The Car Thread

• Thread starter Ydna
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IbanezMark

Reaction score
Think about it like this... an engine is really just a big air pump. The more air you move through it, the more power you make.
The first thing most people do to improve performance is to put on a better (higher flowing) air filter and a better (higher flowing) exhaust.
Your 307 probably has a 2 bbl (barrel) carb on it. You could try and put a 4 bbl on it, (but you need a 4 bbl intake) it would be a start.

You can actually call Summit Racing, and talk to a tech for a carb application for your engine. The basic specs are 2 or 4 bbl, and how much cfm (how big, how much air they move)

Installation is basically four bolts and a gas hose and some linkage.

Hope this helps. :fingersx:

Exactly!
The folks at Summit are pretty good. If you tell them what engine it is, they should be able to hook you up with an intake manifold, carb, and some advice regarding jetting and metering tubes.

Edlebrock carbs are pretty good for the price point. Holley, Demon, etc are good carbs but pretty expensive (especially if you're just trying something out). I just sold a cast iron 4 bbl intake for a small block Chevy...probably would have fit your car! You can probably find an intake manifold and carb used for a few hundred bucks. You'll need to buy a new intake gasket though.

IbanezMark

Reaction score
I also sold an old pair of small block headers that could have been cool! I think I got $50 for 'em.
You could have fun with that engine though. Small block Chevy's are super easy to get HP out of. Sway out intake and exhaust manifolds, 4bbl carb, swap the cam, and voila....horsepower!

Too bad it's not a 283 :D
Mild porting and a good cam can make those engines RETARDED.

MM54

Reaction score
Think about it like this... an engine is really just a big air pump. The more air you move through it, the more power you make.
The first thing most people do to improve performance is to put on a better (higher flowing) air filter and a better (higher flowing) exhaust.
Your 307 probably has a 2 bbl (barrel) carb on it. You could try and put a 4 bbl on it, (but you need a 4 bbl intake) it would be a start.

You can actually call Summit Racing, and talk to a tech for a carb application for your engine. The basic specs are 2 or 4 bbl, and how much cfm (how big, how much air they move)

Installation is basically four bolts and a gas hose and some linkage.

Hope this helps. :fingersx:

Very interesting... I'll keep this in mind :fingersx: I don't expect to be able to do any work on it until Summertime, but hey, it's good to know and be prepared in advance (and to know how many pennies to pinch). I'm pretty good with a spanner (and socket sets, and screwdrivers, etc) so I'm not too worried about installation, although getting the 40 year old old bolts out may be interesting.

Exactly!
The folks at Summit are pretty good. If you tell them what engine it is, they should be able to hook you up with an intake manifold, carb, and some advice regarding jetting and metering tubes.

Edlebrock carbs are pretty good for the price point. Holley, Demon, etc are good carbs but pretty expensive (especially if you're just trying something out). I just sold a cast iron 4 bbl intake for a small block Chevy...probably would have fit your car! You can probably find an intake manifold and carb used for a few hundred bucks. You'll need to buy a new intake gasket though.

If you stumble across more of that sort of stuff that would work, let me know :lol:

I'll definitely be back at you two around spring for further advising :cheers:

(Also, all this talk of exhaust manifolds has reminded me that my exhaust headers are pretty rusty and probably going to be leaking soon :()

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
That would be hilarious if you sat in it, and hated it

That certainly would be comical.

I will say, my bug is very comfortable. The side window is so close that its like a perfect arm rest when my window is down.

impetus maximus

Reaction score
hey all you 64 1/2 - 66 convertible Mustang lovers.
how about a brand new one? read on.
fw

i want to see them bring back the 67-68 fastback! :fingersx:

a 4 barrel (used quadrajet) and a 50-100 shot of Nitrous will wake that 307 up :naughty:
if you go with juice make sure it set up to come on at above 2500-3000 RPM
to prevent detonation and shuts off a few hundred RPM before redline.
1 range colder plugs and a few degrees taken out of the timing is a must :wave:

if you want more power all the time, a Edelbrock "Performer" or "Performer RPM" package is nice.
or a cam out of a truck if your looking for low/mid range torque.

66 galaxie

VIP Member
Reaction score
ydna, I found a 67 camaro for you.
350, Muncie 4 speed, some odds and ends parts.
It runs and drives, but needs some work. The back window is broken out. (air Conditioning)
6700 bucks, here in sunny south dakota. :wave:

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
:wow::wow::wow:
It runs and drives, but needs some work. The back window is broken out. (air Conditioning)

:wow::wow::wow:

That's crazy.

Too bad I'm not there to get it. And I don't have $6,700.

Oh well. Someday, it'll happen. Guitar is just priority. And the random guitar shit list goes on forever and keeps growing.

But I'll make it happen somehow.

vintagevoltage351

Reaction score

How much for postage to Australia?

:)

MM54

Reaction score
Here's a good car question: Why, when it rains or is damp outside, does my car billow white smoke like a fog machine for up to two minutes on startup? It's annoying and I'd really like to do something about it -.-

vintagevoltage351

Reaction score
I wont let you go to the dark side my friend :lol:

Our blood is Ford blue. ;)

FOREVER BLUE MAN! :dude:
Im not as racist as i used to be, i can appreciate any old good muscle car these days.

I really have to open the shed and take a look at my baby, i think a family or three of 6 inch to 1 1/2 foot long lizards have moved in to it... All i saw nearly 2 years ago when i last saw it was a big dollar sign for what it will cost me to do it up.
Just as well our bass player is a top notch trimmer! He recently bought a sweet 66 mustang!

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
bloody hell... this just happened to me when i went home from work... still shaking...
379537_248706615183546_100001326294584_650452_1485386294_n.jpg

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
i took a corner and the whole fucking thing just snapped off... i've never seen anything like this before... it's not supposed to be a piece of shit car... it's an audi... german quality... :wtf:

Latest posts