• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Sv20 212 cab

• Thread starter G the wildman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G the wildman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My SV20 head and matching cab is my my first head and cab. Previous kit being combos. I made the change so that if I bought another head I could simply use the existing cab.

But the sv20 cab which is great for the sv20 is reported to contain a cheap speaker. Does this mean it will only sound good with the sv20?

I know it is subjective but generally.

For example when I had a dsl40 I changed the speaker to a creamback. And yes it was smoother but hardley.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My SV20 head and matching cab is my my first head and cab. Previous kit being combos. I made the change so that if I bought another head I could simply use the existing cab.

But the sv20 cab which is great for the sv20 is reported to contain a cheap speaker. Does this mean it will only sound good with the sv20?

I know it is subjective but generally.

For example when I had a dsl40 I changed the speaker to a creamback. And yes it was smoother but hardley.
Break in the speaker, I heard its really good once broken in, I have not heard its a cheap speaker its just one of the latest offerings by Celestion, its a V-Type I believe.

Tiboy

Reaction score
I also have the SV20 and matching 212 cab. I recently acquired a Suhr PT15 amp. The PT sounds fine through the SV cab.

ray101!

Reaction score
While I wouldn't call the speakers in the SV cabs cheap but they're not what you'd expect from a cab of that price range as other brands are putting either Vintage 30s or Greenbacks in their cabs around that price. I believe the V-type Celestion is a more affordable version of the Vintage 30, at least that was what all the reviews were saying when they came out a few years back. You got to remember that you're also buying that Marshall name when buying from Marshall. Anyway I would break in those speakers and see how you like them first and if you still want to change them that's when you should but not until you know for sure if you like them or not plus I'm quite certain if you like them you'll like them with other heads as well but as you said it's all subjective.

P.S. Warehouse Guitar Speakers Invader 50s are absolutely great speakers IMO for Marshall amps.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the SV212 cab, and both the sc20 and sv20 heads.
It took some hours before the V-type in the Cab open up, I would say it is between the Greenback and V30 Speakers.

But it sounds great with any amp I have tried so far.

Laney L20T-112C, JTM1, SC20H and SV20H

Freddy78

Reaction score
i have tried some speaker combinations with the SV20 in a 2x12 cab and 2x10 cab

80's T75 - are bright but not over bright mainly for overdriven sounds with hot PU / dark guitars ( PS i have them for sell if someone is interested )
V30 - nicer option but again its more for high gain sound / metal think about 80's tone rather than classic rock/blues
10'' celestion vintage - well nothing special , they are nice and clear but not my first choice
G12-35xc - to me it matches the SV20 the best , full warm sound it can deliver great overdriven classic rock tone , i would consider it as blend of GB and V30.

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
Yes the V-type isa cheap speaker. But just as Chinese Greenbacks are well liked so are the V-type. Is you like it, I wouldn’t run out and buy others. I have a room full of new and vintage celestions and I don’t hate the V-type.

But I agree for such a high $$ cabinet, there should have been nicer speakers.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to rewire an SV212 to change impedence from 8 to 16 ohms?
No way to wire two 16 ohm speakers to get 16 ohms.
Either 8 ohms parallel or 32 ohms series.
Or replace the speakers with two 8 ohm in series.
Why, what are you trying to hook this cab up to?

idw357

Reaction score
I have an 8 ohm speaker output jack on my Ori50H, and I wanted to attach another 8 ohm speaker to it. But it looks like the only way I can get two cabs off this head is if both cabs are 16 ohm. Ill have to use one of my other amps for this situation.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 8 ohm speaker output jack on my Ori50H, and I wanted to attach another 8 ohm speaker to it. But it looks like the only way I can get two cabs off this head is if both cabs are 16 ohm. Ill have to use one of my other amps for this situation.
You could combine 2 ~ 8 ohm cabs in series into the 16 ohm jack with a Palmer Cab Merger box.
7263147_800.jpg

You could also make one of these out of a few jacks in a box, or make a serial cable that does the same thing.
But the Palmer is plug and play.

idw357

Reaction score
Whoa! Will definitely check this out. Will use the FX-Out to my Frontman for the monitor application. But this baby would be perfect for adding a larger 8 ohm speaker out front. Thank you! This forum is seriously the most informative community I have ever seen.

junk notes

Reaction score
It’s well known that when Marshall were developing this cab, they blind tested lots of Celestion speakers, and the V-type overwhelmingly got the vote.

I love how they sound and won’t be changing them.
That is why they offer a 1x12 extension cab :drunk: ha!

(edit: I would say out of the Studio Series, that Marshall got the Mini Jubilee 2525c with 2512 Extension cab, right ;-)

Last edited:

idw357

Reaction score
You could combine 2 ~ 8 ohm cabs in series into the 16 ohm jack with a Palmer Cab Merger box.
7263147_800.jpg

You could also make one of these out of a few jacks in a box, or make a serial cable that does the same thing.

Last edited:

Seven

Reaction score
I have the SV212 vertical due for delivery tomorrow so I will soon find out. I've run the SV20H thru all sorts of cabs and speakers I have on hand, including GB's and will hold off making any conclusions.

In the past, I've had a love/hate with 2X12 open back combos which caused me to return to using 4X12 cabs and heads.

For what it's worth, I experimented with an open back 1X12 Crate Voodoo combo that I removed the amp from and it sounded awesome !

I have no idea what this speaker is but I will keep this for when I start recording again.0328211022_Film2.jpg 0328211023_Film2.jpg

idw357

Reaction score
7263147_800.jpg

fitz288, I got a Cab Link, does the same thing as the Palmer device, but it has a line out feature... Thanks so much for the advice. Definitely got what I needed.

Seven

Reaction score
The SV212 vertical arrived, but I only have about one hour with it and most of that was eq-ing with single notes, power chords and some familiar riffs. This was 100% direct, no effects.

This is also my first closed back 2X12 and my first time with V Types.

I'm happy to say the SV212 and SV20H is my best sounding rig, so far any way. The V Type is slightly brite (IMO) but not ice picky. It does have that 70's rock crunch, but has just enough chime to sound pleasant when letting up on the picking hand or turning down the guitar volume down to around 7 or less.

The V Types might break-up a little too fast for my ears, but I seemed to adjust relatively fast to the new sound. I also played both a Strat and Les Paul and it sounded great with both. The Strat required slightly less treble and presence which is to be expected. The Les Paul, less base. One hour of fun goes fast. Work, not so much.

Yes, I cranked the amp on high power toward the end.

Yes, it was gloriously loud....:shred:

The cabinet itself is attractive, but for the price, Marshall could have installed corner guards and footwells for the head. Corner guards are a must if I was ever to gig with it.

I do have to keep in mind these are marketed as "studio" and not flight case standard cabinets or approved by those burly amp lifting road dogs.

Like most of us on here, I was looking for THAT TONE in my head and I think I found it. It's a down sized Plexi half stack of sorts.

Once the honeymoon romp is over, I may change my mind, but my early guess is she's a keeper.

I have pics but the MF'rs keep saying the file is too big.:shrug: