The video below is one of the better ones you’ll find on YouTube, clearly demonstrating, in my experience too, that, though not greatly, “the rosewood fingerboard will warm up the tone from the blue swamp ash body.”

I voted ‘go for it’, but only you can decide whether the difference in tone is considerable enough so as to make the change. Regarding looks, tone comes first, but both combinations look good to me. ;)

johnfv

Reaction score
The video below is one of the better ones you’ll find on YouTube, clearly demonstrating, in my experience too, that, though not greatly, “the rosewood fingerboard will warm up the tone from the blue swamp ash body.”

I voted ‘go for it’, but only you can decide whether the difference in tone is considerable enough so as to make the change. Regarding looks, tone comes first, but both combinations look good to me. ;)

Thanks for posting that! The differences may not translate as well into recording as what you experience "in person" but that's a good demonstration. Much of the reason I ended up building so many partscasters with different woods, etc. was to better understand what contributes to the differences in tone. The first time I tried to create a backup for my main Strat really opened my eyes. It was same electronics, the only significant difference maple vs. rosewood fingerboard and sounded substantially different.

On my neck swap: for now I have kept the maple fingerboard on the blue swamp ash body, but from my experiments I have learned that for Strats alder is my favorite body wood and I often prefer rosewood over maple fingerboards.

johnfv

Reaction score
ok put the vintage tint on the blue...
So here's the funny thing: that's how I started. That vintage tint neck was on that body for several years. This new clear finish neck was a "screamin deal" at Warmoth: it's my favorite neck profile (59 roundback) and I love every other thing about it. The vintage tint was always too orange and didn't go that well with the blue IMO; it's a "standard thin" profile (not bad but I like the roundback better) so I decided to try a change. I bet I would still prefer the tone of good rosewood neck on this swamp ash body but it seems the treble bleed I had in there was definitely a big part of the thin tone. I'm pretty happy with it for now. So technically I *did* do a swap but it was one maple (thin profile, vintage tint) for another (fat profile, clear finish).

Here is an old "before" pic (has some old pickups in there as well):
NewBlueStrat6small.jpg

Here's some more pics of the current state. I love the 59 roundback necks (have several) and also this body has the contoured heel.
NeckSwap_NewBlueNewMaple.jpg
NeckSwap_NewBlueNewMaple_back.jpg
NeckSwap_NewBlueNewMaple2.jpg
NeckSwap_NewBlueNewMapleSun.jpg
NeckSwap_NewBlueNewMaple_back2.jpg

Last edited:

ricksconnected

Reaction score
yes I love that current pic too. but damn If I don't like that same neck on the darker
body too. that vintage would look great on a red guitar with gold hardware too.

Latest posts