The DSL100 Rocks!

• Thread starter Adwex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thrawn86

Reaction score
To Adam .. Do you think! Hahaha

jcmjmp, I've been playing with these guys for a while. My dsl was in perfect condition when we started. Good call on the non-master volume. I really can't compete with him. I turned my mids up, but that made my tone too naisal. I tried throwing an eq in the effects loop, still didn't work. That jmp is just in your face. The only chance I have is to crank the red channel up super loud, and play rythem on the green. I didn't know that this was due to the master volume... Is there anything my amp guy can do to give my dsl more head-room? I am going to start saving my pennies for a jmp!

:io: Geez, you don't give it a rest, do you? Quit chiming in just to bash the damn thing and find something else to play you whelp.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got to play on my band mates jmp 100 last night due to my dsl being in the shop... You can have your dsl... And mine! That jmp is amazing! Played my strat on it, roll the v down on your guitar a bit.. And it sounds like Hendrix. Turn it back up, and buttery solos. Hit the tube screamer with a Hb Duncan pup, and it sounds heavenly. I hope my dsl is still in the shop next week!!!! My dsl bs that jmp- we set the volume levels, so that our rythem level is equal. He plays a solo and you hear every note while My dsl dissapears when I solo. I've set the eq in every way. I don't use the tone scoop, and the sound is too chunky and interfears with the bass player when the deep button is pushed. The dsl sounds great in my livingroom... But it really struggles to cut through the mix at band practice.

I can't imagine a DSL not being able to cut in a mix although I get the differences in comparison to the JMP.

What speakers was the DSL going through? GT-75's? V30's or GB's would be my preference and with V30's there should be no reason other than user error, unbalanced sound mix or a sick DSL that it gets lost or is not up front in the mix. These are cutting amps unless the mids are adjusted to be scooped. You already stated that wasn't the case.

Oh well. I love those vintage amps and their tone. I get along fine with my DSL too though. Will have both one of these days.

RazorDave

Reaction score
I agree with solarburn, you should be able to cut well with a DSL, Ive shared the stage with a friend of mine that has a boogie, and the DSL did excellent. Ive never had to go louder than 5 on mine

DC135er

Reaction score
DSLTRoubles, there must be something real wrong with your amp. I've never heard a DSL I didn't like. Was yours ever modded? Did you buy it new/used? Speakers? Pickups?

DSL troubles

Reaction score
it does fine on rhythm, but the lead disappears. When i was playing in my other band and i was the only guitar player, i had no problems...his JMP just dominates the room no matter what volume.

I usually had about these settings
Pres-5 treb-5 mid-6 bass-5....reverb-0, 0
green, gain -10, vol - 5, button pushed
red, gain - 7, vol- 5
no bass boost, no tone scoop, no ultra gain

I run a boss super OD pedal through the green channel some of the time.
pedal settings; vol 5, tone about 5-6, gain 8-9

I am using the straight cab to his JMP stack. O want to say its a 1977 or 78 JMP, so that should date the cab. I dont know whats in it as far as speakers...he uses the slant cab...I would imagine we are using the same speakers. He said he has never opened it up. I have a 1960a with GT-75s at home....but I didn't see a reason to bring it in if I can just plug into his straight cab. Should I use my 1960a? Would this cab work better with my DSL?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
it does fine on rhythm, but the lead disappears. When i was playing in my other band and i was the only guitar player, i had no problems...his JMP just dominates the room no matter what volume.

red, gain - 7, vol- 5

I am using the straight cab to his JMP stack. O want to say its a 1977 or 78 JMP, so that should date the cab. I dont know whats in it as far as speakers...he uses the slant cab...I would imagine we are using the same speakers. He said he has never opened it up. I have a 1960a with GT-75s at home....but I didn't see a reason to bring it in if I can just plug into his straight cab. Should I use my 1960a? Would this cab work better with my DSL?

The GT-75's are inherently scooped a bit so that cab wouldn't be a step in the right direction although guys like them with their Marshall's. I have to go to work now but when I get a chance I'll look at your settings and compare to mine and see what hits me. Talk to you bruther's tomorrow!:wave:

Last edited:

DSL troubles

Reaction score
sytg68.jpg
His JMP
2cxtbty.jpg
My DSL...please ignore the processor. I was just messing with it... And I have no idea who's junk bass that is.

