Suspicious 4x12 on ebay

• Thread starter wakjob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainZero

Reaction score
People are stupid, and have no idea how to market. I wonder if that first cab could have just been sitting in one place for years with a mic up to the cloth, and the sun faded it like that? Looks like something spilled all over the right side of it too.

mott555

Reaction score
I wonder if that first cab could have just been sitting in one place for years with a mic up to the cloth, and the sun faded it like that?
Yeah, it looks like it's the grill cloth that's discolored, not the speaker.

The pictures on the second cab are horrible. From what I can see it actually looks a lot like an MG412 cab. (Other than the pic of the label.)

Ugly Duckling

Reaction score
I think the first cab has a stain on the grill cloth because it stays in the same place even when photographed from the side.

The second cabs looks alright to me but it is a bit strange to not include a straight on photo.

metromutt

Reaction score
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

soundboy57

Reaction score
Yep, it's just a spot on the grill, and a moot point anyway...the speakers
are all reissues, not original greenbacks

george76

Reaction score
overpriced for what it is.

why do people bother fitting the wrong logo and stretching them across like that? it looks awful. either fit the right one, or go without.

stains at the bottom right are probably cat or dog pee. nice. my cat used to do it to mine. fairly common to see on basketweaves. i think cats must be attracted to the material.

the pale circular stain is probably where someone has tried to clean the brown off lol. also not that unusual.

Ken

Reaction score
Beat unloaded 1982 cabs aren't worth anything to collectors if they're not 1970's, and even then the one with the reissue speakers I would think is well under $1000 value. Some people are really dreaming.

Ken

guitarmike

Reaction score
Unloaded Marshall cabs from the 1980's and up are worth $50-$75 if you can find a buyer (I know they should be worth more). There just is no value. I am making mancave shelves out of the 2 empty ones I have.

Lyv2Ryd

Reaction score
Unloaded Marshall cabs from the 1980's and up are worth $50-$75 if you can find a buyer (I know they should be worth more). There just is no value. I am making mancave shelves out of the 2 empty ones I have.

That's BS, they ARE worth more !! A Marshall 412 cab, made of real plywood has at least a $250-$350 value unloaded depending on condition. Its people selling them that low in a pinch, that's screwing up the market. Stop letting them go for so little and the price comes up. You gotta base the price on what it cost to build one and work from there. Besides a 25-30 year old plywood cab is super desirable to those who know and want the old, played through wood.

Ghostman

Reaction score
The unloaded cabs are usually around $100 where I'm at. That's all I'd pay for it. Why buy an unloaded 1960 cab for $250-$350 when I can get a LOADED cab for $450????

Do the math. Buy four Celestions and you're into them for about $250 on the low side. Then buy an unloaded, used cab for $250 on the low side, you're at $500. Why not buy a new one online for $499 plus shipping?

We buy used because it's cheaper.

RG31

Reaction score
That's BS, they ARE worth more !! A Marshall 412 cab, made of real plywood has at least a $250-$350 value unloaded depending on condition. Its people selling them that low in a pinch, that's screwing up the market. Stop letting them go for so little and the price comes up. You gotta base the price on what it cost to build one and work from there. Besides a 25-30 year old plywood cab is super desirable to those who know and want the old, played through wood.

I know what you are saying, but today they are worth what the market can bear.

I picked up a '80s A cab with Vintage 30's for $400.00. The seller had it on CL starting at $700.00. He kept going down $50.00 every two weeks.

george76

Reaction score
Stop letting them go for so little

+1

Marshall cabs were made to a much better standard in the old days, right into the JCM800 period. Made from good strong plywood and pine. Compare with the lightweight cabs they make thesedays from cheap grade plywood and chipboard.

There is a demand for vintage cabs, but not everyone is an expert. Some people know how much better they are, some people dont.

Lyv2Ryd

Reaction score
Yeah, I hear you guys, real value and market value are way different. But... they are not worth less, guys are letting em go for less which sends out a perception of being worth less. This was why the banks got in so much trouble a few years back. The economy was good, you could name your price if you were selling your home. There were bidding wars. This raised home prices and the banks loaned out money based on false inflated home values. Then, the economy crashed and homeowners found themselves owing more than their house was worth. My point is, value must remain steady and not vary with the economy. If we let Marshall products devalue, we lose the investment we worked so hard for. I don't care if you can't afford one now, work a little longer to earn the money to buy your Marshall. I am not in the group who thinks they should be affordable to everyone or taken advantage of in a downed economy, they are and should be a cut above the rest and price should reflect that. And that's all I got to say about that:D

Ken

Reaction score
That's BS, they ARE worth more !! A Marshall 412 cab, made of real plywood has at least a $250-$350 value unloaded depending on condition. .

This is completely wrong, unless you live in Canada or in the Styx. All 1960's are made of "real plywood" and unless you have a pre 1980 cabinet, they are worth between nothing and $200 TOPS for an excellent condition cabinet...and getting $200 would be impressive.

You've never tried to sell an empty I take it. If you ever want to buy one I'll sell you an unloaded mint 412 cab for $350 and laugh all the way to the strip club.

Ken

Lyv2Ryd

Reaction score
This is completely wrong, unless you live in Canada or in the Styx. All 1960's are made of "real plywood" and unless you have a pre 1980 cabinet, they are worth between nothing and $200 TOPS for an excellent condition cabinet...and getting $200 would be impressive.

You've never tried to sell an empty I take it. If you ever want to buy one I'll sell you an unloaded mint 412 cab for $350 and laugh all the way to the strip club.

Ken

Whatever man, as I said worth and market value 2 different things. Mine are worth $300 a piece to me and I aint sellin'

Ken

Reaction score
Whatever man, as I said worth and market value 2 different things. Mine are worth $300 a piece to me and I aint sellin'

I understand value to you; you could offer me twice what my 1982 cabinets are "worth" but I wouldn't sell them either. But that's not the real value of them in the marketplace.

Market value has no sentimentality attached, or it's NOT 'market value'. I think a DSL "should" sell for the same as an 800 as they're equally good, but in reality the market price is only $500.

No regular unloaded 1960 cabinet after 1980 is worth $350 and the market won't bare that. That's just the way it is, no matter how attached you may be to your particular cabinets, which is why I took issue with your post that they were.

Ken

damienbeale

Reaction score
Here in the uk, you pop an 80's unloaded cab on ebay and you'll rarely ever hit £100. Sad fact is the speakers are worth the majority of the value. Even late 70's cabs go for not that much and it is often possible to buy a cab, sell the speakers, junk the shell and still make a tidy profit.

Latest posts