• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Swapped Speakers In My 2x12 Cab

• Thread starter Torren61
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Torren61

Reaction score
I have a De Lisle 15P head and matching 2x12 cabinet. The 15P has two EL-84s, an EF-86 and a 12AX7. Years ago, I bought a couple of Celestion Greenbacks for the cab and it sounded okay but I wanted to go another route so I bought another Celestion Alnico Blue to go with the one I already have.

I swapped out the Greenbacks with the Alnico Blues and it really sounds better to my ears. Both speakers are 16 Ohm and I had De Lisle put in a toggle switch and two output jacks so in one position, it's both speakers paralleled and you can be plugged into either output jack which makes the cab an 8 Ohm load. If you switch the toggle to the other position, you go into a single speaker mode. Whatever jack you're plugged into is the only speaker that's activated and that makes it a 16 Ohm load.

I wanted that because I was thinking of using two different types of speakers and I thought it would give me a choice of voicings but in the end I just decided to use two of the same type of speakers.

Here's what I removed. Turns out I had a G12H and a G12M in there. D'oh!

E7A71508-6CB7-4D9F-9332-E7A06F9A06FF_1_105_c.jpeg

Here's what I put in. There's the toggle and two output jacks.

64EBA682-ABE5-466B-AD84-703FE1314364_1_105_c.jpeg

Here's the cab:

135EFFD8-3E14-49FA-B705-1B04CF0D210E_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to do that to my AC30 that came stock with Greenbacks. I ran a speaker cable from the Vox to a 2x12 I have that’s loaded with an alnico gold and a v30. The amp sounds louder and has more sparkle with the alnico. The Greenbacks sound fine but seem a little flat compared to the gold and v30. Right now the blues seem to be sold out world wide. I also need to justify the $600 price tag as I don’t play the AC30 that often. I’ll be honest, I’m not sure why so many people rave about Greenbacks.

Torren61

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to do that to my AC30 that came stock with Greenbacks. I ran a speaker cable from the Vox to a 2x12 I have that’s loaded with an alnico gold and a v30. The amp sounds louder and has more sparkle with the alnico. The Greenbacks sound fine but seem a little flat compared to the gold and v30. Right now the blues seem to be sold out world wide. I also need to justify the $600 price tag as I don’t play the AC30 that often. I’ll be honest, I’m not sure why so many people rave about Greenbacks.
Here's a used one for less. If you wait and snipe them as they come available, you can get them for less. Make sure you're getting a pair of 16 Ohm so you can parallel them for 8 Ohms or a pair of 8 Ohm ones to series them for 16 Ohms. You can hardly go wrong with an 8 Ohm cabinet.

https://Reverb(dot)com/item/5785115...2-inch-guitar-speaker-15-watts-8-ohm-u-k-made

Oh, and shoot them an offer with a message. This one usually works well for me: "Hello. I'm pushing my budget so I hope you can accept my offer." That works for me about 90% of the time.

Damn, now everyone's going to do it...

Latest posts