• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

That twangy sound...?

• Thread starter mercilessdeath86
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mercilessdeath86

Reaction score
That twangy sound...? METAL HEADS! HELP!

So I recently got myself a new 6100LM head. great amp and I love it... but for some reason I can't get that... twangy sound (For lack of a better word).

Metal players, you must know what I mean. Old Chuck shuldiner and Kreator fans gotta know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I had a marshall MG100HDFX and I could get this sound with it, also I just used a valvestate combo which could get it very well.

I don't know. If you have any idea of what I'm talking about fill me in. Maybe I just need new tubes or I'm not cranking it enough...

Last edited:

stock_hippie

Reaction score
you are a lucky guy with that amp....wish i could just dream about a 6100!!!

Shawn Fate

Reaction score
when i think of twang i dont think of death, i think of a fender tele.

Shawn Fate

Reaction score
Death used Marshall Valvestate amps, a 8100 if i remember correctly, the VS line was replaced with the MG line of amps, the sound you are hearing is pretty much how those solid state amps sound.

mercilessdeath86

Reaction score
Yeah I know... That's what I was thinking at first too. But then I remembered Death didn't start using valvestates until around '92 or so. That clip was from '88.

spacerocker

Reaction score
If my amp ever starts to sound like that, I'm selling it!

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
lol I was just watching a bunch of demos for a death metal pedal.... I think the culprit for the sound is bad amps because all the demos I watched sounded exactly like that video. I do really like that genre but the guitarist in me (not the listener) could never put up with that tone.

WrenchDevil6

Reaction score
Keep in mind that tone is subjective and not something that could be argued to an end between any two people.

People like it or they don't.

mercilessdeath86

Reaction score
Yeah what sounds great to some sounds like shit to others.

Regardless if it sounds like shit or not, is there any way to get that out of my 6100LM?

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
Fair question and I was just saying I couldn't have that tone for myself but I like listen to bands with it... kinda an oxymoron but whatever

I think I no what you want, It just sounds like tons of treble and low bass try this and tell me what you think.

Gain 9 (very high)
Bass 3 (sounds like there is barely any bass and sounds thin)
Treble 9 (tons of gain and treble)
Mids 2 (scooped)
No Effects (dry/no reverb)
Get a distortion pedal or 2

It might not sound good at first but I think that basically whats going on with the black metal tone. The other settings I set is what I use for metalcore sound.

ToneZone100

Reaction score
I would have thought that using something like a Boss metal zone pedal thru the amp and an eq in the loop would make it easily acheivable.
If it's correct that they use solid state amps then you could rely on the gain of the pedal and run the amp relatively clean to get that sound. I have to say it is a little hard to hear as it's a live mix going thru youtube sound quality.
It wouldn't be my choice to use a 6100 that way but if that what floats yer boat matey then more power to ya! :headbanger: