The dsl joey mod thread

• Thread starter TwinACStacks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gibson22

Reaction score
looking for some info? I have a marshell jcm 2000 dsl 100" is it good to use a fan behind your amp to help keep it cool.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL.

I turned both volumes on the DSL100 to 10 and tinkered with it like a non master volume . . .

:wow:

:headbanger:

Yes the V4 is extremely loud as well. But the V4 starting getting Dirty and breaking up just before the level I could safely climb the DSL to. This was through a 4X12 cab.

Trust me - windows were shakin' for both of these bad boys.

We were Shakin', Woo ooh ooh oh oh . . .

:rock:

gibson22

Reaction score
well yesterday my amp just cut out no sound .Thought that it got hot and would need a fan to help keep it cool.. today I went out and looked at it and saw that my HT-fuse was blown. will radio shake have one .thanks for the reply.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
LOL.

I turned both volumes on the DSL100 to 10 and tinkered with it like a non master volume . . .

:wow:

:headbanger:

Yes the V4 is extremely loud as well. But the V4 starting getting Dirty and breaking up just before the level I could safely climb the DSL to. This was through a 4X12 cab.

Trust me - windows were shakin' for both of these bad boys.

We were Shakin', Woo ooh ooh oh oh . . .

:rock:

:) I'm still thinking something ain't right. Unless I set the EQ and Switches for "Marshall tone"--I downloaded the Manual, On Clean it would be Deafening before it even HINTED at breaking up. And I MEAN WAY LOUDER than a DSL is capable of on 10.

Mine was a 1976 non Distortion model.

AmpegV4013.jpg

:):) TWIN

rockgod212

Reaction score
im revoicing my dsl100 again, can someone explain to me what stages are used on the green crunch channel and which stages are on the red lead channels?

what does the diode circuitry at the imput on the pot board do, are they really needed, as i would like to remove them if possible?

jcmjmp

Reaction score
what does the diode circuitry at the imput on the pot board do, are they really needed, as i would like to remove them if possible?

The diode on the input prevents overvoltages making it into the amp.

rockgod212

Reaction score
question......on the pot board, i know c12 and c13 are the brite caps for the red lead channel, but how do they work together, series or parallell? is c12 for lead 1, and c12+c13 for lead 2.......trying to find the right values, but a bit confused as to how they work together.........

rockgod212

Reaction score
ok i think i understand c12 and c13, am i correct to say that c12 is the brite cap and c13 goes from the gain pot wiper to ground when switched to lead2?

Jchop76

Reaction score
I offer both a power and output transformer upgrade, specifically designed for the DSL and my prices are very reasonable + you get a top quality, paper interleaved transformer that will really make your amp better.
The OT I offer is basically a plexi transformer in a DSL form factor.
Marshall DSL Transformers

Hey JCM. I'm interested in your power transformer for the DSL 100. You only list one. Do you offer two different Power Transformers for the dsl? a 50watt and a 100watt?

I have a dsl 100.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Hey JCM. I'm interested in your power transformer for the DSL 100. You only list one. Do you offer two different Power Transformers for the dsl? a 50watt and a 100watt?

I have a dsl 100.

The power transformers are basically the same part number. The 100w PT is the one I use for the 50w. Both have much better characteristics than the stock transformers both in terms of power delivery and noise.

valvehead

Reaction score
hi guys---
Ive been trying some of these mods on a DSL here.

It does sound a little better. I really like whats going on with LEAD 1 on mine tone wise ....BUT , if i could get a little more gain out of it--it would be perfect.

LEAD 2 does have more gain , but its a little mushy--when you chunk on some chords--as in palm muting. Its just not "tight " enough for my taste .

So, which exact resistors can i play with to get a little bit more gain on LEAD 1 ?
and will that affect Lead 2 ?

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) A choke and OT will tighten it up considerably. Then add JC's Lydian PT to the mix and it becomes tighter than a frog's waterproof butthole.

valvehead

Reaction score
:) A choke and OT will tighten it up considerably. Then add JC's Lydian PT to the mix and it becomes tighter than a frog's waterproof butthole.

responding to my post?

if so---i disagree. A choke wont really "tighten" up an amp. Its more of an inductor --or filter for ac . Example----5150 has no choke ==very tight and chunky amp. NOW--I have NOT tried a choke IN A DSL----so i could be wrong in that case ;)

In my experiences---A power transformer will not affect an amp as far as tone or tightness. UNLESS--you have a weak or malfunctioning power trans that is not delivering proper current/ voltage.

OT-----Ive installed many of them in many amps, The WAY overpriced Mercury , etc....I did not hear any difference--nor did the amp owners. Yes they are a better quality OT. Tone ? no. Go with a Heyboer.

Im just not that familiar with the DSL--especially when the dam schematic takes off to " CON3" , CON14 , etc.... :) Just wondering where lead 1 stuff can be adjusted----- just asking in case a couple of you have done exactly what im talking about ---you dig ? :)

or maybe i shall dig into the schem. :hmm:

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
responding to my post?

if so---i disagree. A choke wont really "tighten" up an amp. Its more of an inductor --or filter for ac . Example----5150 has no choke ==very tight and chunky amp. NOW--I have NOT tried a choke IN A DSL----so i could be wrong in that case ;)

In my experiences---A power transformer will not affect an amp as far as tone or tightness. UNLESS--you have a weak or malfunctioning power trans that is not delivering proper current/ voltage.

OT-----Ive installed many of them in many amps, The WAY overpriced Mercury , etc....I did not hear any difference--nor did the amp owners. Yes they are a better quality OT. Tone ? no. Go with a Heyboer.

Im just not that familiar with the DSL--especially when the dam schematic takes off to " CON3" , CON14 , etc.... :) Just wondering where lead 1 stuff can be adjusted----- just asking in case a couple of you have done exactly what im talking about ---you dig ? :)

The Stock xformers in the DSL are pitifully Under-Speced. JC's are made by Heyboer. Trust me, we aren't dummies on what will work in a DSL. Personally I like the Plexi Dagnall C1998 OT made by Marstran. I noticed a considerable bit of tightness added to the Bottom end with the choke/OT combination, Of Course I was tweaking the internals at the same time... JC or Joey could get more specific, I know playing with the Value on C10 on the frontboard can tighten Lead 2 a Tad. Adjusting the Value of R30 on the Tubeboard drastically affects Overall Gain and brightness of both Channels.

:lol::lol: TWIN

jcmjmp

Reaction score
responding to my post?

Listen... you've got some knowledgeable techs and hobbyists here giving you advice and stating facts. Perhaps you should research/learn before you post stuff like the above.

A choke will contribute to the overall tighness of a tube amp because it reduces the amount of voltage sag vs using a resistor and if you select your choke wisely, it can also increase screen voltage which can have a slight effect on headroom of the amp.

This applies to most class AB amps. It has been done on the 5150 FYI and it does make a difference

http://www.marshallforum.com/other-amps/6803-5150-choke-adjustabe-bias-mod.html#post48092

Perhaps, but the transformers in the JCM2000 line of amps are weak and tends to overheat and sag when the amp is pushed. That does not contribute to good performance at band or gig level volumes.

I for one can state that the Lydian OT for the DSL will give you more clean output power, better low end and overall, better definition.

For lead one, theres enough info on the 1st page that should help you out to start.