The death of the 4x12

• Thread starter Oldpunk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I love a great sounding 4x12, but it's usually 2x12; my 2x12 sound great but are easier to move around. I'll never get rid of my beloved 4x12. Everybody just gotta do what fits their situation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crikey

Reaction score
iu
Rofl!!!!

Calebz

Reaction score
Around here, if there's a backline, there will be 4x12 - usually loaded with some v30 variant.

If I have to bring a cab, it's a 2x12. For most of the past 10 years, just getting the gear to my car has required navigating a few dozen stairs - many of them quite narrow. Add to that, quite a few of the clubs around here have their stages in underground rooms - more stairs. No thanks. Not to mention that a minor miracle is often involved if one is to snag a parking spot within 500-800 meters of a venue.

I haven't stripped down to a modeler, but I have stopped carrying big iron and big cabs around. All the talk about 4x12 bottom end isn't that interesting to me - I have a bass player for that.

I love a good 4x12. Now that I have the space for it, I will probably buy another one. But for live use? Nope. Not if I have to bring it :D

Derek S

Reaction score
Times change, even things that just "work" typically either evolve/morph or will eventually fade from relevance. We all know everything that's been said here about the 4x12 has been said of sooo many other things (guitars with whammy bars, tubes, long hair, record albums, hell, electric guitars and rock music in general is supposed to be on life support at the moment, etc - it all comes and goes). I don't personally mind change, I'm actually a big fan of digital gear these days for recording...but I also believe there's nothing wrong with keeping traditions (like how some folks refuse to say "Christmas" during the holiday's...I get it, but then again, piss off if it bugs you, I've been saying that since I was a kid, since when is keeping a traditon a crime, there's nothing offensive or any kind of personal attack intended). 4x12's will probably become niche like the things I mentioned...but that's okay.

I don't even use anything pictured here at the moment, none of it really (ok, maybe the wah pedal lol), but there's no way in hell I'd part with it...

Vintage-Marshall-Cabs.jpg

Last edited:

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
This is the same steaming BS I heard at least twenty years ago regarding tube amps.

If there was no market for tube amps or 4x12's, then companies would no longer produce them. It's a simple concept in my opinion.

If 4x12's are dead, I didn't get the memo...or most likely just didn't give a damn.

Last edited:

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
True. Original rock bands are a lot of work to get pretty much anything done. Finding players, writing, recording, promoting, getting an audience.... you name it. It's a labor of love, definitely not the easiest path.

We're doing OK with shows though, this week alone we're playing Baltimore tomorrow, Philadelphia on Friday and Wilmington on Saturday. So it's going to be a busy weekend. And I will use a 4x12 on all 3 days :)

Wilmington, NY?

When, where? Maybe I can make it there.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
Wilmington, NY?

When, where? Maybe I can make it there.
No, it's in Wilmington, DE. :(
Unfortunately we don't have anything booked in NY at the moment, I'm working on a date in Binghamton for November but it's not confirmed yet. I'll post details when I have it.

EDIT: Actually it's in Newark, DE 😂

Here is the information on this weekend's shows, if anyone is interested:

Tonight:
Zen West
5916 York Rd, Baltimore, MD 21212
Doors at 7, we go on at 8

Friday, September 13th
The Fire Philly
412 W Girard Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19123
Doors at 6 we go on at 7:30

Saturday, September 14th
Halftime
618 Plaza Dr, Newark, DE 19702
Doors at 6 we're on at 7

We're playing these shows opening for a rock band from Japan named Kazha. They're a great band and they've been touring the US for the last few months so we're doing this leg of their tour with them.
Our band is called HEEL.

Hope to see some of you there!! I'll buy a beer or 5 to any Marshall Forum guys in attedance!!! There will be a 4x12 and a 100w Marshall on stage so bring your earplugs lol

Last edited:

Up The Steen

Reaction score
Yes, responding to your input in this thread has NOTHING to do with a 412 speaker cab. Guess why?

That you got confused/butthurt about ??? and injected My Bloody Valentine into the convo for no rhyme nor reason had fuck all to do with my point (you quoted) that substantially everybody agrees here that the 412 is in full use today.

That you next bizarrely pivoted into what females attend shows AGAIN has fuck all to do with the conversation on 412s and when that fell flat…

You claiming I am triggered to deflect your complete nonsensical discussion(?) by my having fun at your expense for providing the most worthless derailments on this thread all fall into… wait for it… commentary that has fuck all with 412s.

If you can’t even figure out that you haven’t had a cogent thought this whole thread and you are somehow surprised that a conversation over your absurd tangents has nothing to do with 412s… no shit. You are confused beyomd question.

The only thing that's been derailed here is you, though there's some debate as to whether you were even on the rails to begin with.

Anyway this is far too easy so I'll stop now.

What speakers do you like? I'm a T75 man myself.

firehead

Reaction score
It was a good run but times have changed. They sound great and look even better for 'show' but it seems the desire to lug those back breakers around anymore is fading fast. How do you all feel about the current trajectory of amps and what do you think the future has in store for us guitar nerds?

Let the pontification commence..... :)
I got rid of my 4x12 over 20 years ago. I got tired of lugging that thing around real fast and switched to a 2x12.

Now I want a full stack but I don’t want to have to move it. 2x12 is the most I’d want to be transporting. Currently using a 1x12 combo, adding a 1x12” extension cab when I want more volume. Having it split up like that is really convenient.

firehead

Reaction score
The part I hated was lifting it in and out of my car. I’d bear-hug it grabbing the side handles and slide it into the trunk with the back seats down. I like being self sufficient at gigs and not asking for help but yeah it’d be easier these days with my SUV.

Last edited:

Crikey

Reaction score
Around here, if there's a backline, there will be 4x12 - usually loaded with some v30 variant.

If I have to bring a cab, it's a 2x12. For most of the past 10 years, just getting the gear to my car has required navigating a few dozen stairs - many of them quite narrow. Add to that, quite a few of the clubs around here have their stages in underground rooms - more stairs. No thanks. Not to mention that a minor miracle is often involved if one is to snag a parking spot within 500-800 meters of a venue.

I haven't stripped down to a modeler, but I have stopped carrying big iron and big cabs around. All the talk about 4x12 bottom end isn't that interesting to me - I have a bass player for that.

I love a good 4x12. Now that I have the space for it, I will probably buy another one. But for live use? Nope. Not if I have to bring it :D
I run a modeler through my runt 50 and 4x12. Its glorious

Crikey

Reaction score
The part I hated was lifting it in and out of my car. I’d bear-hug it grabbing the side handles and slide it into the trunk with the back seats down. I like being self sufficient at gigs and not asking for help but yeah it’d be easier these days with my SUV.
You lost us with “ car”. Musicians should had a suv, minivan= best or a truck.

Crikey

Reaction score
I got rid of my 4x12 over 20 years ago. I got tired of lugging that thing around real fast and switched to a 2x12.

Now I want a full stack but I don’t want to have to move it. 2x12 is the most I’d want to be transporting. Currently using a 1x12 combo, adding a 1x12” extension cab when I want more volume. Having it split up like that is really convenient.
My 2x12s are near size of my 4x12s so i take the fo twelve

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
4x12’s are real man size speaker cabs ( I have one of these
2x12’s are wench size speaker cabs ( I have none of these )
1x12’s are pussy size speaker cabs ( I definitely have none of these )

It’s literally as simple as that , no if’s or but’s , more is definitely more . Ask Yngwie he will back me up if you’re in doubt 🤘

Latest posts