The Marshall Amp that gets no respect (but SHOULD)

• Thread starter alvagoldbook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

alvagoldbook

Reaction score
Endlessly trashed, always rejected, never appreciated. That's seems to have been the latest fate for the mighty mighty JCM 900 4100.

In these sad times of reliving the 80's, with endless bad metal band looked at as if they are the king of tone, everyone has gone goo-goo for either the new stuff or the old stuff.

There will never be a shortage of people who love plexis, and rightfully there shouldn't be. And there's plenty of people who love JVMs, as rightfully there should be. You even have people who still cling to the notion that the muddy JCM 2000s are great amps. I can deal with that. Some are even die hard fans of Jubilees and the 6100. So am I.

But everyone seems to go goo goo over 2203's, and I never have. They bright, they don't have enough snarl, and that's all they do.

But what about the often mocked JCM 900 4100? It's mocked because it has diodes. No one seems to care that the Jubilee had diodes too.

Here's the reality: No amp in the history of music had a more raw in-your-face, bone-chilling angry as hell distortion sound like the mighty dual reverb. It was the best sounding amp in the world, and still is when it comes to raw angry rock music. No better amp in the world for punk rock. The amp was a dream.

Can I get an "amen" from someone out there in the audience? Anyone? Is that crickets I hear?

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
Silverchair's Frogstomp was recorded using that head. Also, Dave Navarro and the guitarist from Motorhead have used that amp live for years. It's not Marshall's worst offerring, but I prefer my 6100 over my 4100...not that the 4100 is for sale or going anywhere.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I love the JCM 900 series, especially the 4100DR. But, I don't completely share the same enthusiasm as the op (a little exagerrated, imo). There is plenty of room for other Marshalls, so thumbs up for the JCM 900 4100DR, but I don't completely share the same point of view of other Marshall as op (sorry).

Clammy

Reaction score
My first real Marshall was a 1990 4100. I gigged the hell out of that amp, and it never let me down. I could dial in great (to me, anyway) tones, and I dug the reverb and channel switching. The only downside to the 900s was that Marshall cheaped out on the iron (transformers), and they were prone to melting down. But, as I said, mine never let me down. I had it for 8 or 9 years, and sold it to an ex-bandmate when I got bit by the NMV/JMP bug (and had already switched to playing bass). As far as I know, he still has it. I actually wouldn't mind getting another one sometime (after I get me a late 70s/early 80s 2203! ;) )

Cheers!
:dude::dude::dude:

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

I am happy that there are folks that think the 900's are great. It helped keep them going when guys like me hated them and moved on. I am all for collecting the data on distances and trajectories for the 900 series but please, leave me out of the rest of it.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

I am happy that there are folks that think the 900's are great. It helped keep them going when guys like me hated them and moved on. I am all for collecting the data on distances and trajectories for the 900 series but please, leave me out of the rest of it.

MAN....... You kids and Your technologies.

I just gauge the distance, wet my finger to get a grip on wind direction, and just cut the rope in a fluid slashing motion.

It takes Practice to develop a good eye....

:lol::lol: TWIN

alvagoldbook

Reaction score
DSL's are not muddy, and can do everything the 900 can do and more.

Don't get me wrong. I like DSL's okay. Their clean channel blows the JCM 900 away. But their distortion is crap, I'm sorry. It's overly scooped. Lifeless. Ball-less. Crappy. And the TSL's, don't get me started. My band's rhythm guitarist had three of them, and every time their footswitch broke, there was a delay in channel switching (unlike the mighty 6100!), and every single one of those 3 amps broke.

No amp in the world rocked more than the 4100. Not even a Mesa or the lead channel on the 6100 (which is pretty bad ass) could hold a candle to the brutality of the 4100's "channel B".

Jason77

Reaction score
Hey, OP...

I have a pristine 4100 that I'll sell you for $1200. Quite a steal for the best amp Marshall put out in 30 years, wouldnt you agree?!

:D

alvagoldbook

Reaction score
Hey, OP...

I have a pristine 4100 that I'll sell you for $1200. Quite a steal for the best amp Marshall put out in 30 years, wouldnt you agree?!

:D

What do you mean by pristine? How many miles on this 4100 of yours? I have a 6100 I'll trade ya for it. I'd prefer a 4500 though. No sense in wasting money on extra tubes. Plus those amps didn't come alive until you cranked the master up to about 5 or 6, and I'd like to save my ears.

medicjg

Reaction score
I will bite on this.. Out of the box 4100 and DSL both need help. I think the for a clean sound the 4100 wins hands down. For a crunchy 2204 tone the green channel of the DSL wins. 4100 has better reverb and sounds good with SC or HB. DSL stock sounds like shit with SC. 4100 can be bought cheaper modded cheaper and is a beast. Effects loop is pretty decent too. IMO the 4100 is better money spent. But I will pick up another DSL when I can get one for the right price...

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's even close to the best amp marshall's made but, i'm an avid supporter of the 4500's myself. They're greatamps you just need to really use that EQ and not your "usual" settings or "eyes".

my only bitch is they're one trick ponies and by that i mean, you can set it for anything and do it well but, you can only get ONE sound at a time (save using your guitar knobs etc which i do anyway).

They're built better than the new breed but, no a 2205/2204 they aren't.

medicjg

Reaction score
I don't think it's even close to the best amp marshall's made but, i'm an avid supporter of the 4500's myself. They're greatamps you just need to really use that EQ and not your "usual" settings or "eyes".

my only bitch is they're one trick ponies and by that i mean, you can set it for anything and do it well but, you can only get ONE sound at a time (save using your guitar knobs etc which i do anyway).

They're built better than the new breed but, no a 2205/2204 they aren't.
Die I agree with you 100% It works great for biamping because you can dial it in to a great crunch thats thick. I use it as the wet signal with delay and chorus in the loop. Using it in this manner you dont need a whole lot of versatility. But you still have the great clean to switch to. Add your other favorite flavor in my case I either run it with 2205 or mkIII for a lead tone and your ready to scream. Lots of guys have great sounding marshalls. IMO nothing sound better than two marshalls. There cheap if you havent ever biamped it would be a great way to get started...