The Class 5 is a wonderful little amplifier

matttornado

Reaction score
My neighbor has one and said I could play around with it but haven't yet. Reading this thread makers me want to give it try now.
He has the combo.

Is it loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer? I had a 5 watt Epiphone head (remember those?) and it barely kept up with the drummer at the time and he wasn't a super hard hitter, either. Maybe it was the cab / impedence setting I was using at the time?

Wildeman

Reaction score
My neighbor has one and said I could play around with it but haven't yet. Reading this thread makers me want to give it try now.
He has the combo.

Is it loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer? I had a 5 watt Epiphone head (remember those?) and it barely kept up with the drummer at the time and he wasn't a super hard hitter, either. Maybe it was the cab / impedence setting I was using at the time?
5w will definitely hang with a drummer, the speaker in a little combo probably won't though. I think, haven't had the opportunity yet, but think my AC4 would hang, it's got a 12".
I'm not crazy about a little combo screaming it's head off 100% of the time though, too many times when I had to because that's all I had, I prefer more amp than I need nowadays, 15w or more for me if there's a drummer, my 4203 or Deluxe Reverb most likely.

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I eventually found a Class 5 for myself but I have to admit it didn't stay with me for too long. It had a dark tone, very little top end and clarity, and rather than mod it I just moved it along. That's two of them I've tried and both were the same way.

I'm also no fan of their construction. Replacing tubes is not as easy as it should be, not by any means. I consider it to be a design flaw if you require a screwdriver to replace tubes.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 2 of them at one time, a white one and a black one. I don't have either of them anymore. Over time I learned that I really don't like el84 power tubes and that's the only reason I let them go.

Silverdome

Reaction score
I still have one and it was my gateway to Marshal. When I first got mine I plugged in, hated the tone (too clean), and it was too loud for my apartment. I took it to my parents house for a vacation and turned it up in the basement to play this thing properly and I fell in love.

I know have a 50 watt plexi clone and it is my main amp in our band. The class 5 I have rattles but when it's maxed out it sounds good and I don't hear the rattling. If you want an affordable Marshall I think it's worth it.