the mic thread, all about mics...

• Thread starter darrylportelli
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darrylportelli

Reaction score
hi
I would like to know the differences between mics, such as difference between large and small diaphragm condensors. what condensor mics can you use to record an amp. do condensors have a sound pressure level that you cant exceed? how do you mic an amp using a condensor?? ecc all the questions related to mics pls post here.

poeman33

Reaction score
You could write a book on miking guitars. Besides the standard SM-57, that is easy to use...with Condensor mics and large diaphrams, you have to make sure they can take the SPL's. One that has a switch where you can cut the Db's down is a good idea too. I am using an Audio Technica AT2035. It has a highpass filter (cuts the lows) and a 10db pad. It requires 48V phantom power, which is another thing to consider. It was not very expensive, but I am very impressed with it.

The 10db pad is used all the time when I am miking the cab. Otherwise it's tough to get a decent recording level. I use the high pass filter sometimes...it depends on what I want. If you don't use it you get a fuller sound, but sometimes it is too much in the mix. It still sounds full when you use it, but not quite as full. I've been using nothing but an SM57 for years...but am really digging this new mike at the moment.

darrylportelli

Reaction score
as for pad, I have a pad switch on my interface, and it also has 48v phantom power so that is no problem. I was looking at the behringer c1 and c3 mics, their dirt cheap (~40 euros) and from the clips I heard they're good. I wanted a condensor for classical guitar (dynamic mics do not pick up the needed level) and for some recording for drums cos I saw a vid on how to record drums with one mic and the dude got some preety good results and id like to try that.

darrylportelli

Reaction score
so today I went and bought myself a new sm57 since I never had one,
its a really good mic for guitar I think from the little time I used it with my laney combo. It picks up certain small transparent sounds that give the guitar sound character.

what I wanted to know is how to record a classical guitar with it. since it is a dynamic mic it doesnt pick up low volumes easily so the wave on my DAW is very very low in amplitude

thetragichero

Reaction score
turn up the gain
generally though a condensor will get you want you need for acoustic (they're also good for miking a cab from far away (when combined with a dynamic mic up close)

i've used sm57s for years (for a long time they were the ONLY mic i had), and i'm excited to try the e609 that should be here tomorrow

impetus maximus

Reaction score
having the mic pointed toward the outer part of the speaker will give you more lows and less highs.
pointing it toward the middle of the cone will give you more highs.
for me with my ZOOM H1 mic, half way out from the center sounded the best.
this is with Gibby 61 RI SG, 1W FireFly/2x12 greenback speakers

using multiple mics (condenser/ribbon) is pretty common. just make sure they are in phase with each other!

darrylportelli

Reaction score
having the mic pointed toward the outer part of the speaker will give you more lows and less highs.

using multiple mics (condenser/ribbon) is pretty common. just make sure they are in phase with each other!

I wish I could try a condenser and condenser/dynamic pair for recording, un fortunately I just bought the sm57 yesterday and Im REALLY cash dry!!!

my rig is at a point where Im really happy with the sound so I dont have much ''need'' for guitar equipment as much as I have ''want'' for it. this means that now it was time to invest in a mic for recording

what I can try out is 2 sm57's (other guitarist in the band has got one too).

Iv only tried micing the laney at home cos its boring having to go to the garage just to mic the amp, what Im gonna do is first learn a good cover song
then go mic the marshall to record it.

poeman33

Reaction score

When I use two mics, I always have each mic in a separate channel, and you can deal with the phase issues much better that way...plus EQ each of them individually, move them in the mix, etc.

SoloDallas

Reaction score
Sm57s have been a standard for decades. But I really am for condenser, large diaphgram ones. My holy grail is the fantastic Neumann U67. Best guitar condenser mic of all times.

luekemeyer

Reaction score
Here is my SM-57 a X2u (XLR to USB converter).

Here is a link with the specs of the X2u..
http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_x2u_specsheet.pdf

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

darrylportelli

Reaction score
another question......
I have a yamaha spx-90 fx processor, now I know that some effects preferably go after the mic, into the insert jack. question is which effects go after the mic (instead of directly into the amp) and why to they need to be after the mic ??

thetragichero

Reaction score
i would save any time-based effects until sometimes later in the process; that is, record the tracks 'dry' and worry about them before mixing so you don't kill a lot of tracking time (and energy) trying to get that delay or reverb just right

When I use two mics, I always have each mic in a separate channel, and you can deal with the phase issues much better that way...plus EQ each of them individually, move them in the mix, etc.
i'm still relatively new with anything more advanced than my old four track recorder... but what i get from that is that you can cure phase issues from two mics on one cab by adjusting the where they are in the stereo field?

poeman33

Reaction score
i would save any time-based effects until sometimes later in the process; that is, record the tracks 'dry' and worry about them before mixing so you don't kill a lot of tracking time (and energy) trying to get that delay or reverb just right

i'm still relatively new with anything more advanced than my old four track recorder... but what i get from that is that you can cure phase issues from two mics on one cab by adjusting the where they are in the stereo field?

I always record my stuff dry and add FX tracks as needed.

I pretty well put my mics in the same place all the time, but the last recording I did had phase issues for some reason, and that is exactly what cured it. I just moved the individual tracks in the stereo field. I don't know what caused the phase issue...but if I did, you could probably also put them out of phase for a different sound effect if you wanted to.

darrylportelli

Reaction score
what I like to do is first record a track, then record the exact same thing on another track and pan each track hard right and left,
what this does is, when you play, even tough you're playing the exact same thing, you add subtle changes to the playing which when the 2 tracks are combined really opens up the stereo field.

what you can also do is record with 2 mics, condense the 2 tracks into one and pan it hard right, then re record using 2 mics and condense the 2 tracks to one and pan it hard left, that way you'd be getting different mic placements in the recording....

I also have to experiment on placing the mic behind the cab, it really captures some bass back there, but I think its best if you use 2 mics, one in front and one at the back and not mic the front, record , then mic the back because those subtle differences in playing would be too much...( I dont know if Im making sense)

thetragichero

Reaction score
i double all guitar tracks, but i won't pan anything hard left or right unless it's a two guitar band, where one of each of their tracks gets panned hard left/right and the other one gets panned 35-55%
if it's one guitar, i'll pan around 45-55% so it widens the stereo field but doesn't make the extreme right/left channels too disparate through headphones