• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
In all reality, the new DSL's are a conglomeration of all the best parts of a lot of older amps. I would imagine the next version will have all the midi and switching problems worked out...

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
You never did. Even if the values of R84 and R77 were equal it wouldn't matter. The unequal circuit just insures there is no oscillation or other strange currents introduced into the finals.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
You never did. Even if the values of R84 and R77 were equal it wouldn't matter. The unequal circuit just insures there is no oscillation or other strange currents introduced into the finals.

Thanks and way over my head Micky however apparently " balanced " PI's are the cat's meow on specific amp types.
Perhaps it's just another tone is in the hands / tone is in the wood debates.?
BP

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
There are interesting arguments both ways.
Those who prefer tone like unbalanced.
Those who prefer power like balanced.

Personally I like reliability, so I don't care either way.

Mjojo51

Reaction score
I have the dsl 40c with the vintage 30. Put a nos RCA 12at7 in v1. Clean/ crunch ch. Sounds the same but makes od. channel killer for classic rock/ blues tones for my taste. Also cut c19 and between this and at7 no more fizzy nasty unbalanced high end in od ch. Also reduced R43 to half its value and fixed the weak reverb issue now It works as it should have in the first place.

Patrick1959

Reaction score
Gents, I have installed a Celestion G12 Vintage 30, 16 Ohm speaker in my DSl 40c. Powered up the amp, clean channel, volume on 0, gain on 3. rolled volume to 3, strummed a chord and all I get is distortion and other odd sounds. I put a few chords together on a looper and let it play for a few hours at around 3 volume with no improvement to the sound quality. Do I have a bad speaker, or does the speaker need to be played longer. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Gents, I have installed a Celestion G12 Vintage 30, 16 Ohm speaker in my DSl 40c. Powered up the amp, clean channel, volume on 0, gain on 3. rolled volume to 3, strummed a chord and all I get is distortion and other odd sounds. I put a few chords together on a looper and let it play for a few hours at around 3 volume with no improvement to the sound quality. Do I have a bad speaker, or does the speaker need to be played longer. Thanks in advance
Does the old speaker sound OK?

Patrick1959

Reaction score
Does the old speaker sound OK?
Yes, it's the original seventy-80 speaker, it sounds good, The amp is fine. I changed a 10" speaker in another amp a few years ago, it was good to go out of the box. I just wasn't sure if the 12" speakers had an extreme break in period or not. This one sounds terrible. No visible damage on the speaker or packaging from amazon. Scratching my head.....

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's new, odds are very high against it.
If you have yet another speaker, plug it in just to make sure...

Patrick1959

Reaction score
I only have the stock and the new one. The Seventy-80 is still in great shape, I was just looking for the british-classic rock tone and bite, something with a little more balls. Hopefully expedite a refund or exchange tomorrow. Amazon rep says I'll have to deal with Celestion directly. So be it. Should be a treat.:wallbash:

KraftyBob

Reaction score
I think you're right. What are the odds of a new blown speaker? Anyway, thanks Micky.
With the speaker out and sitting face up on a table (magnet down), if you push down on the cone with equal pressure across the cone, do you hear a scratching sound? If so, the speaker is bad.

I had a bad speaker I pulled out of a cab I bought used (happens to be a V30 also). You can hear a bad (the first one) and good speaker in this video I did. This is what voicecoil rub sounds like.

Patrick1959

Reaction score
With the speaker out and sitting face up on a table (magnet down), if you push down on the cone with equal pressure across the cone, do you hear a scratching sound? If so, the speaker is bad.

I had a bad speaker I pulled out of a cab I bought used (happens to be a V30 also). You can hear a bad (the first one) and good speaker in this video I did. This is what voicecoil rub sounds like.

Thanks for the info, I've already packed it up and waiting for return instruction from Amazon. No doubt it's faulty though. Thanks again!

Patrick1959

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I've already packed it up and waiting for return instruction from Amazon. No doubt it's faulty though. Thanks again!
RECAP: after playing hot potato with the speaker return, Amazon refunded the purchase price, and said to dispose of it myself. I pulled the speaker out of the packing box and did the depression test on the cone. It did not make a sound going in, but on the way back out it makes a "grunting " sound. Did you have your faulty speaker repaired or did you trash it?

MarshallDog

Reaction score
RECAP: after playing hot potato with the speaker return, Amazon refunded the purchase price, and said to dispose of it myself. I pulled the speaker out of the packing box and did the depression test on the cone. It did not make a sound going in, but on the way back out it makes a "grunting " sound. Did you have your faulty speaker repaired or did you trash it?

Just trash it not worth the time and money to get it repaired in my experience!!