String gauge for guitars with trems

• Thread starter chromeboy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chromeboy

Reaction score
Ok, this may be something that was covered awhile back but I still would like to know what you all think. I only have one guitar with a trem. I usually use 9's and tune in standard tuning but, lately I have been tuning down a half step and want to do so with my trem guitar. I was going to use 10's on it. How much do I have to adjust the spring tension for a thicker gauge?
Your thought are appreciated.

Bull Rock

Reaction score
Not much. I ran my evh stripes down half step and didn't really change. That was a flush mount though, not sure about a float but again prob not much if any. My.02 ¢

Reaction score
Couple of turns on the spring clamp screws will do it if you are staying in the same tuning that it is set up for now.

mirrorman

Reaction score
This is interesting.
I bought my first strat recently and was thinking of changing out the stock 9s with 10s.
Why would you need to adjust the spring tension on the trem with a change of string gauge?

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
The string tension for a set of 9-42 is about 85 lb.
For a set of 10-46 it's about 103 lb (according to the Elixir Strings website).

Those extra 18 lbs of tension pull against the trem springs (stretching them) and raises the bridge slightly whilst throwing out the original intonation too.

You would need to compensate by screwing down the springs a tad.
Followed by checking the intonation and neck relief, as the increased tension can also bow the neck a smidge.

Last edited:

mirrorman

Reaction score
The string tension for a set of 9-42 is about 85 lb.
For a set of 10-46 it's about 103 lb (according to the Elixir strings website).

Those extra 18 lbs of tension pull against the trem springs (stretching them) and raises the bridge slightly whilst throwing out the original intonation too.

You would need to compensate by screwing down the springs a tad.
Followed by checking the relief and intonation.

That makes sense.
Thanks very much!