SV20H Effects Loop… WTF?

• Thread starter Kendall124
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
No comparison in tone and feel.
A 100 watt DSL compared to a 20 watt SV

I plug my DI from my 20 watt Jubilee into a 100 watt tube power house amp to get good balls out of it.
Take 2 4x12 cabs to get there.

Plug your SV into the DSL clean channel and GOOOOOOO!

Frodebro

Reaction score
No comparison in tone and feel.
A 100 watt DSL compared to a 20 watt SV

I plug my DI from my 20 watt Jubilee into a 100 watt tube power house amp to get good balls out of it.
Take 2 4x12 cabs to get there.

Plug your SV into the DSL clean channel and GOOOOOOO!

You can get close enough with the DSL that the SV20 just adds extra hassle with little benefit in that configuration.

svinyard

Reaction score
I've only got the DSL40 (not 100) and SV20h but nothing on it comes anywhere near Plexi territory. The DSL has a lot of tricks and is versatile (love the 6-FS) but Plexi is definitely not one of them.
You can get close enough with the DSL that the SV20 just adds extra hassle with little benefit in that configuration.

Frodebro

Reaction score
I've only got the DSL40 (not 100) and SV20h but nothing on it comes anywhere near Plexi territory. The DSL has a lot of tricks and is versatile (love the 6-FS) but Plexi is definitely not one of them.

The Plexi is indeed its own thing to a great extent, so I guess it just comes down to how far you are willing to go to get that sound at the volume you need it at. I guess I’m lucky that I don’t have to worry about the volume thing, because that’s also where things get bigger and heavier.

cehuff3

Reaction score
For a solo boost, sounds like you either need to ride the guitar volume, ie: rolled back for rhythm, up full for solo. Or, you could use a clean boost in your loop ‘in reverse’. You set the boost level lower than the actual volume & use the boost (actually a reduction in volume) while playing rhythm, then turn it off to for solo’s, returning the volume to normal.

As for me, I ride the guitar volume, but I’ve heard good results a lot players that use the clean boost in reverse ‘trick’ with NMV amps and amps with a PPIMV.

As others are in this thread are saying, with the power tubes breaking up, there’s no more volume to give, only more gain & compression.

Good luck!

svinyard

Reaction score
For a solo boost, sounds like you either need to ride the guitar volume, ie: rolled back for rhythm, up full for solo. Or, you could use a clean boost in your loop ‘in reverse’. You set the boost level lower than the actual volume & use the boost (actually a reduction in volume) while playing rhythm, then turn it off to for solo’s, returning the volume to normal.

As for me, I ride the guitar volume, but I’ve heard good results a lot players that use the clean boost in reverse ‘trick’ with NMV amps and amps with a PPIMV.

As others are in this thread are saying, with the power tubes breaking up, there’s no more volume to give, only more gain & compression.

Good luck!
Does riding the Guitar volume actually work well tho? I've not measured the dB change from going from 5 to 10 on the guitar.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
Does riding the Guitar volume actually work well tho? I've not measured the dB change from going from 5 to 10 on the guitar.
Through a distorted guitar amp , rolling back the guitar volume changes the gain level, not so much the volume.

Through a clean amp the guitar volume works well.

Kendall124

Reaction score
If only my drummer had a volume knob. It’s OK, he’s a beast. Heavy hitter, great metronome.