• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Firebird thread!

• Thread starter johnfv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

johnfv

Reaction score
I know this may not exactly be a popular thread but come on Firebird fans, show some love! :rock:

When I was 14, I used my paper route money to buy a used '66 Firebird I (single pickup). It was my main guitar for a lot of years and I always loved the look and biting yet fat tone. Eventually I became a junkie for Strats and my Firebird became more of a closet queen :eek: I sold it when I needed money to make a down payment on my house. Years of regret later I was able to snag a lightly used 2008 Firebird V - these guitars still look and sound amazing.
johnfv-albums-guitars-picture4666-my-firebird-back-day.jpg

4798d1298592015-lets-see-your-gibsons-firebird1.jpg

4800d1298592222-lets-see-your-gibsons-firebird3.jpg

johnfv-albums-guitars-picture4831-return-firebird-ej-strat-back.jpg

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Beautiful guitars! I was lucky to play an early Firebird that a friend of a friend owned once, and it left a lasting impression on me.

T-Bird

Reaction score
Hi.

I had a -76 (IIRC) Bicentennial back in the day, sold it in a very dire need for rent money :(, and a -91 reissue ATM.

Great shape (the shape of the guitar/bass, not the shape mine is in ;)), the next best after LP in my book.

Mine was in 5 pieces when I got it, all better now :). No pics ATM.

Regards
Sam

Lucifuge

Reaction score
Beautiful guitars guys! I still need to add one to my collection. Anyone know where to find a money tree?

johnfv

Reaction score
Some great Firebird players

Johnny Winter is one well known Firebird player. I was a big fan of his style and it definitely influenced my decision to buy one as a teen:
Johnny_Winter1990.jpg

Eric Clapton with Firebird I
EricClaptonWithGibsonFirebirdI.jpg

tumblr_kuh92j9zyS1qa8tz9o1_500.gif

Keith Richards:
firebird.jpg

Warren Haynes:
Screen+shot+2010-06-26+at+11.06.23+AM.png

James Hetfield:
attachment.php

Brian Jones:
brian%20jones%20firebird.jpg

More here including Allen Collins and Paul McCartney:
8 Great Gibson Firebird Players

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
i don't have one yet but, the firebird has been one of my top 5 guitars since i started. i want one sooooo badly! the SG,Firebird,super strat ala Jackson/Charvel are my absolute favs. i love those 3. strats then teles are next. les pauls are last because they just don't suit me. nothing worng with them at all they just never sat right with my approach. i need that low string upper fret access and all the LP''s Gibson's pumping out now suck donkey dick imo. the ealr and mid 90's are the last good ones imo so far and i've owned a LOT of les pauls now..... after all those come the V's and other oddball shapes.i like the king Vee a lot but, i have a passionate hatred for floating trems.

johnfv

Reaction score

Attachments

• SKB_softcase.jpg
    SKB_softcase.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 14
  • SKB_softcase2.jpg
    SKB_softcase2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 6

jbull

Reaction score
I know this may not exactly be a popular thread but come on Firebird fans, show some love! :rock:

When I was 14, I used my paper route money to buy a used '66 Firebird I (single pickup). It was my main guitar for a lot of years and I always loved the look and biting yet fat tone. Eventually I became a junkie for Strats and my Firebird became more of a closet queen :eek: I sold it when I needed money to make a down payment on my house. Years of regret later I was able to snag a lightly used 2008 Firebird V - these guitars still look and sound amazing.
johnfv-albums-guitars-picture4666-my-firebird-back-day.jpg

4798d1298592015-lets-see-your-gibsons-firebird1.jpg

4800d1298592222-lets-see-your-gibsons-firebird3.jpg

johnfv-albums-guitars-picture4831-return-firebird-ej-strat-back.jpg

That is a good looking guitar, I'v always liked firebird style guitar.

And you Sir, looks like young Dave Mustaine when you were young :)

johnfv

Reaction score
I'd love one that wasn't neck-heavy.
Funny thing. My original reverse was a transitional model with Kluson inline tuners. No neck dive at all. I replaced them with Schallers, no neck dive at all. Only when I bought my 2008 RI did I understand the whole banjo tuner neck heavy tale of woe. The Steinberger tuners solve it - no problem.

66 galaxie

VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh, Hells yes. You even raised the middle section. 5 strings now? KILLER! :hbang:

Yep, this one is for a buddy of mine. He is the one that did the raised top. He pretty much told me what he wanted and brought me the materials. He loves Kieth Richards, so yep 5 strings. I've never been a big Firebird fan, but I really dig how this is turning out. I'm gonna have to make myself one... :hmm: maybe a 6 string :cool:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny thing. My original reverse was a transitional model with Kluson inline tuners. No neck dive at all. I replaced them with Schallers, no neck dive at all. Only when I bought my 2008 RI did I understand the whole banjo tuner neck heavy tale of woe. The Steinberger tuners solve it - no problem.

Here's my one. It gets smokey tones. I want an 80's sunburst one eventually. Sunburst is my favorite color for Firebirds. But vintage Firebirds are highly priced, but rightly so: