Things that people don't tell you before you have a kid

• Thread starter What?
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whizzercone

Reaction score
Apparently it's against the law to use them in the supermarket when your little cherub acts up when you refuse to buy that cereal...
That shit never happened to me because my kids knew what would happen if they did...
they would turn out like me and no one wants to be a 60yo jobless loser screaming over Fruity Pebbles at the grocery store.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Literally sitting here at my desk at work nodding off b/c I spent the entire weekend at the ball fields and didn't get home until well after midnight last night.

On a tangent... Kids sports are insane these days. Everyone jokes about participation trophies when in reality youth sports are far more competitive and cut-throat than anything we grew up with.

Whizzercone

Reaction score
Literally sitting here at my desk at work nodding off b/c I spent the entire weekend at the ball fields and didn't get home until well after midnight last night.

On a tangent... Kids sports are insane these days. Everyone jokes about participation trophies when in reality youth sports are far more competitive and cut-throat than anything we grew up with.
It's a bunch of adults forcing their kids to live the adults failed dreams and they will shank you over it in a second.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a bunch of adults forcing their kids to live the adults failed dreams and they will shank you over it in a second.

There's that side of it too, and those kids will burn out or rebel eventually. The worst offender though is the crazy amount of $$$$$ it costs. Your options are $75 for a crappy rec league or thousands for travel, per season.

svinyard

Reaction score
It's and adventure...not a vacation.

kids1.png

kids2.png

What?

Reaction score
@svinyard That's been the gist of it, almost 2 years in. :D

I was always in the no kids for me, thanks, crowd. I guess shit happens, but then you have to flip your mindset to daddy. There definitely is a lot of good stuff in the mix.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I agree, the page has insufficient detail for me to understand how it's supposed to work, what the intended functionality is supposed to be.

Nah, I'm not even into sports, it's just in some kid's blood naturally (inherited from their mom in my case), my oldest not into sports, my 2 youngest were and still are fanatics, it was baseball, basketball, football, 7 days a week all year round for 12 years, driving them somewhere and even overnight out of state all year round. Got easier once they played on the high school teams, they had a bus to take them places. Yeah the travel teams are alot of money but that's what they wanted to do. Enjoy it, it comes and goes fast, looking forward to them getting out of college to see what they do next. :yesway:

Whizzercone

Reaction score
Nah, I'm not even into sports, it's just in some kid's blood naturally (inherited from their mom in my case), my oldest not into sports, my 2 youngest were and still are fanatics, it was baseball, basketball, football, 7 days a week all year round for 12 years, driving them somewhere and even overnight out of state all year round. Got easier once they played on the high school teams, they had a bus to take them places. Yeah the travel teams are alot of money but that's what they wanted to do. Enjoy it, it comes and goes fast, looking forward to them getting out of college to see what they do next. :yesway:
I wasn't speaking of you. I was speaking of the crazies.

nortiks

Reaction score
It just depends on the league. My kid isn't a strong enough player to make a competitive league team so he plays in the recreational league (which is still organized baseball with uniforms on a very nice private field). Most of the parents are pretty cool and cheer any kid they know, no matter what team, when they make a play or get a hit. Heck last year, my kid was even given batting tips by the opposing coach during the game because my kid was on that coach's team the previous year. But from what I hear, the tournament leagues are pretty cut throat and the parents are just crazy.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
It just depends on the league. My kid isn't a strong enough player to make a competitive league team so he plays in the recreational league (which is still organized baseball with uniforms on a very nice private field). Most of the parents are pretty cool and cheer any kid they know, no matter what team, when they make a play or get a hit. Heck last year, my kid was even given batting tips by the opposing coach during the game because my kid was on that coach's team the previous year. But from what I hear, the tournament leagues are pretty cut throat and the parents are just crazy.
The tournament leagues are very competitive, parents are not crazy but committed, parents are into it as much as the kids, you don't just drop your kid off to practice and games and come back later to pick them up, most parents are there for it all. One thing I don't like where I live, travel players are required to play on the rec teams, why I don't know, but you usually have 3 super stars carrying the team and the rest of the kids not getting any action. It's just dumb that they do that. It's really up to the coaches to play fair and not just focus on winning, you got good coaches and bad coaches.