• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Broken solder pad - suggestions?

• Thread starter psychic_fuzz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

psychic_fuzz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my one worst nightmares happened while working on my JMP 2204…I lost a little bit of solder pad

In an attempt to eliminate the amount of time/heat I put on the board I tried using one of those electronic solder suckers. It did it’s job, but was just too much. Never again! (the rest of the amp is fine btw)

What’s the best step forward?

(Warning graphic images 🙈)

D1D0A954-357D-43EF-8126-8E3D45CCB1EB.jpeg

Last edited:

stratfordade

Reaction score
Doesn’t look too bad. You’d probably succeed attempting to solder to what’s left, or just make that connection on the topside to any convenient leg of the other two components wired to that land on the board.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Solder suckers are SAFER for the pads than using solder wick. But if you heat up any pad long enough, its adhesive bond to the board WILL fail.

Sometimes you can superglue the lifted pad down. It'll stink when you solder it but if you're quick it'll hold. Otherwise just use fine wire strands to bridge and rebuild the damage.

psychic_fuzz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
use fine wire strands to bridge and rebuild the damage.

Thanks for the input. Can you elaborate a little a bit more on this? I’ve never used this method. Thanks!

I was also thinking of using some adhesive copper tape and cutting a small piece to fill in the missing part of the pad

Last edited: