The Long Lost Marshall Lead 12

• Thread starter ETrask68
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePitbullofLove

Reaction score
Add me to the list. I bought my first guitar, a 1981 Les Paul Custom, in the summer of 1988. I then needed an amp. Well, this one said "Marshall" just like my buddy's JCM800 half stack, but was much less "obtrusive" than a big amp, so it followed me home the next day. Lead 12 was my first....I'll never forget her... :)

Yugedrums

Reaction score
Thanks for the great story. I honestly got a little choked up reading it. I'm 48 and while I never owned one of those Lead 12's, I remember them. There was always one or more of them in my local music store. I long for much of the gear I have had and sold over all these years and I would cry like a baby if some of them suddenly came back to me like that.

soundboy57

Reaction score
Great story. Great little amps.
My first amp was a Teisco 15 watt "bass Organ" amp combo.
I found one in mint shape for $60 a few years back and bought it, along with my first guitar, a Lyle 335 style bass, which is mint;
They both sit in my living room.
My folks bought both of them for me in 1970. If I found the originals, no matter how beat they were, I would
replace what I have.
They mean more, by far, than any plexi, basketweave, etc. And honestly?
They sound and play quite nice....made in Japan quality :)

Hawkesman

Reaction score
Wonderful tale. Funny how things happen sometimes. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Look what followed me home today.....

vuvptkeq74vww5vjewn4.jpg

EADGBE

Reaction score
Those are nice amps! I have the lead 12 micro stack version. I bought it new in 1986. I still play it. It's amazing how these little amps have that Marshall sound.
zjhWLO5.gif

El Gringo

Reaction score
Super awesome story and so nice that you have it back home with you .I can totally understand and appreciate your feelings about your first amp .I am the same way with all of my Guitars and amps as I have everything that I ever purchased except for a vintage MXR Dyna Comp pedal and a Dimarzio Super Distortion pickup which I gave away to a friend when I got Seymour Duncan pickups.

devilRED

Reaction score
Great story, 2 weeks ago i had the opurtunity to grab one but it slliped though my figers :/

Carlospanzenhagen

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
When I was 16 (I'm 49 now), I was fairly certain I was going to be a rock star. And like most young left handed guitar players of my generation, I was also pretty sure I needed to play a Strat through a Marshall. One rainy evening in 1984, my mother took me to the local guitar/music store and bought me my first REAL guitar amplifier, a Marshall Lead 12. It was the least expensive Marshall they had. I remember looking at the stacks and the 2x12 combos, knowing they were way out of mums reach, but she could afford the Lead 12. The Lead 12 put up with a LOT of abuse! Three years of garage band beatings, talent shows, drunken parties, car trunks, etc. ALWAYS turned all the way up, never covered etc. Then I got married (at 19!!....) and sold it to my friends (singer in my high school garage band) little brother. He, in turn took it to college and beat it some more. Sadly, he passed away in 1990, and the amp found its way back to my friends parents garage and sat for 20 years. Once in a while I would wonder what I had done with that old Marshall. I didnt remember selling it, but many amps have come and gone in the 33 years since I was going to be a rock star... One day, quite recently, after connecting with my old singer friend on Facebook, the UPS guy dropped off a box. Inside was the Lead 12. I seriously cried and my 15 year old daughter said I was 'cute' for being so emotional about a small black box. After all those years, I couldnt believe I was looking at my first Marshall... A bit of electrical contact cleaner and some solder for the speaker wires later, she was up and running, just as loud and obnoxious as ever! I have since realized that I am not going to be a rock star, but an auto mechanic instead, and I have since been able to buy a couple of Mesas, but they dont have the 'vibe' this little guy does.
Thanks for reading my long winded story!

i2orNha.jpg
A very good amp. It was my first Marshall , about 20 years ago, in Brazil. I got it as a "second hand" amp and still have it. I used to play live, slaving it to a more powerfull amp, but now just for recording as it sounds great!

CROWEMAG

Reaction score
I live for stories such as this. The Bud sticker gives it something extra. Love that....although I do not partake.

gorn

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
When I was 16 (I'm 49 now), I was fairly certain I was going to be a rock star. And like most young left handed guitar players of my generation, I was also pretty sure I needed to play a Strat through a Marshall. One rainy evening in 1984, my mother took me to the local guitar/music store and bought me my first REAL guitar amplifier, a Marshall Lead 12. It was the least expensive Marshall they had. I remember looking at the stacks and the 2x12 combos, knowing they were way out of mums reach, but she could afford the Lead 12. The Lead 12 put up with a LOT of abuse! Three years of garage band beatings, talent shows, drunken parties, car trunks, etc. ALWAYS turned all the way up, never covered etc. Then I got married (at 19!!....) and sold it to my friends (singer in my high school garage band) little brother. He, in turn took it to college and beat it some more. Sadly, he passed away in 1990, and the amp found its way back to my friends parents garage and sat for 20 years. Once in a while I would wonder what I had done with that old Marshall. I didnt remember selling it, but many amps have come and gone in the 33 years since I was going to be a rock star... One day, quite recently, after connecting with my old singer friend on Facebook, the UPS guy dropped off a box. Inside was the Lead 12. I seriously cried and my 15 year old daughter said I was 'cute' for being so emotional about a small black box. After all those years, I couldnt believe I was looking at my first Marshall... A bit of electrical contact cleaner and some solder for the speaker wires later, she was up and running, just as loud and obnoxious as ever! I have since realized that I am not going to be a rock star, but an auto mechanic instead, and I have since been able to buy a couple of Mesas, but they dont have the 'vibe' this little guy does.
Thanks for reading my long winded story!

i2orNha.jpg
Love stories like this :D

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list. I bought my first guitar, a 1981 Les Paul Custom, in the summer of 1988. I then needed an amp. Well, this one said "Marshall" just like my buddy's JCM800 half stack, but was much less "obtrusive" than a big amp, so it followed me home the next day. Lead 12 was my first....I'll never forget her... :)
Nice story, do you still have the 81 Custom?

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great story @ETrask68, all these stories are great. I enjoy reading these kinds of gear experiences!

My first real amp was a two year old 1966 Fender Vibro Champ, and yes, I regret not keeping it. Even worse though, is what I did with it, it had stopped working properly so I threw it in the garbage,… yeah, stupid!

I had no clue, I was 12 years old!

Latest posts