The greatest guitar sound

• Thread starter mcqlfc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mcqlfc

Reaction score
It can be a few seconds long or 10 mins but whats your favourite sound?

This really does it for me.... (1.21-1.30). [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azEpLihcavE]Queen - Hammer To Fall - Isolated Mix - YouTube[/ame]
I would love to sound like this.

CaptainZero

Reaction score
For me, this one starts right off with some kick ass tone. Very 80's

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEdtaZBOzgk&ob=av2e]Babylon A.D. - Bang Go The Bells - YouTube[/ame]

Macro

Reaction score
The land of cheesesteaks and soft pretzels
There are too many examples that I love. I suppose I keep coming back to Eddie Van Halen on the Fair Warning album. 'Mean Street' and 'Unchained' have great sound...if I could dial in that sound perfectly I'd be happy with it for a long time.

Also love the tone on AC/DC Back In Black...every song just punches you right in the face :)

My more modern sound is a cross between George Lynch on the first 2 Lynch Mob albums, Steve Vai on Passion & Warfare, and Joe Satriani on Flying in a Blue Dream. They all incorporate delay into a killer overdriven distortion that I spent year chasing.

One last honorable mention....Zakk Wylde on Ozzy's 'No More Tears'....his tone on that song is pure awesome.

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
Tool "Lateralus" is one of my favorite heavy rhythm tones along with the Pumpkins' "Zero". Mesa amps have great heavy rhythm tones!

Lead tone goes to Dave Gilmour's Darkside, WYWH & Animals era.

Honorable mention to the Europe song "Cherokee"...a 'throaty' lead tone I've been chasing for years.

In all, 80s rhythm guitar tone kinda sucks IMO. 90s rhythm guitar tone is awesome!

90s lead tones are nasty. 80s lead tones are awesome!

70s tone is cleaner and usually awesome. Thin Lizzy and Judas Priest have ballsy tone!

V-man

Reaction score
Black Sabbath: Supernaut/Into the void.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
just one?! I'm WAY too greedy there bromandude:(

uh.....okay though being that i'm a modern metal guy i'll pick appropriate to that i guess though it's NOT my FAVORITE tone (just best suits me currently)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-rIHFbOSDQ]Killswitch Engage - Starting Over - YouTube[/ame]

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
Great album, great sound. Never played a gretch, supposed to be cool guitars.

Electric was recorded with a LP, love was recorded with a gretsch.
Actually the version of electric recorded with a gretsch was discarded, Bob Rock re-did the entire album, and made Billy play a LP. I have both versions. I know some of the videos from the album shows him playing a Gretsch white falcon, but he used a LP

Cheers

richieG

Reaction score
Electric was recorded with a LP, love was recorded with a gretsch.
Actually the version of electric recorded with a gretsch was discarded, Bob Rock re-did the entire album, and made Billy play a LP. I have both versions. I know some of the videos from the album shows him playing a Gretsch white falcon, but he used a LP

Cheers

I saw them on a recent tour. They played the whole love album plus greatest hits.

For the love part...white falcon into 2 AC30s. He recorded the love album with one guitar which was a white falcon. When I saw it I was like "fuck where are the marshalls?" But seriously man he lit up the room. It was the best live rock tone I have ever heard. It just sat in the mix perfectly.

Then he jumped on a LP for the rest of the night minus a couple of tunes, and to me, his tone went from 10/10 to 9/10. Still awesome but just lacked that zing.

One of the best gigs I have been to.

EDIT.... I would be really interested to hear the Electric recording with a gretsch.

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw them on a recent tour. They played the whole love album plus greatest hits.

For the love part...white falcon into 2 AC30s. He recorded the love album with one guitar which was a white falcon. When I saw it I was like "fuck where are the marshalls?" But seriously man he lit up the room. It was the best live rock tone I have ever heard. It just sat in the mix perfectly.

Then he jumped on a LP for the rest of the night minus a couple of tunes, and to me, his tone went from 10/10 to 9/10. Still awesome but just lacked that zing.

One of the best gigs I have been to.

EDIT.... I would be really interested to hear the Electric recording with a gretsch.

Grats on catchin the show man, sounds mad.

Ill see if I can dig it out, it was real reverby and not tight at all(very similar to love), the recording was sub-par imo. Bob Rock did wonders to get Electric to where it ended up. Such an under-rated album by a super band. Billy Duffy is the reason I play a LP. :dude: And Sonic Temple was a damn fine album as well. After that they went down hill, too much heroin =(