Sully guitars

• Thread starter hellride
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BobPeabody67

Reaction score
:wave: Thanks!

Kinda; it's profile was originally taken from a tracing of Robbin Crosby's catfish graphic'ed Jackson Firebird. The silhouette is different from the Gibson Firebird, and some of the dimensions are different as well to prevent neck dive. Here are a couple of others:

6413097755_59874ee465_o.jpg

12603405884_07e08e21e9_o.jpg

Thanks! The knob placement is something that I'd change on that particular guitar, but that was where my customer wanted them. However, I don't put them where Gibson does. Glad you picked up on the nod to BCR; my first good electric guitar was an '83 NJ Warlock with their original 6 in line headstock. I wanted to pay homage without ripping anyone off.

Black can be done, but you kinda need the pickguard if you go with a set neck construction on these. Granted, a thin veneer could cover the top after the neck has been set.... :)

Sully

Better yet!:lol: When I'm playing "guitarist" I use Jackson's, but when I'm playing "bass player", I'm using Thunderbirds. So really, these are the best of both worlds.:lol: Never have been a big Robbin Crosby fan, but I always loved his Jackson Firebirds, and Michael Sweet's Jackson Firebird.:lol:

Three questions though... It looks like real Ebony fretboard, correct?:hmm::lol: And also, would it be possible, to duplicate an existing neck shape, fretboard radius, etc?:hmm::lol: My main guitar is a ’87 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist with neck through construction. IMO, it's got the best neck EVER.:lol: So if the price was right, would you be able to duplicate that neck onto a Raven?:hmm::lol:

Also... How's 27 frets sound?:hmm::lol:

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
welcome aboard Sully. I particularly liked this vid in your YT series.
muffins & beer.:yesway::yesway:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5qV5zOXMbc"]Sully's Guitar Garage - Paint booth - YouTube[/ame]

SullyGuitars

Reaction score
Better yet!:lol: When I'm playing "guitarist" I use Jackson's, but when I'm playing "bass player", I'm using Thunderbirds. So really, these are the best of both worlds.:lol: Never have been a big Robbin Crosby fan, but I always loved his Jackson Firebirds, and Michael Sweet's Jackson Firebird.:lol:

Three questions though... It looks like real Ebony fretboard, correct?:hmm::lol: And also, would it be possible, to duplicate an existing neck shape, fretboard radius, etc?:hmm::lol: My main guitar is a ’87 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist with neck through construction. IMO, it's got the best neck EVER.:lol: So if the price was right, would you be able to duplicate that neck onto a Raven?:hmm::lol:

Also... How's 27 frets sound?:hmm::lol:

1. Yes, ebony.
2. Kinda; it depends on how good of a job you do getting me accurate backshape contours and thicknesses at various places on the neck. I can say that most of my backshapes are Jacksonish; they're my main influence.
3. Sounds like three frets too many! :) In all seriousness, I guess it can be done, but it's going to really change the overall look and balance of the guitar; I don't even recommend 24 frets on that particular body style.

Sully

hellride

Reaction score
Yo, Sully! Ever considered a Raven bass? 5-string, 35" scale and so on..

SullyGuitars

Reaction score
Yo, Sully! Ever considered a Raven bass? 5-string, 35" scale and so on..

Raven basses have been in my mind for a few years, but it's admittedly been on the backburner. If someone orders one, obviously, that'd change things a bit. Admittedly, a 4 string would be more likely to happen first.

Sully