Suggestions on Playing Lead guitar

• Thread starter Marshall Stack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest eye opener for me is when I use less gain when I attempt to speed picking, I felt naked and exposed... I tend to dig harder on the strings to make it ring louder and then mistakes becomes very obvious..... I am more exposed with my guitar playing when using my Marshall clone than with my Mesa Mark IV...

i have terrible picking technique, and its in part due to the fact (i think) i never learned the right way from the beginning. in other words, like you describe; playing with an unforgiving amplifier/tone. it does force you to dig in harder to make it bark, and then things can spiral out of control from there hahahahahaa....

aaaaaaaaand partly cuz ive gotten old and lazy and slow.

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
:D EXACTLY. That's why it took me 40 Years to get the Lead Solo from Cinnamon Girl down note for note....

:shred::shred: TWIN

Sympathies and respect Twin.
I know Neil Young is hard to imitate.
Seems to me that's a one-off 'listen and learn' situation.

I mean, we might know a lot about what modes and scales are typically used in various genres, but that's not a quick way into the heart of a song or solo from Neil Young,

Thinking now about Cortez the Killer, Powderfinger: easy enough chords, easy enough to solo along with,
HARD to reproduce the real Neil feel.

Meanwhile, have to ask you...
How about the vocal harmonies in Cinnamon Girl?
Sometimes I think that our band, not having any roots in old folk music, will never equal that.

Still, given that we have numerous singers here, I sometimes feel we have a kind of duty to aspire to cunning harmonies.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am embarrassed to say that I have been playing guitar for 35 years and still suck at playing lead guitar. I have been in a cover band and played a little lead guitar but I was just memorizing the leads that I figured out, got from sheet music or tab sheets. If someone had asked me to improvise, I would have wet myself.

well grab the Dependz.:lol:
I threw this together for you real quick earlier this morning.
have fun with it.
[SC]http://soundcloud.com/rlc-ltd/riff-jam-backing-track[/SC]

Latest posts