Studio Headphones

• Thread starter Madfinger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lordquilton

Reaction score
Depends on your use, but there's no getting around that headphones in your price range are very inaccurate.
If you're just tracking, go with comfortable ones that sound good to you in your price range.

If you are going to mix tracks in headphones, I would recommend investing in something like Sonarworks Headphone Edition.
At the basic level it's a plugin that has compensating frequency curves for various models of headphones to give them a closer to neutral frequency response. So you would have a better chance of mixing something that sounds good on a range of systems rather than what sounds good through your particular set of headphones.

You can also buy headphones directly from Sonarworks, and they will make a custom calibration profile specifically for your personal set of headphones, for maximum accuracy.
Adds significantly to the price, of course.

I had a quick look at their site, the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro's scored quite well without calibration; calibrated they can even keep up with the more expensive
Sennheiser HD 650's.
Looks like Sweetwater is doing the DT 880's for $229 free delivery right now.
Hell, I'd probably buy them if the Australian Dollar wasn't complete shit.

lespaul339

Reaction score

StratoMarshall

Reaction score
I can vouch for the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro. Open back, very neutral sounding allowing for a pretty good mix. What you hear is what you get.
I've done mixes completely with these cans and then brought up the mix in the near field monitors and was hard pressed to hear the difference!

Madfinger

Reaction score
Looks like the Beyerdynamic come in 32, 80 or 250 ohm versions. Whats the go there?

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Not sure about headphone impedance. I bought the 80's through ignorance, not choice. They sound good to me though.
My interface is a firewire Saffire Pro 24 by Focusrite. I assume it would work with higher impedance cans?

Dmann

Reaction score
Beyer Dynamic DT pro 770/880/990 are the best in the low price range IMHO
I spent a good hour over 3 visit's to a Long & McQuade where they had about 30 sets on their "Try" carousel, my preference ended up being the DT PRO 990's openback 250 Ohm.

Madfinger

Reaction score
Sort of narrowed it down in my budget & basic requirements to Beyer DT770 & Focusrite 2i2 which I've been quoted $600aus as a bundle package saving $60. Thinking this may be ok for my introduction into Pro Tools.

krunchy

Reaction score
I use Sennheiser HD 380’s, very happy with them and they are a good bang for the buck.

groovenev

Reaction score
Headphones are so subjective, however comfort is important and the availability of replacement ear pads and wires, My all time fav' was a pair of AKG K130s made in Austria from the 80's however you will never find them in good condition anymore and they were discontinued. I have to go with the AKG K240, you can get new pads and wires and they are comfortable and have even freq. response. The Sony MDR 7506 is a good all round choice as well.. if you need them for tracking vocals you should probably consider something that is isolation type so you don't get music bleed when recording they get $$$ ...
IMG_3914.JPG IMG_3913.JPG

Latest posts