• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Survey On Amp Modelling

George Burton

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Im doing a dissertation on Amp Modelling, therefore I have created a questionnaire/listening test. If you guys could spend a few minutes of your time completing it you will be helping me out massively. Also, make sure you read the instructions before completing the test as there are audio files you need to download to use whilst doing the test. (this is not a virus by the way)

Survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/ZCRRZWJ

Cheers guys.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Just a note...

I downloaded the folder. I read question 1 & 2, seems like the whole test is check the track #'s that you think are digital modeling from each folder.

From what I listened to (folder 1), the recordings are all over the place. Different volumes, some heavily processed. It makes it hard to tell, when you have 90% chorus saturation on a track, if it's modelling, or direct plugged in w/ chorus. Besides, what's the difference between plugging direct clean, into a digital recorder & modelling a clean guitar tone (digitally recorded) then heavily processing it.

Seems like you're asking a lot of people to do this survey. For me, opening the zip, requires me to unzip each file as I play it, & every time, has to independently open the sound player. Will probably take over an hour of going back & forth, just to hear your recorded clips of heavily processed tracks of various volumes, lengths, different riffs in every track, etc...

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
ok, ok, I wanna know which amp manufacture is asking us to help with their R/D now?
Don't get me wrong: i'll do the "survey", but I gotts ta get paid, son!

Len

Reaction score
Most of the samples in the poll sounded bad to me. I'm not sure what the OP will get from the results.

rick16v

Reaction score
It's an American term of derision. Potentially derived from the French word douche, which means shower, or to rinse.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
from the rulebook:

5. We don't allow discussion or promotion of other topically-related online forums, blogs or groups. In other words, the use of the MF forums to obtain free advertising or to promote other websites is not acceptable. Neither is the soliciting or recruiting of our members for other websites or mailing lists permitted.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Line Six is about as good as you are going to get out of a modeling amp.
But adding a bunch of effects is not going to be a fair way to judge it...

That's the funniest thing I've read in a while hahaha......

The Helix is actually really, really good, but you have to put a bit of time into finding the great sounds. Kemper and Fractal have dominated the high-end digital market for the last few years, but I think the Helix is going to give them some good competition.

Dmann

Reaction score
The Helix is actually really, really good, but you have to put a bit of time into finding the great sounds. Kemper and Fractal have dominated the high-end digital market for the last few years, but I think the Helix is going to give them some good competition.

With the Helix, Line6 definately stepped up thier game. It's got a ton of great features and lots of usability options, with a decent price point, however for me it still doesn't sound authentic in person or recorded direct.

:shrug:

Frodebro

Reaction score
With the Helix, Line6 definately stepped up thier game. It's got a ton of great features and lots of usability options, with a decent price point, however for me it still doesn't sound authentic in person or recorded direct.

:shrug:

The secret lies in using IRs instead of the stock cabs, which are algorithm-based. I'm getting sounds out of the Helix that are pretty close to what my Kemper delivers. Not 100% there, but definitely close enough for rock & roll.

Latest posts