"Sweetwater exclusive" Sugarbucker?

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score

...for $10 more you can get them in gold. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...etwater-exclusive-sugarbucker-pickup-set-gold

"Dreamed up by Sweetwater and designed by Gibson, Sugarbuckers mark Sweetwater’s grand entrance into the world of signature guitar pickups! A wholly unique reimagining of the mighty PAF pickup, these honeyed humbuckers were designed in collaboration with Gibson’s pickup-winding wizard, Jared Brandon. So, what sets these apart from the pickup pack? Sugarbuckers forgo pure period-correct specs to offer modern players and vintage die-hards alike a “sweeter” spin on classic humbucking sonics. Built upon the foundation of Alnico IV magnets (found on only one other Gibson PAF-style pickup since the 1960s) and wax-potted construction, the Sugarbucker’s distinctive set of Sweetwater specs work in perfect harmony to merge legendary PAF clarity and complexity with modern, microphonic-free performance. Furthermore, these pickups boast a more formidable wind than standard PAFs, which ideally complements the naturally lower-output voice of Alnico IV — you get all the complexity and dynamic range of a low-output pickup with the punch and authority with a medium-output pickup. It all equates to what we’re proud to call our ideal PAF-style humbucker — and you can only get it at Sweetwater!"

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Built upon the foundation of Alnico IV magnets (found on only one other Gibson PAF-style pickup since the 1960s) and wax-potted construction, the Sugarbucker’s distinctive set of Sweetwater specs work in perfect harmony to merge legendary PAF clarity and complexity with modern, microphonic-free performance. Furthermore, these pickups boast a more formidable wind than standard PAFs, which ideally complements the naturally lower-output voice of Alnico IV — you get all the complexity and dynamic range of a low-output pickup with the punch and authority with a medium-output pickup.
Potted, overwound, A4 mags.
Actually sounds interesting to me, but my interest faded quickly at 4 Franklin's for the set.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I've never paid more than 200 dollars for a set of Seymour Duncans. I guess I just don't get the boutique pickup market.

EndGame00

Reaction score
I have a set of Alnico IV Duncan SNS...I haven't really gotten into to the overall tone of the Alnico IV, especially on the neck.. it sounded "choked"...

tallcoolone

Reaction score
They just created a masterpiece with the Custombuckers, if I were going to drop big coin on Gibby HBs it would be those. Potted and overwound = mud to me