DSL troubles

Reaction score
DSLTRoubles, there must be something real wrong with your amp. I've never heard a DSL I didn't like. Was yours ever modded? Did you buy it new/used? Speakers? Pickups?

its messed up right now, and in the shop...but ive been having this problem since it was in perfect working order.

Pickup is a Duncan JB. I dont even bother using my single coils{strat}...that would make it worse. My JB loaded guitar sounds huge in his JMP, so its not the guitar or pups.

Landshark

Reaction score

red, gain - 7, vol- 5

Push those mids to 7 or 8, roll the gain back to 7-ish and push a hair or two more volume... You should be cutting with that thing...

More headroom? I don't know if you've ever thought of why it's called a DSL (dual super lead) but I think you'd like this solution... dime the volume and gain on the clean channel when you get it back... a VERY organic sound.:headbanger:

DSL troubles

Reaction score
Push those mids to 7 or 8, roll the gain back to 7-ish and push a hair or two more volume... You should be cutting with that thing...

More headroom? I don't know if you've ever thought of why it's called a DSL (dual super lead) but I think you'd like this solution... dime the volume and gain on the clean channel when you get it back... a VERY organic sound.:headbanger:

Dime? as 10/10? I am thinking it will probably explode! hahah

Landshark

Reaction score
Dime? as 10/10? I am thinking it will probably explode! hahah

Haha! I do this with my TSL all the time... it's only about as loud as a 6 or 7 on the crunch channel... well maybe a little bit louder... but I think that might be more of what you'd be looking for as far as getting a closer "sound" out of your DSL to the sound you like. Now for clean tones... well that's up to you how you get those.:fingersx:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

red, gain - 7, vol- 5

Ok. When I use lead 1 I have the gain usually at 5 or 6. I boost this with my Dano Transparent OD for the punch I want, not more gain. Its like night & day difference "wamp" wise.
Presence-2
Treble-4
Mids-6(Tone shift always out)
Bass 4 Boost on. This may get adjusted lower the higher the volume.
Volume 5-I find this the sweet spot(when mine is working right hehe)

Lead 2- Try these settings for shits and giggles and let me know how it sounds: Gain at 3 or 3.5 no boost. Volume at 5 or wherever you like...
Presence-3
Treble- 4 or 5
Mids- 6 or 7(Again Tone Shift always out)
Bass 3 or 4 Bass boost in. Adjust this the higher the volume or as needed.

I boost the green channels crunch.Gain at 7 or 8. Volume wherever...

Generally I have my amp set up on lead 2 with above EQ settings and then I just use one of 3 boost pedals set up differently on the crunch channel to get 3 separate gain overdrive tones. The trick here is I don't have to re EQ between the red channel and the green channel. I can use the same EQ for both. Really the only consideration is making a bass adjustment maybe cause the green channel has more bottom than the red channel. If I do its minor and only at higher volume.

I get these 2 channels to play very well together like this. I don't use lead 1 at all when I have it set up this way.

I can get my cleans by rolling off guitar volume on both channels. Hardrock is about as heavy gain wise as I go so I can still achieve clean tones by rolling down guitar volume even while using my boost pedals.

I don't recall what tubes you use so can you say again?

I'm running mine into a 412 loaded with GB's. I also have a 212 loaded with V30's.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I think that Solar nailed it. Get some good tubes in there, make sure you get another speaker (vs the G12T-75) in your cab to get more but (i.e. swap out 2 G12T-75s with 2 V30s), crank the mids.

DSL troubles

Reaction score
Ok. When I use lead 1 I have the gain usually at 5 or 6. I boost this with my Dano Transparent OD for the punch I want, not more gain. Its like night & day difference "wamp" wise.
Presence-2
Treble-4
Mids-6(Tone shift always out)
Bass 4 Boost on. This may get adjusted lower the higher the volume.
Volume 5-I find this the sweet spot(when mine is working right hehe)

Lead 2- Try these settings for shits and giggles and let me know how it sounds: Gain at 3 or 3.5 no boost. Volume at 5 or wherever you like...
Presence-3
Treble- 4 or 5
Mids- 6 or 7(Again Tone Shift always out)
Bass 3 or 4 Bass boost in. Adjust this the higher the volume or as needed.

I boost the green channels crunch.Gain at 7 or 8. Volume wherever...

