The Best Practice Amp

• Thread starter midnightdreamer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

midnightdreamer

Reaction score
Hey guys! =) im new here at the marshallforum =D

im looking into buying a marshall soon and i wanna know from u guys what the best PRACTICE amp marshall has to offer.. i want an amp for home that doesn't take too much space, but can still deliver.. one that gives off awesome sound, but at the same time, one that wouldn't disturb the neighbors..

help plz =|

Sean Royle

Reaction score
id go with a marshall avt valvestate. those have the best sound in the price range of the other competitors. the mg series i find is way to metal sounding and cant get a good crunch tone out of it. i used a marshall avt50 for almost a year and loved it. i just had to switch to somethin with bit more juice. so i got a jcm 800 :)...but the avts are wicked. thats just my opinion tho its improtant to use your own ears and find wat suits you the best :)

pmw5003

Reaction score
I've played about every new Marshall amp, try the MG30GFX, I think thats what it's called. Seems like it can get whatever sound you like. It can be loud or quiet also.

fiftycalibre

Reaction score
The problem with practice amps, as I see it is, they don't sound good. I think this has as much to do with speaker size as it does with quality. I a/b'd a MG15DFX and an MG30DFX a year or so ago. The 30 had a much fuller, pleasing sound. It has a 10" speaker compared to the 15's 8". Years ago I had a 15W Peavey with a 6 1/2" speaker. It was not much chop.
Try a few out and aim for no smaller than 10".
My 2 cents.

slayerdude

Reaction score
I used to own an AVT50w combo. That was a great amp for bedroom practice and could keep up with a drumset easy. I regret getting rid of it because now its hard to get the sound i like at low volumes (for night time recordings). It was heavy but it was compact so easy to store.

JLH

Reaction score
use the marshalls for gigs, in your home buy a crate V series 15 or at Guitar Center it is a Palimino 16.
these are class A and work perfect for in the living room/ home.
I love Marshalls and own a bunch of them, I have not found one that works for practice that sounds good.
I have a Palimino 16 and love it

midnightdreamer

Reaction score
thanks for all your help guys :)

but i think the Marshall AVT50X will suit me most.. i have yet to try it though.. :D but from researching n' all, the AVT50X appeals to me most.. i hope it'll rock :D

CousinTim

Reaction score
I bought a DSL 50 with a 4x12 cab for gigging. But, realized it was too much for home practice. I wanted something with similar tone and picked up a DSL 401. I use that for practice at home, and at rehearsals. I'm very pleased with it.

lpaholic59Don

Reaction score
I bought a DSL 50 with a 4x12 cab for gigging. But, realized it was too much for home practice. I wanted something with similar tone and picked up a DSL 401. I use that for practice at home, and at rehearsals. I'm very pleased with it.

For me, an Older Crate VC20 R does the trick, I have also cranked my JCM 900 Combo down , its a 50 Watt 4501 ,Fender Blues Jr is a decent amp, I dont like any of the Marshall solid states myself and the newer TSL / DSL have some design flaws( according to all my repair guy friends- One of which is Marshall warranty repair guy )
The Crate VC 20 can get good nasty Marshall like distortion with real tubes Main power tubes are EL 84's not expensive to replace Good Luck in your search

StratTone

Reaction score
Man to be honest.......and I know this is bad but the Crate V1512 rocks for a practice amp. I put a Warehouse V30 clone in it and get killer Marshall tones out of it for practice amp style. My marshalls are JCM 900 4100, JCM 900 4500, JCM 800 2204, and a SLP. It really does a good job at low volume.

StratTone

Reaction score
use the marshalls for gigs, in your home buy a crate V series 15 or at Guitar Center it is a Palimino 16.
these are class A and work perfect for in the living room/ home.
I love Marshalls and own a bunch of them, I have not found one that works for practice that sounds good.
I have a Palimino 16 and love it

This man knows what he is talking about. ;)

LoKi

Reaction score
Depends on if you want a realistic approximation of your live tone in the practice room. If you just want something to play through, I think any of the small, low end Marshalls sound good for what they are.

The AVT series are some pretty nice amps, with some great features for the price.

stryker59

Reaction score
i am going to commit a crime here(sorry!)i looove my marshall tubes but the best practice amp ive ever had is my fender gdec. good sound and the midi backing tracks and now they make it in a 30 watt version!

sincitymusic

Reaction score
I'm a marshall tube fan all the way. But when it comes to a practice amp as of this time, I would agree with "stryker59's" Fender G-DEC. Part that I like 'bout this amp is the "phrasing mode" that you can cut through and disect heavy leads easily. I also have a 1987 marshal lead 12 mini full stack. This little amp is very close to the tone of the 80's jcm 800 on a solid state mode. In my opinion its slightly in a more headroom sound than the gdec 30 for it's got 2 stacked speakers. But then again I found myself using the G-DEC more to cut more solos' I ever did.
sincitymusic