• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Suggestions about non-working Marshall 6100 LM

• Thread starter dstine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dstine

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Marshall 6100 LM (with black tolex) that has a fried power tube socket and may have other issues as well. Before the socket went, it had a couple of fuses that kept blowing as well. Would this be worth having it repaired? I called a few local shops, and none of them in my area have had any experience with the 6100s and only one said that they'd be willing to look at it. I've read that they can be not-so-reliable and they can be a bit complex to work on.

I actually sold my cabinet and got a Class 5 that I've modded along with a Vox AC30 for some clean tones. The Class 5 still doesn't sound as good as I'd like it to even after the component swaps that I made. I've been thinking about trying to sell everything and go back to a nice Marshall 1/2 stack since crystal clear cleans aren't necessary to me. Would it be a better idea to have the head repaired or just try to get rid of it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Marshall 6100 LM (with black tolex) that has a fried power tube socket and may have other issues as well. Before the socket went, it had a couple of fuses that kept blowing as well. Would this be worth having it repaired? I called a few local shops, and none of them in my area have had any experience with the 6100s and only one said that they'd be willing to look at it. I've read that they can be not-so-reliable and they can be a bit complex to work on.

I actually sold my cabinet and got a Class 5 that I've modded along with a Vox AC30 for some clean tones. The Class 5 still doesn't sound as good as I'd like it to even after the component swaps that I made. I've been thinking about trying to sell everything and go back to a nice Marshall 1/2 stack since crystal clear cleans aren't necessary to me. Would it be a better idea to have the head repaired or just try to get rid of it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

The 6100s are wonderful amps. I think most shops are intimidated by them due to their digital circuitry (which most shops won't touch with a 10' pole) but we don't let that scare us. ;)

That being said, I do 6100s and my rates are very reasonable. Shoot me a PM and we can set something up.

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
The MIDI board itself couldn't be point to point since the microcontroller and IC pins are spaced 0.100" apart and you can't get that close of a spacing on the turrets.

However, there's nothing that says the audio circuitry couldn't be point to point BUT...with the high parts count of the 6100 I don't see all of those components fitting on a reasonably sized turret board.

CAPDUNN

Reaction score
Wilder, I am in San Diego. I have a 6100LM and love it and want to have it converted to el34's and gone through as it is 18 years old. I gig a lot and would like to know an estimate of the turn around time for a recap, retube freshening up.
Thanks,
Cap