Test #2: JCM 900 DR vs 1959SLP (Recording clips)

• Thread starter maxime1122
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which amp do you prefer?

• Marshall JCM 900 DR

Votes: 28 50.9%
  • Marshall 1959SLP

Votes: 27 49.1%

• Total voters

maxime1122

Reaction score
Here is another comparison, but this time between a JCM 900 and the 1959SLP. I think that the JCM 900 might suprise you!

Marshall JCM 900 DR 100 watts EL34s

This is a recording clip of a JCM 900 DR 100 watts with EL34s into 1960AV (Vintage 30).

I played on the clean channel with gain at 10 and the volume at 10 (full blast). I used a Fender Stratocaster Standard with TS and Fender mid-boost.

JCM 900 DR - Audio clip (this is the link)

Marshall 1959SLP (Reissue)

This is a recording clip of my 1959SLP into 1960AV (Vintage 30).

The channels were jumped (high treble > low input going into normal > high input). The high treble channel's volume was set at 10 and the normal channel's volume was set at 6. I played with a Fender Stratocaster Standard with TS and Fender mid-boost.

1959SLP - Audio clip (this is the link)

Please vote!

I did those two clip with the exact same setup. Same guitar, same cab, same mic position, same mic, etc. The only thing that has changed was the amp head.

I did a poll just to see which one of those two clip you prefer. Please vote and reply with your reasons.

Hope you enjoy!

:wave:

kebek

Reaction score
Surprising very close... i am confused... but a bit more treble, bass and overdrive on the 1959... so 1959 it is...

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
NICE! Hey man, kudos for taking the time to make these comaprisons! Appreciated

eljeffebrown

Reaction score
Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
Seriously, not that I own one but the 900DR sounded better to my ears and it's all in the first 10 seconds. those opening riffs tell it all, the 900 has more sparkle and bite to it it sounded more like Jimi's tone, to me. The two are beautiful tones BTW, nice job man! :applause:

If Ken (and all the other 900DR bashers) can't appreciate the 900DR after this, you guys have a serious screw loose! :wave::)

Ken

Reaction score
First let me compliment you on great tone from the DR!! It sounds like a real amp! You definitely worked out how to play it and make it sound musical. That being said, I prefer the 1959, and if you played a DSL on the red with the gain on 4 and volume on 7...well one can only imagine!

I wouldn't be a DR basher if mine had sounded like that...must be me huh. But I'll go to my grave saying I, meaning ME, sound better on the DSL than I did on the DR. Whether it was me or the amp is up for debate... but nice as this clip is...I still would rather have an 800 or DSL...or 1959.

Ken

dptone5

Reaction score
Max, love this clip too! Thanks.

Both amps sound great with your Strat....I preferred the tone of the 1959SLP in this one, but not by a huge margin!

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
The low end on the 900 DR sounds flubby to me. I keep wanting to tweak the eq on this one so as you may have already guessed I have to go with the 1959SLP.
The plexi reissue sounds to me a bit more focused and tight. The low end especially.
Thanks again for doing these clips. This is cool.

quiksilver98

Reaction score
Here is another comparison, but this time between a JCM 900 and the 1959SLP. I think that the JCM 900 might suprise you!

Marshall JCM 900 DR 100 watts EL34s

This is a recording clip of a JCM 900 DR 100 watts with EL34s into 1960AV (Vintage 30).

I played on the clean channel with gain at 10 and the volume at 10 (full blast). I used a Fender Stratocaster Standard with TS and Fender mid-boost.

JCM 900 DR - Audio clip (this is the link)

Marshall 1959SLP (Reissue)

This is a recording clip of my 1959SLP into 1960AV (Vintage 30).

The channels were jumped (high treble > low input going into normal > high input). The high treble channel's volume was set at 10 and the normal channel's volume was set at 6. I played with a Fender Stratocaster Standard with TS and Fender mid-boost.

1959SLP - Audio clip (this is the link)

Please vote!

I did those two clip with the exact same setup. Same guitar, same cab, same mic position, same mic, etc. The only thing that has changed was the amp head.

I did a poll just to see which one of those two clip you prefer. Please vote and reply with your reasons.

Hope you enjoy!

i got my jcm900 to sound almost exactly like my plexi when cranked!!!

Thank you!!!! all 900 haters, beware!

Captainwave

Reaction score
Great job. Well, I'm not at all surprised by the JCM 900. I have one myself (DR). Using the clean channel and a good Strat, add a bit of Big Muff (not too much), an overdrive and a good delay and you are in Gilmour heaven, at least I am :)

RobS

Reaction score
They both sound excellent.

1959 has a slightly more organic tone to me.
900 sounded bloody excellent

I reckon if you did a blind poll and just said amp1 & amp 2 and we had to guess it would be interesting to see the results.

maxime1122

Reaction score
First let me compliment you on great tone from the DR!! It sounds like a real amp! You definitely worked out how to play it and make it sound musical. That being said, I prefer the 1959, and if you played a DSL on the red with the gain on 4 and volume on 7...well one can only imagine!

I wouldn't be a DR basher if mine had sounded like that...must be me huh. But I'll go to my grave saying I, meaning ME, sound better on the DSL than I did on the DR. Whether it was me or the amp is up for debate... but nice as this clip is...I still would rather have an 800 or DSL...or 1959.

Ken

Yeah, 900 DR are great amps... I have one head with 5881 (6L6) tubes and this one was with EL34. Both of them sound good. But, the one with EL34 is closer to the plexi tone.

maxime1122

Reaction score
There are only a few voters there, but a lot of viewers.
Are you hesitating between the two choices?

sccloser

Reaction score
I had to really compare these two. It came down to me on the opening lick and the solo. Before that I was giving the 1959 a slight advantage. The solo was almost too close to call, but the opening lick I give the edge to the 900. I could not believe that these two sounded that close, especially with the 900 dimed on gain and vol. You got two fine sounding amps there my friend.

I have the feeling, however, that if you used a LP, SG or other humbucker guitar that the 900 may lose definition and the 1959 would shine more...just a thought...

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 6l6's on my DR. I'm thinking of taking it to a tech to switch it to EL34s :hmm:

maxime1122

Reaction score
Since that I voted at the beginning of the poll, I can give my reasons...

I voted for the 1959SLP, because there is a better definition of the strings and the "fender crunch" is definitly more present in the open E string and in the solos...

But, it is true that those two amps sounded really close.

maxime1122

Reaction score
I have 6l6's on my DR. I'm thinking of taking it to a tech to switch it to EL34s :hmm:

It depends of what you want... The clean sound on the 900 is better with 6L6 (this is my opinion), but the crunch and lead channel is better with EL34s.

There is more mid with the EL34s, but you need to push the amp harder to wake those tubes.

P.S.: Your tech will need to modify the amp to use EL34.