Generally I have my amp set up on lead 2 with above EQ settings and then I just use one of 3 boost pedals set up differently on the crunch channel to get 3 separate gain overdrive tones. The trick here is I don't have to re EQ between the red channel and the green channel. I can use the same EQ for both. Really the only consideration is making a bass adjustment maybe cause the green channel has more bottom than the red channel. If I do its minor and only at higher volume.

I get these 2 channels to play very well together like this. I don't use lead 1 at all when I have it set up this way.

I can get my cleans by rolling off guitar volume on both channels. Hardrock is about as heavy gain wise as I go so I can still achieve clean tones by rolling down guitar volume even while using my boost pedals.

I don't recall what tubes you use so can you say again?

I'm running mine into a 412 loaded with GB's. I also have a 212 loaded with V30's.

Ive never used a boost on the red channel. I will try those settings when I get it back. I never liked the bass boost though...its just way too much. My tech changed a few things, like caps, and some of the values. He said it is sounding pretty good now. This is a huge break through because he didnt like the sound at all when i gave it to him.

He just sent me this-
"I can do the overheat mod if you want once i get the right schem but I dont see any heat related issues on yours, just that the bias current was way hot. Now it has stayed in the same spot for quite a few days. I think I have it sounding right. It could just be something simple like the two right tubes just got too much of a worj out and or now lacking a little luster. Let me figure out the reverb problem and then you take it and play it for a while.
ok cool finally got the correct schem JCM2-60-02. DGM "ISS 7"

Thank you jcmjmp!!!!!

00jett

Reaction score
I found with my dsl 50 that i didn't really like using the bass boost either until i added a choke to the amp. It really tightened up the low end IMO and it was only a 30 dollar mod. I use the MM Mar100 choke.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Re: The Jubilee/DSL Stack !

I brought my Jubilee to the studio to compare it with the DSL.

hvctpt.jpg

Definitely a big difference. The Jubilee has a whole different character, especially in the lows and mids. It kills the DSL for leads, with a much more....sophisticated, smoother tone. For rhythm, the DSL is more classic Marshall tone...aggressive and balanced, where the Jub has more pronounced low mids. I wish I could record the two, it's tough to explain with words.

Yup, The main reason why the DSL is'nt special for me is that I'm a lead guitarist, and the DSL has a better rhythm tone, than lead tone. The other reason is, it has way too much on it for me, 1 chanel is enough for me.

But if I could, I'd buy a DSL for rhythm and use my VM for lead.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive never used a boost on the red channel. I will try those settings when I get it back. I never liked the bass boost though...its just way too much. My tech changed a few things, like caps, and some of the values. He said it is sounding pretty good now. This is a huge break through because he didnt like the sound at all when i gave it to him.

He just sent me this-
"I can do the overheat mod if you want once i get the right schem but I dont see any heat related issues on yours, just that the bias current was way hot. Now it has stayed in the same spot for quite a few days. I think I have it sounding right. It could just be something simple like the two right tubes just got too much of a worj out and or now lacking a little luster. Let me figure out the reverb problem and then you take it and play it for a while.

Thank you jcmjmp!!!!!

Well just adjust the bass where you like then. That won't make or break it and it does depend on speaker/pups/guitar on how much bottom end you'll need. Adjust for taste though. Try the Red channel lead 2 like I wrote and just put the bass where you like. I'm more interested in what you think about having more power tube and less preamp gain using lead 2. I like it that way otherwise I don't use lead 2 really.

The other point is being able to use basically the same EQ for lead 2 and the crunch channel rolling back for cleans with guitar volume. I have 4 different gain voicings with a clean tone readily available by rolling off guitar volume and no amp EQ changes. Thats pretty friggn cool if you ask me...:dude:

Look forward to hearing about how yours sounds now.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Re: The Jubilee/DSL Stack !

Yup, The main reason why the DSL is'nt special for me is that I'm a lead guitarist, and the DSL has a better rhythm tone, than lead tone. The other reason is, it has way too much on it for me, 1 chanel is enough for me.

But if I could, I'd buy a DSL for rhythm and use my VM for lead.

I'm a lead guitarist (usually the sole guitarist in the band) and have no problem with the DSL's tone for lead work.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
He just sent me this-

Thank you jcmjmp!!!!!

No prob. As for the overheat mod, I believe that this only applies to the DSL401/201 combos, not the heads.

Latest posts