Switch 6100 channel with Helix?

PaddyT05

Reaction score
So I use my Helix LT with my blue 30th anniversary 6100 head (awesome rig).

Instead of tap dancing to switch amp channel and snapshot on the Helix, I wanted to do both at once. So I bought a TRS cable to connect the Helix to the footswitch in on the back of my head, only to find that the port in on the head is some sort of MIDI in with 6 little holes.

Anyone know if and where I can find a cable that is TRS to this footswitch-in type?

Cheers.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
just checked, it does...

The 6100 footswitch jack, is proprietary. Use the midi on the amp, & the Helix...

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Instead of tap dancing to switch amp channel and snapshot on the Helix, I wanted to do both at once. So I bought a TRS cable to connect the Helix to the footswitch in on the back of my head, only to find that the port in on the head is some sort of MIDI in with 6 little holes.

Anyone know if and where I can find a cable that is TRS to this footswitch-in type?

Cheers.
:welcome:to the forum.
The 6100 (6101) will only receive a MIDI channel select command.
Each preset on your sending device needs to send the channel you want to use.
You can only switch the 3 main channels, not the channel modes.

Edit: you will need a dedicated cable that goes from the send device to the amp MIDI in jack next to the footswitch jack.

Last edited:

PaddyT05

Reaction score
P
:welcome:to the forum.
The 6100 (6101) will only receive a MIDI channel select command.
Each preset on your sending device needs to send the channel you want to use.
You can only switch the 3 main channels, not the channel modes.

Edit: you will need a dedicated cable that goes from the send device to the amp MIDI in jack next to the footswitch jack.
Thank you for your welcome! And brilliant, I’ll have to look at ordering a TRS to 5 pin MIDI cable. Connecting the EXP AMP port of the Helix to the ‘MIDI-in’ port that is next to the footswitch port should do it.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
P

Thank you for your welcome! And brilliant, I’ll have to look at ordering a TRS to 5 pin MIDI cable. Connecting the EXP AMP port of the Helix to the ‘MIDI-in’ port that is next to the footswitch port should do it.
I know nothing about the Helix and its MIDI output options, but I used to run a Boss GT-8 on my 6101 for channel switching and EQ/TBE in the loop. Never did the 4CM for front end amp sims. Regular TS cables to loop send/return and a MIDI-to-MIDI cable for the channel commands. I can't remember the send codes, but the amp has only basic MIDI functions - welcome back to 1993 tech...

Terrence Healy

Reaction score

Cheers.
I beleive the Midi channels are 10 15 and 20, my amp tech spent days manually figuring out what they were. THat is a good question for Marhsall to anwer. when changing the amp channels, OMG took for ever to figure out.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
MIDI switching directions from the manual.
1659976151975.png